• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colour Photos August 1939

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
If you have not already seen them, have a look at these holiday snaps from a forgotten age: Remarkable collection of colour photos are found of couple's honeymoon 900 mile road trip around Britain a month before the outbreak of World War Two. The couple even took their cat which can be seen in one pic.
Some lovely scenes of England long ago.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-road-trip-picture-Britain-outbreak-WWII.html

Last edited:
Those are delightful, and an inspiration to get the camera out and take photos. Its quite surprising how much change can be captured in a few photos.

Looking at Prentice St Lavenham where the smart Salvation Army lady is walking, it is interesting to see in today's street view that the roughcast has been removed from some houses to expose the original wooden beams.

Thoroughly enjoyed looking at, and reading, about this extraordinary discovery, Oldmohawk, thank you very much for posting one of the few things which make the forum so interesting. Regards Paul stacey

what amazing photos taken just before our country was turned upside down and such good quality as well...little treasures for the family concerned...thanks phi

lyn

Nearly missed this thread. Thanks to my old buddy John, I have not. Birmingham born and bred, I owe the city for making me what I am today. Lots of memories of places, and people are still dear to me. However, I now know why I live in North Norfolk. Wonderful Photo's. The church is at Little Sheringham, and the spring water font (just behind the car bonnet) permanently flows with crystal clear, cold spring water. I often pass this church, and the hamlet of Little Sheringham has not changed in a hundred years. The bridge photo, as suggested, is possibly near to Cley on Sea, but in North Norfolk it could be almost anywhere. There are many narrow bridges like this, and one has to be careful when approaching them by car. The narrow lanes are also still there. We live in one!. It is still beautiful old English country side, and the coast views have not changed. Visit us while you can. They are now building dual carriage ways into Norfolk, and the county will not be the same in a few years time. Thank you for the wonderful photo's.

What a great find. Hard to believe that Hitler was around.
Really interesting to try and locate the shots and not easy to do.

These images could almost be an accompaniment to an excellent book I recall reading - "I Saw Two Englands" by H.V. Morton which describes his journey through England a few months later, just after the outbreak of war. It was a follow-up to an earlier work "In Search of England".

(Henry Morton was a well-known journalist and travel writer, the son of an editor of the Birmingham Mail and a pupil at K.E.S.)

Chris

I also born and bred in Birmingham like Eddie. Glad that he got to see the wonderful photos. Living in the USA such a vast country, I REALLY miss the English countryside. The photos could have been taken anywhere in the British Isle (UK now I guess). I only hope that I once again can visit the land of MY birth and get to enjoy all the beauty that there is to see there. Maybe even visit Eddie in Norfolk? John Crump OldBrit. Parker, Colorado USA

One of my favourites is photo 7 in the 2nd group and shows Sincil Dike in Lincoln. The way Gt Uncle Eldred has captured the reflection of Lincoln Cathedral and the arched bridge in the still water makes it almost look like a painting. He certainly knew how to choose a scene. I've had a look at today's scene and it is so different, the pretty bridge has gone but that is the way things are ....

Just a minor correction to my earlier message. The sea village in Norfolk is correctly named Cley next the Sea. We have many weird names in Norfolk!! Any weird actual place names in Birmingham? It could be an interesting thread.

Oldbrit...John like you l'm a brummie born and bred in Aston and proud of it.....as you say the USA is a huge country and l've traveled quite a bit but nothing compares with the british countryside, when l was evacuated in ww2 l always said l would never live in a city only the countryside..little did l know it would be another country, l've promised myself if l ever win the lottery l would buy a summer house in england and come back to texas for the winter....every week l keep my fingers crossed...Brernda

Oldbrit...John like you l'm a brummie born and bred in Aston and proud of it.....as you say the USA is a huge country and l've traveled quite a bit but nothing compares with the british countryside, when l was evacuated in ww2 l always said l would never live in a city only the countryside..little did l know it would be another country, l've promised myself if l ever win the lottery l would buy a summer house in england and come back to texas for the winter....every week l keep my fingers crossed...Brernda

hi brenda good luck..we would love to have you back:encouragement:

lyn

Living in the area, I have attempted to fit locations with photo's. VERY DIFFICULT! However, I can only cover North Norfolk, and think that locations may be as follows:
Photo 1. Definitely North Norfolk and approaching the salt marshes, so maybe between Stiffkey & Cley Next the Sea, from the hills behind.
Photo 3. Typical Norfolk poppy field. Suggest taken May/June as poppy's are just beginning to bloom in the fields. Could be anywhere.
Photo 18. Shernborne. The small triangular grass sections are still in the village centre, and the village remains much the same. It only has around two dozen homes, and the
area is part of the Royal Sandrigham Estate. Photo taken looking North?
Photo 19 River Stiffkey. This is definitely in the village of Stiffkey (about 5k east of Cley next the Sea). It looks like the narrow road that joins with the A149 coast road. Will
have to visit the location again this summer to confirm.
Photo 20. Again, this is still the North Norfolk coast line. Finally,if you visited Little Sheringham Church today, with the same type of car, the picture could be duplicated
perfectly.
Photo 13. The pump photo could be either Suffolk or Norfolk judging by the house stonework. Suggest Norfolk, where there are many beach stones.
Photo's 5 & 22. Again look like the North Norfolk coastline. It was 75 years ago, so hopefully the above info helps

#18. Shernborne. Looking east. There is a sign still there..may not be the same one. If it is the paint has been worn away. The buildings on the left of the picture still remain.
#20. I thought it was Upper Sheringham and yes remarkably almost the same scene. You can see the water running down from the well where the container was being filled.

The view at Boston is not nearly as interesting today but the rectangular Corn Office is still there.

Beverly Minster is another view that is little changed. The pasture is still the same but the old farm building is gone.

Some very interesting and delightful 'photos here; the bonus being that most a re coloured.

Some views have changed little, other more so, but a lot of older buildings are still there to be seen. Maybe Boston has changed in some places but the famous 'Stump' - a great landmark to sailors - is still there. Many of the Norfolk views are charming, I have seen much of the area when visiting Sandringham and Walsingham areas.

The York walls were instantly recognizeable - well, it was only last October that I was walking along them.

Back