• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Colourise BW pic

arcaduran

knowlegable brummie
Some of you kind people managed to remove all the creases from a photo I uploaded - Is there anybody who has the capability to colourise the same pic? (attached the original & an edited version) - I've tried free online converters with minimal success.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 48
  • cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 49
Sort of relevant. Does anyone remember the hand colourising kits from years ago They were sold specifically for photos. My Mum had one, a box with several bottles of colours, very liquid, just like water, and some brushes. She spent several happy hours painting old photos with a very fine brush. I remember the flesh colour was quite good, made for a particular job. The others were generic blues, reds etc just to get as close as required. I don't think the colours were intended to be mixed, they were used straight from the bottle, perhaps overpainted to change shades.
Andrew

Sort of relevant. Does anyone remember the hand colourising kits from years ago They were sold specifically for photos. My Mum had one, a box with several bottles of colours, very liquid, just like water, and some brushes. She spent several happy hours painting old photos with a very fine brush. I remember the flesh colour was quite good, made for a particular job. The others were generic blues, reds etc just to get as close as required. I don't think the colours were intended to be mixed, they were used straight from the bottle, perhaps overpainted to change shades.
Andrew
I recall the colourizing kits as I got interested in photography, there were also retouching kits for the people who developed and printed their own photos.

My dad colourized quite a few of his photos from his time abroad during and after WWII. They did look quite effective.

Some of you kind people managed to remove all the creases from a photo I uploaded - Is there anybody who has the capability to colourise the same pic? (attached the original & an edited version) - I've tried free online converters with minimal success.
One from me, John.

Attachments

• colour 31Dec 2021.jpg
    colour 31Dec 2021.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 18
I have one from a 1946 photo of me that was coloured after my first bike age 13 a Raleigh with Cyclo Ace gears

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 24
Went for a long walk in the sunshine this morning - came back and played with graphical image manipulation ... :)
Z_original.jpg

This is a hand coloured b&w photo from around 1951, it is of my elder brother and me. The quality of the colouring is amazing.
I find it fascinating that we are now able to digitally colourise b&w photos although this process (at times) is controversial and of course rarely includes a list of the colours to be used.
Photography has always been a hobby of mine, in the early 60s I started to develop my own b&w films and distinctly remember trying to hand colour some of them, without any success I might add.

Attachments

• hand-coloured.jpg
    hand-coloured.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 19
Back