• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Comics & magazines

33bus. I was born late 1938 so as you see just a few years younger but its only these past few years that I became aware of Max Miller.
I love his kind of humour, much better than some of them today.

Last edited:
Remember well commics were no no in our house - However my music teacher Miss Perrot must have liked me she would buy me Dandy or Beano - which I had to hide LOL

Just looking through my old stuff this week and I came across some MAD Comics? Some 198Os 1990s and a few others anyone else collected them.

Saw one today on the Web which I had in the 50s $8000

Alf, my eldest son used to read and collect the MAD comics, in fact I think we still have a box full of them in our loft. Perhaps they are worth something now !!

My favourite when I was young was the Girl comic, which was sister comic to the Eagle which I think was a classic for boys.

33bus. I was born late 1938 so as you see just a few years younger but its only these past few years that I became aware of Max Miller.
I love his kind of humour, much better than some of them today.

Enjoy this lot then mate. I think he's great

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBBonVMUlFY&feature=related"]YouTube - Max Miller, The Cheeky Chappie on Stage[/ame]

Alf, I remember loads of comic - Beano, Dandy, Film Fun, School Friend etc but my favourite was always "Girl". Have a look at this

https://www.bl.uk/collections/comics.html

The silver age of the comic was the 1950s, epitomised by the Eagle (1950-1969), with its good-quality paper, full colour photogravure, excellent artwork and front-page hero, Dan Dare, by Frank Hampson, doing battle against the Mekon. Up until this time, comics had been aimed at both boys and girls, but a definite gender split began to open up, with the Eagle and Girl (1951-1964) clearly aimed at different markets.

Hi all,

I remember Beano and Dandy, "Bash Street Kids" and "Dennis the Menace " were my favourites, I also remember "minnie the minx".

When I got a bit older (11yrs) ! - I used to get the "Diana" comic with useful tips on how to update your wardrobe!! - Mom used to go crazy 'cos I ruined so many clothes in my attempts, then there was the problem page - (Claire I think), the other good comic for the girls was "Bunty" , I always wanted to look like one of the models they had in Diana - they all had oversized eyelashes, nice bone structure and were always tall, - sadly I had none of those attributes so I eventually gave up and became happy with ME!!

I remember Boys Own but after the 1920s.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit before even the Thylacine's sporting times, Stitcher, though "Boy's Own" does ring a bell! These are rare and lovely images. Thanks.

Many periodicals were aimed at female sport. We think ourselves pretty advanced these days, but those plucky lasses of the 20's and 30's were way beyond the 'make-up'/'celebrity' obsessed youth of today. It is a crying shame that womens' football is nowhere as developed as it once was, way back in the dark ages!

Was it, I wonder because it was just accepted that girls enjoyed. and took part in various sports?? Many schools had netball and hockey teams for the girls and of course, when all this was stopped it was not easy for 2 or 3 girls to carry on these activities in the park as it was for boys with cricket & football.

To be honest, apart from certain practical advances, we've learned nowt, and forgotten too much. But there again, I was 'old fashioned' even as a five year old ... and now I'm a dinosaur!

Re' womens' sport .... I think once sport became a 'big earner' then women lost-out big time. I had rather hoped, that once most sport had been 'stolen' by SKY SPORTS, that there would be a reemergence of female football/cricket on terrestial TV; but no, an opportunity lost etc.

Sorry, I know I'm a tad off-topic here, it's a bit of a bug-bear of mine!
(a secret feminist!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your not alone in that way of thinking JohnO, and I suppose it's alright to go with the flow but I can not help thinking how great this country could have become if the works past artists, inventers and such had been built upon.

Back