• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Colmore Row

Thanks Oldmohawk, didn’t think they were as can’t remember ever seeing any images of war damage. So they were probably removed as part of the development of Victoria Square. Viv.

I sometimes walked to that area, during the early 1950's, as one or more of the shipping lines often had a large model boat in the window. Little realising that in a few years time I might see their big brothers in the English Channel.

The photo looks to have been taken from the town hall side of Victoria Square and the foreshortening effect seen in old photos makes things look nearer than they really are. The building on the right with the clock is on the corner of Waterloo Street and the 'Turn Right' sign probably warns traffic on Paradise Street not to turn left towards Congreve Street which they could do before the 1940s. Galloways Corner is out of shot on the right.

Viv
Going to argue with you about the date, the AEC bus on route 4 was out of regular service by 1948 and the other two buses have yellow roofs, all of which was altered by the war, after which all roofs were khaki.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. It was listed on eBay as 1948. Must have been an old postcard used in 1948 and/or perhaps a reprint? Viv.

The 26 tram route was abandoned in April, 1939 and replaced by bus route 70. Tram 524, new in 1914, survived until the 1950's. It was one of a class of 75, eight were damaged or destroyed in WW2.

This 1911 view of the Great Western Vaults is presumably the building behind the cyclist. By my reckoning, and using the arch of the GW Arcade (just in view extreme right) as a guide, this must be the view today. Well it couldn’t be more different - and unrecognisable ! Viv.
55C505B3-D474-44EA-A014-72C6FCB9E38C.jpeg
68541BD0-AF48-41D3-9BBE-2591223437AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back