• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colmore Row

Got it in one. Mike. If it's anything like Greece, there will suddenly appear some dotted yellow lines on that space and businesses will be fines heavily if their tables and chair encroach three inches over that line - a good money spinner for the Council! :)

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
is it just me being daft as usual,or is it a long bus
I thought it looked long as well, but being as they are governed by law as to length, width etc, I eventually realised and decided it was just the camera angle, because as we are all aware Ell is one of these new 'avant garde' cameramen. Whatever, it s still an excellent photo, if I had tried to take it, you would be looking at the cathedral, because the bus would have moved.

Bob

It was taken on my smartphone camera.

Single deckers with National Express West Midlands are usually that long.

Here's one of the Santa Express last December 2019 (taken on my proper camera).

This double decker in November 2019 was taken on my smartphone camera.

It was taken on my smartphone camera.

Single deckers with National Express West Midlands are usually that long.

Here's one of the Santa Express last December 2019 (taken on my proper camera).

This double decker in November 2019 was taken on my smartphone camera.

loverly clear pics.thanks EB

I took some photos of Cathedral Court, 15 Colmore Row. Which is part of the Hortons' Estate.

It was built in 1989 to replace a Victorian building that was on the corner with Livery Street.

Seems to retain the character / shape of the previous building on this site.

Next to the Grand Hotel

Barclays Bank, Cathedral Court, Colmore Row
by ell brown, on Flickr

by ell brown, on Flickr

by ell brown, on Flickr

by ell brown, on Flickr

by ell brown, on Flickr

Does anyone have photos of the previous building on this site? I know it looked all black and grimey.
I know this is an old post I'm replying to, but when this was being built I worked in the offices above Snowhill Station (the ones shown in post #8). One day a workman cut through the power & phone cables turning that end of Colmore Row into darkness. We all got sent home from work early as they were not going to get it fixed by the end of the working day :D

It’s interesting that the buildings to the right up to the building with the clock (corner of Waterloo Street) were at some time removed and not replaced. (These buildings were addressed as ‘Victoria Square’). This would have meant a better view of the Council House from across Victoria Square. Would this have been the reason for their disappearance ? Or was WW2 bombing to blame ? Viv.

It’s interesting that the buildings to the right up to the building with the clock (corner of Waterloo Street) were at some time removed and not replaced. (These buildings were addressed as ‘Victoria Square’). This would have meant a better view of the Council House from across Victoria Square. Would this have been the reason for their disappearance ? Or was WW2 bombing to blame ? Viv.
The buildings were apparently not bombed in WW2 as seen in this VJ Celebration in Colmore Row near Victoria Square.

ColmoreRow Celebration__Milk_BarMist (1).jpg
I used my computer to add colour to this pic .... :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Oldmohawk, didn’t think they were as can’t remember ever seeing any images of war damage. So they were probably removed as part of the development of Victoria Square. Viv.

I sometimes walked to that area, during the early 1950's, as one or more of the shipping lines often had a large model boat in the window. Little realising that in a few years time I might see their big brothers in the English Channel.

The photo looks to have been taken from the town hall side of Victoria Square and the foreshortening effect seen in old photos makes things look nearer than they really are. The building on the right with the clock is on the corner of Waterloo Street and the 'Turn Right' sign probably warns traffic on Paradise Street not to turn left towards Congreve Street which they could do before the 1940s. Galloways Corner is out of shot on the right.

Viv
Going to argue with you about the date, the AEC bus on route 4 was out of regular service by 1948 and the other two buses have yellow roofs, all of which was altered by the war, after which all roofs were khaki.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. It was listed on eBay as 1948. Must have been an old postcard used in 1948 and/or perhaps a reprint? Viv.

Back