• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Comics Part 2

Glad you like the pics Alf. It is all about 50s products and memories.

Does anyone remember Look and Learn? They were really good. I was a fan of the Bunty and was even in the Bunty club and still have my membership card to this day. Sad really.

Look and Learn was an excellent magazine and I'm sure many kids learnt a lot from it. At one time my wife's brother had a huge collection of them. I must ask him if he's still got them.

Wilson of the "Wizard" he was my favourite...and he was 150 years old.

Browsing through this thread I had a flashback.
On the back page of the Wizard there was allways a jolly old feature to rouse patriotic fervour among the young readers. Anyroad.
In the early 60s my regiment shared a barracks with the 10th Hussars. We noticed a bloke walking about the camp wearing a turban with his cap badge stuck in the front. Apparently he was a bit of a rebel and claimed it was an affront to his religion if he couldn't wear his turban.
On making enquiries of a friendly Donkeywalloper he referred us to a feature on the back of the Wizard which related the story of a young bloke in the northern regions of Malaya who had an urge to join the British Army. The nearest recruiting office was somewhere down the south of the country so the lad got on his bike and rode the length of Malaya to achieve his ambition. That young bloke evolved into the rebellious Trooper we saw before us.
Good old Wizard !

One thing I remember from the Look & Learn in the days of the Ranger incorporation was a strip that was called either "Britons never shall be slaves" or "In the days of good queen cleo". As far as I can tell they were the earliest English versions of the Asterix strip and, although they kept all of the pictures, they completely rewrote the text renaming all the characters.

Back