• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Comics

Birmingham Comic Mart. Did anyone attend these ? Viv.

Source: British Newspaper Archive
I remember going to a few in the 80s or 90s - generally for the stuff that wasn't in N&C or the other comic shops and keeping to books mostly because it was hard to follow a series with their schedules.

The best comic EVER was TV Century 21 - based on the Gerry Anderson shows (Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, etc). My stash was "thrown away" during a house tidy up when I was 10 (still gutted!) but over the years I have obtained a few from here and there, plus various annuals. I'll post a few covers over the weekend when I find them in the loft!

had a pile of beano dandy topper dennis the menace annuals in the loft for years but i have put them in the recycle box it's time to let go of them now me thinks

As a junior pupil at Elkington St school in the mid sixties. My two shillings weekly pocket money would stretch
to a Beezer comic, bottle of corona, and a mars bar. The Beezer would usually get swapped with other kids for a Beano
or Dandy during the week.

My favourite Comics where the Topper, Beano, Dandy, Bunty and Mandy. Loved the Bunty, because of the cut out doll each week on the back. I used to draw around the little doll and design and colour new outfits for her. I once won a camera in a competition in the Diana comic. First time I used it was to photograph Gypsy Moth in Plymouth 1967.

Attachments

• Bunty.jpg
    Bunty.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 4

My favourite Comics where the Topper, Beano, Dandy, Bunty and Mandy. Loved the Bunty, because of the cut out doll each week on the back. I used to draw around the little doll and design and colour new outfits for her. I once won a camera in a competition in the Diana comic. First time I used it was to photograph Gypsy Moth in Plymouth 1967.
I was there that night as well and went on the boat trip next day around the boat.
Bob

Ps sorry for divergence on ttheme

Not certain if anyone was aware the Beano illustrator off the "Bash Street kids" died last week on Thursday aged 89. Been in the same job for 60 years.

So sad to see him go! The Beano et Al helped so many “lighten up” or relax and smile which we all need a little of!
Thanks for sharing…..

i loved brassneck
images
:grinning:
images

The best comic EVER was TV Century 21 - based on the Gerry Anderson shows (Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, etc). My stash was "thrown away" during a house tidy up when I was 10 (still gutted!) but over the years I have obtained a few from here and there, plus various annuals. I'll post a few covers over the weekend when I find them in the loft!
As promised - here are a few TV21 covers. The Gerry Anderson shows did have Birmingham connections of course - the shows were commissioned by ATV, and the sound was recorded and mixed in Edgbaston.

Oldest one I've got is #17 - featuring Fireball XL5 - note the teaser for Lady Penelope in Thunderbirds still a year away:-
1674950196236.png

Next we go to a (rather battered) Stingray Holiday Special (found for 50p in a front garden sale in Falmouth):-
1674949999069.png

Next we go to Thunderbirds - including the teaser edition and the first edition:-
1674950103156.png
1674950128039.png

This is a holiday special to celebrate the first feature film " Thunderbirds Are Go":-
1674950326982.png

Each edition was written like a newspaper with headlines guaranteed to make you part with your sevenpence:-
1674950465888.png
1674950493537.png

Last edited:
Then along came Captain Scarlet - here is his first edition:-
1674950578577.png

By now the format was (sadly) changing:-
1674950645940.png
1674950669224.png
1674950696713.png

Finally it merged with the new kid on the block - Joe 90:-
1674950787041.png
1674950818275.png
1674950867258.png

Eventually other (non-Anderson) productions were included:-
1674950908303.png
1674950977453.png
1674952201709.png

Happy Days!!!

Last edited:
what a great collection mark...thanks for sharing them with us..think i may have a couple of beano comics somewhere

lyn

Back