• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colmore Row

Pardon my ignorance, what is the giant disc behind the Hall of Memory and also the bridge like structure behind that? Your picture shows how orderly we are, coming towards you on the right hand side (your left) and going from you on the left hand side, in other words keeping right. The old photographers loved to animate their photos with people, particularly children, look at some of the fine Edwardian photos in the various forum posts. But, pause and look carefully at the picture and in no way does it represent 2019. There is something missing and not the fact that it is mainly men of a certain age, which gives the clue to what is not there. Keep going with the photos Ell, you are following the tradition of the early photographers, if it looks interesting photograph it. If no correct answers I'll leave it with you over the weekend and give the answer, if one has not been suggested

Bob
Bob

That's the Birmingham Big Wheel being installed for the annual Ice Skate Birmingham event. Returning to Centenary Square for the first time since winter 2016/17 (as the square was being done up until this past summer).

The bridge is on Centenary Way. Past Paradise Birmingham (being built on the site of the demolished Birmingham Central Library).

Are you in Birmingham right now? Many of you seem to have moved away decades ago, and don't really know the modern city being developed.

I prefer photos of buildings, statues, sculptures, landscapes, trains, buses, trams, planes etc. Not people really.

That's the Birmingham Big Wheel being installed for the annual Ice Skate Birmingham event. Returning to Centenary Square for the first time since winter 2016/17 (as the square was being done up until this past summer).

The bridge is on Centenary Way. Past Paradise Birmingham (being built on the site of the demolished Birmingham Central Library).

Are you in Birmingham right now? Many of you seem to have moved away decades ago, and don't really know the modern city being developed.

I prefer photos of buildings, statues, sculptures, landscapes, trains, buses, trams, planes etc. Not people really.
No, in wet monsoon/typhoon/hurricane stricken North Devon, where it does not rain, we just have liquid sunshine, but I come back two or three times a year, but now have difficulty travelling to the library area, but you are right we don't know the modern city being developed and as we drive round it is very difficult to rubberneck as it is hard to get below the Birmingham minimum speed limit of 90mph. That is why we enjoy your photographs.

Bob

Thanks glad you like them.

Are rumours that the Council wants to ban cars from the Queensway tunnels, make them, bike, bus and taxi only. They are also planning to knock down the Perry Barr flyover (a lot of people are against that).

The city centre is pedestrian friendly. And the next tram extension is due to open in a few months time.

The bus diversions go round the back of the Library on Cambridge Street now.

Pardon my ignorance, what is the giant disc behind the Hall of Memory and also the bridge like structure behind that? Your picture shows how orderly we are, coming towards you on the right hand side (your left) and going from you on the left hand side, in other words keeping right. The old photographers loved to animate their photos with people, particularly children, look at some of the fine Edwardian photos in the various forum posts. But, pause and look carefully at the picture and in no way does it represent 2019. There is something missing and not the fact that it is mainly men of a certain age, which gives the clue to what is not there. Keep going with the photos Ell, you are following the tradition of the early photographers, if it looks interesting photograph it. If no correct answers I'll leave it with you over the weekend and give the answer, if one has not been suggested

Bob
Bob
The missing 21st Century icon (if that is the word). Not one of them is looking at or listening to a mobile phone. Well done Ell how long did you have to wait before you got this rare moment?

Bob

The missing 21st Century icon (if that is the word). Not one of them is looking at or listening to a mobile phone. Well done Ell how long did you have to wait before you got this rare moment?

Bob

If you are going on about the Centenary Way photo, I pointed my camera up towards the ferris wheel and ice rink and took the photo. And then continued to walk into Centenary Square.

Here's one from Saturday's Diwali on the Square in Victoria Square.

But was a bit crowded in the centre of the square, so took my next shot heading down the steps.

And then up Christchurch Passage to Waterloo Street for this one.

First time I’ve seen this referred to as Snow Hill Corner. Dated 1910. The rounded corner to the left was created in the 1860s. Viv.

9AC86DF3-BD4F-4AC1-8739-AC1BF5FEEEAE.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A2FD8B9-7AEB-4911-B2A5-679F626FE316.jpeg
    6A2FD8B9-7AEB-4911-B2A5-679F626FE316.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 12
According to the article this is part of the "introduction of some new public spaces and pedestrian priority areas, new green infrastructure, pocket parks, new street furniture and general decluttering as well as encouraging businesses to spill out and occupy a more vibrant street scene ". So destruction of trees is part of the new green infrastructure and general decluttering is part of " encouraging businesses to spill out" , which means businesses paying for licences to clutter up the pavements with chairs and tables

Back