• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Colmore Row, Monmouth Street

fergie

master brummie
I am currently looking at Colmore Row, since it appears as the residence of a Catherine Faircloth at the time of her marriage to Edward Hough (Brick Layer) in 1846. When checking the 1841 I found Nanny Faircloth residing at Monmouth Street. I didn't know until doing a search that Monmouth Street was near Colmore Row, I cannot find it but wondered if they were one and the same. I would appreciate it if any one has a map or any clue to where Monmouth Street is or was. Any history about Colmore Row too?

Fergie It is a bit confusing about what you want to know ........but here it is ...........Monmouth St is now part of Colmore Row near Bull St, before that it was Bull Lane and before that New Hall Lane it became Monmouth St in 1850 (named after the Welsh County) when the Council House was built Anne St and Monmouth St were renamed Colmore Row

Thank you Cromwell I think I just needed to have that confirmed. I had seen it writen with refernce to transport history in the city but couldn't find any other information.

Does anyone have a photo of the Monmouth Street (Colmore Row) end of the Great Western Arcade before it was bombed?

I used to have an image of it that I got from Dubarry Studios in the Great Western Arcade, but they became Flair and it appears that due to storage restrictions they threw all their old photos out!

I have two showing the inside, one from 1908 and the other 1933 so if you want large images send me IM

Thanks Comwell.

It was really the exterior I wanted, but what have you go of the interior?

Can you post small files here to look at?

My wife's sister works in the Great Western Arcade so I have pic's from 1880 till 1933 four in total of the inside but will not be very good reduced
but I will put them on if I can tomorrow ..........

Pro Civitate.........Strange but the oldest one I have in a newpaper is of the Durbarry Ad and as you very likely know Durbarry was one of the shops in the Arcade in the 1890's The Great Western Arcade was built in 1875-6 and followed the line of the Great Western Tunnel then in 1884 the link was continued connecting Temple Row to Corporation St and they called that The North Western Arcade we also had the Midland Arcade and the City Arcade designed by Newton & Cheadle in 1902

The Newspaper pic which is the one dated 1880
(I have a photograph of the same picture)
All 3 taken before the War

Thanks for posting the photos Cromwell - they are lovely to see. What a beautiful arcade this was/is.

And Lloyd, thanks for posting that very sad photo of the Arcade after an air raid. How devastating. I'm so glad they could restore it.

Back