• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Comics Part 2

Some of us could have packed up comics by the time that one came out, GIRLS come to mind

The Beezer (called The Beezer and Topper for the last 3 years of its life) was a British comic that ran from (issues dates) 21 January 1956 to 21 August 1993, when it merged with The Beano. Like its sister comic, The Topper, the Beezer was an A3 ( tabloid) publication, meaning it was twice as big as other comics. It shrank down to A4 paper size like the others in 1981

I loved Roy of the Rovers and my mom said I should have been born a boy. The girly girls had the Bunty. Pete has Dandy, Beano, Battle, Hotspur, and Roy of the Rovers. His Battle is dated 1979. We have a dresser full of them and a lot date back way before the date mentioned. He also has Knockout Bezzer and some he can't remember. He still reads them but don't tell him I told you. Jean.

I remember Mickey the Monkey was on the Topper. But does anybody remember what was on the front of the Beezer ? Now I think of it, cant remember what was on the Dandy front either - more a Beano man meself, dandy was a bit girlie .. lol
I didnt read comics all that much, just on days like today when it was pissing down with rain and dark n dingy.

More into DC comics, which Burkes in Cattell Rd and the paper shop on Cov Rd by the police station seemed to stock loads of. There was Superman / Woman / Girl / Boy, yeah, but do I really remember a Superdog one ???

As a kid in the 40's and 50's Alf I was really lucky. My parents bought me Lion - Grandparents, the Knockout,- an Aunt, the Eagle and two other Aunts, the Radio Fun and Film Fun. Christmas usually brought an Annual off each as well. My other Grandparents (Dad's side) didn't hold with comics so bought me "the Childrens Newspaper" instead, but bits of that was interesting sometimes. I always thought the Eagle was the best.
Mike

Oh happy days Mike

There you are Beamer thought you knew everything about anything as long as it began with BBBB

Still have all my EAGLE ANNUALS. SOME WITH THE ORIGINAL DUST COVERS ALSO OTHER ANNUALS FROM MY BOY HOOD DAYS as I have said on this forum before I am a HORDER LOL

Trevor I hope those were not your Comics each week or e won't beable to go into the Snug again.

Still have all my EAGLE ANNUALS. SOME WITH THE ORIGINAL DUST COVERS ALSO OTHER ANNUALS FROM MY BOY HOOD DAYS as I have said on this forum before I am a HORDER LOL

Those fantastic cut away pictures!.

Hello Alf, no they are not mine. I don't think I have read a comic for about fifty five years. They are in a book of adverts from the fifties and I will post some more tomorrow.

Maggie, behave yourself.

Have you noticed that if you buy one of these anuals today, the clothing fashions have never changed and are still the same as when I used to read them in the late 50's.

This might seem like a joke or a comic sketch but it is perfectly true,

My oldest brother who is 12 years older than me loved any comics, even as an adult. We used to live just off the College Road opposite the College Arms and when I was about 12 or 13 we both went over to the shop Richards which was close by to get something for Mom (can't remember what).

Before we got to the shop my brother gave me some money and said "when you get in the shop buy a comic as well". So we walked into the shop and I said "what comic do you want Michael" . He was about 25 at the time, and a very attractive young lady in her early 20's was serving me, as you can imagine he went as red as a beetroot and then told me off for embarrasing him when we left the shop !.

I'm a bit late posting this, but I only just noticed this thread.

One of my favourite comic heroes, Dan Dare, celebrated his 60th anniversary on 14th April, as did the comic in which he made his debut in the very first issue, Eagle.

I used to love his battle with the Mekon, but there were so many good comics around at the time for both boys and girls. I also liked the Victor, with Alf Tupper, the Tough of the Track. The Valiant, was another one I enjoyed, with Legge's Eleven, a bunch if misfit footballers.

I was buying comics for my grandchildren recently, and looked at the range on offer. In my opinion they are very poor and are nowhere near the standard of the comics we used to read. Or am I being too nostalgic?

My lads sometimes get comics and now they are full of adverts for Breakfast cereal, all I remember when I was a lads were adverts for Stamp Collecting

View attachment 49831Hello Alf, I am sorry about the delay with this reply and no I did not read those girls comics. I attempted to photograhp a page in my 1950s scrap book. It is a double page and rather large so I have tried again with two pics.
View attachment 49830

Back