• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colmore row cottage hospital

Hi, thanks for accepting me.
I was born in the above hospital in 1954. Yes, a long time ago.... However I cannot find out anything about it - not even a photo. Anyone out there have any info or images.
Thanks and greetings from Oxford.

hi and welcome...i am moving this thread to the hospitals section of the forum....must admit i have not heard of this hospital so hopefully some of our members can help you

lyn

There is a Cottage Hospital, Birmingham Road, Sutton Coldfield.
thanks pedro but the poster says colmore row so i am a tad confused hopefully robin will be able to confirm the address was in birmingham

lyn

Last edited:
Just been through the 1954 phone book for the hospitals in the Birmingham area. There is no listing for a hospital in Colmore Row.

I think there was a Queens Hospital in Colmore Row around 1860 associated with Sands Cox. As said, the nearest Cottage hospital I can find for Birmingham is the one in Sutton.

hi and welcome...i am moving this thread to the hospitals section of the forum....must admit i have not heard of this hospital so hopefully some of our members can help you

lyn
For those who questioned it's location it is definitely in the centre of Birmingham. My late mother confirmed it as the road called Colmore row in the city centre.

Does it give any more detail on your birth certificate?
Unfortunately no.... All it says is Colmore Row cottage hospital. All I know is from my late mother who told me it was the centre of B' ham. Both my parents were from B' ham and were proud to say I was a true brummie born and bred. Thanks to all who are trying to help.

hi robin this is a mystery then....is there any chance you can post us an image your birth certificate as it may give us some clues...

lyn

Been doing some digging and the nearest I can come up with seems to be an outpatients dept for the Womens Hospital which was in Upper Priory (main hospital in Showell Green Lane).
Both Colmore Row and Hospital marked in yellow. Map is 1945 but think it was still there later than that although don't know if it would have been used for births
1656771826802.png

Last edited:
quite a few photos on this thread of the hospital inside and out

Back