• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Comics

How about the Dandy, Beano & Beezer.

View attachment 154020
Just seen this - for anyone who may be in London later this year!

I also remember another free gift, but cannot remember which comic it was in. It might even have been in a box of Corn Flakes. I think it was called a Whizzer. It consisted of a loop of string and a circular piece of cardboard, cut like a gear wheel. The string went through to holes in the cardboard and you had to pull the string to start the wheel spinning. When it was spinning fast enough it would give off a whizzing sound. Just like the Thunder Bang, it did not last long but could easily be repaired or upgraded. Hours of fun for nothing.

I also remember another free gift, but cannot remember which comic it was in. It might even have been in a box of Corn Flakes. I think it was called a Whizzer. It consisted of a loop of string and a circular piece of cardboard, cut like a gear wheel. The string went through to holes in the cardboard and you had to pull the string to start the wheel spinning. When it was spinning fast enough it would give off a whizzing sound. Just like the Thunder Bang, it did not last long but could easily be repaired or upgraded. Hours of fun for nothing.
See my earlier post. #54. A Dandy free gift but I also remember them from Lion and Tiger comics

Were comics like the Judy and Bunty made of course paper, not like the glossy, finer grade paper used today ? Maybe it was recycled paper ? I also remember the Rupert Bear annual being made with courser paper, a bit like thin blotting paper. One I remember had a red linen binding along the spine and a cardboard cover. Quite crudely made really. And they were very think annuals, must have had a lot of pages. I liked the feel of that coarser paper, warm to the touch. Viv.
Yes, most comic were made from low grade paper that would yellow after a few years, the annuals were better quality. I don't really like the glossy paper they have nowadays. However, I do remember that the summer specials in the 70s were always glossy, they were a great read and the average price in those days was a whole 25p!

See my earlier post. #54. A Dandy free gift but I also remember them from Lion and Tiger comics
Any old comics with free gifts are highly prized by collectors nowadays, especially as most gifts were used, discarded, lost or broken at the time.

When young I loved Enid Blyton. Read all the famous 5 books, over and over, they lived in a world I could only dream of, adventures, sea side, lashings of food and drink they had bicycles and rich uncles, everything I did not, so would read them at night tucked up in bed with my torch. Then sleep and dream of going on adventurer's, Paul
Ha, yes, I loved the Famous Five as well, Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy the dog! I especially loved the mystery series with the 'five find outers', I read pretty much the whole lot. The secret seven books were also good as were the mallory towers and st clare's series (my sisters books).

The Mystery series with Fatty!! Probably banned now... And yes Mallory Towers...oh i used to dream about being a 'boarder'. I can't think of anything worse now! haha

The Mystery series with Fatty!! Probably banned now... And yes Mallory Towers...oh i used to dream about being a 'boarder'. I can't think of anything worse now! haha
I think a lot of Enid Blyton's old books have been amended now for new editions...

As a child in the 1950's I had the Eagle comic delivered, sometime I bought the Beano or Dandy when in a shop. When I left school and started work in 1961 I used to buy American comics such as 'Creepy Worlds' Mystic tales' etc . all were one shilling. I still have a pile of them in the loft

Back