• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colmore Row

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr
I took some photos of Cathedral Court, 15 Colmore Row. Which is part of the Hortons' Estate.

It was built in 1989 to replace a Victorian building that was on the corner with Livery Street.

Seems to retain the character / shape of the previous building on this site.

Next to the Grand Hotel

Barclays Bank, Cathedral Court, Colmore Row by ell brown, on Flickr

Does anyone have photos of the previous building on this site? I know it looked all black and grimey.

I took some photos of Cathedral Court, 15 Colmore Row. Which is part of the Hortons' Estate.

It was built in 1989 to replace a Victorian building that was on the corner with Livery Street.

Seems to retain the character / shape of the previous building on this site.

Next to the Grand Hotel

Does anyone have photos of the previous building on this site? I know it looked all black and grimey.

Hi Ell. This is a photo from the Keith Berry website www.pbase.com which shows the Halifax Building Society building on the right on Colmore Row. This is roughly opposite your photos of the new Barclays Bank building. So I woud guess that the former building you're looking for is probably the building on the left in the Keith Berry photo (1960s). Other members may be able to confirm if this is right. Viv.

View attachment 67008

Used to walk along Colmore Row towards Victoria Sq on my way to work. Remember the Kardomah cafe on the corner of the Arcade, just down from the Halifax on the right in the 1960s photo. Also remember the Hotel further up Colmore Row on the new Barclays Building side of the road. Must have seen that blue plaque on the Halifax building, many, many times, but can't remember what it said! It used to be a very pleasant walk along that road, alongside St. Philip's church. Viv.

Ell the smaller of the two office blocks in post 5 looks from the photos to be on the corner of Livery St/ Colmore Row. So this must be the next building to Barclays Bank (across Livery St). It seems a bit odd though that the numbers run 1-9 for the offices then 15 for the Bank. Maybe Livery Street wasn't there when this part of Colmore Row was originally built and buildings filled the gap between 9 and 15.Or maybe there's been some re-numbering.
I think the 1960s building must show the earlier buildings which were there before the Barclays re-development.and thanks for the close up of the blue plaque. Now that's familiar. Yes agree, the school was a there a very long time. The current building (Prudential) must have been built around late 1920s/30s. This all still seems to be a very nicely maintained area of the City.

I think the building on the left in this photo is the front of the old Snow Hill Station, otherwise we would be able to see Livery Street, which we cannot. I am happy to be proved wrong though!! I used to work in St Phillips Place, and feel sure that this is the station frontage.

Shortie

Yes Shortie, you're right. Just found this 1962 photo of the Snow Hill Station entrance. The edge of the 1960s photo in post 5 is further down the road than I thought. The building in view to the left of this photo is where the newer Barclays Bank is in Ell's photos. The modern building seems to have taken on features of the old building. Snow Hill Station had obviously seen better days by the time the 1960s photos were taken, but such lovely architecture , now lost. Viv

View attachment 67040
pencil.png

Yes, Viv, I agree that it is a shame we lost old Snow Hill Station. I thought it was wonderful. Seems odd now though, as new hotels are being built, if only a little forward thinking could have been applied at the time. I have to say I am glad that my memory still serves me well, despite the grey hair!

Shortie

Oh how I loved the old Colmore Row with its imposing great Victorian buildings and the mass's of starlings which used to nest there and fly up and down, to sit in the Cathedral gardens and wait to meet dad at snow hill. No I am sorry I personly think the new colmore row is ugly and barren.
paul

They closed the tunnel between Moor Street and Snow Hill in 1968. Demolished The Great Western Hotel in 1969. The last trains ran in the old station in 1972. Demolition in 1976 (a survey revealed that the station was in a dangerous condition). The station was rebuilt and opened in 1987.

Information above from British Railways Past and Present: Birmingham

Well at least they kept a little of the architecture and it gives a hint of how the station would have looked. My great grandfather had shares in GWR and no doubt he would be absolutely horrified to see what became of the station. Thanks for posting these Ell. Viv.

I found it thanks to a book called "Walks through History Birmingham" by John Wilks.

Just checked my other Birmingham books - and there are then and now comparisons of that end of Colmore Row and Snow Hill Station. In "Birmingham Up Town Through Time" and "Central Birmingham Through Time". You can get them from the local interest section at WH Smith.

Cathedral Court actually looks bigger than what it replaced.

I walked past 5 St Philip's Place today (site of the former Blue Coat School) and noticed that they had removed the sign for the West Midlands Government Office. As the Coalition had abolished quango's like this.

Former site of Blue Coats School - 5 St Philips Place (former Prudential Assurance building) - West Midlands Government Office by ell brown, on Flickr

The above sign is gone, but the 5 St Philip's Place is still there (I think)

Government Office for the West Midlands - 5 St. Philip's Place by ell brown, on Flickr

The Government wanted them closed down by March 2011. See Government Office

the demolision of old property on the colmore estate from which emerged birminghams finance centre..notice the railings of st philips cathedral on the right...just beyond the lamp post on the left is church street on the corner of which the grand hotel would be opened in 1879

Back