• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Colmore Depot Birmingham

I made a lot of visits to Colmore Depot in the fifties/sixties, Watsons, as Austin/Morris agents, got their new cars from there as they were the main distributer in Brum.
I don't think they were still in Corporation Street though, Bromsgrove street if my memory is correct.

I made a lot of visits to Colmore Depot in the fifties/sixties, Watsons, as Austin/Morris agents, got their new cars from there as they were the main distributer in Brum.
I don't think they were still in Corporation Street though, Bromsgrove street if my memory is correct.

Colmore Depot was in Station Street and was the biggest Morris/Morris Commercial Distributor in the UK.
Boomy

A special presentation of a Sahara crossin, film shown at the Station Street branch in November 1937. Viv.
C3530284-BB49-4E3D-856D-8F434A687E5F.jpeg

In February 1939 the Colmore Depot in Station Street was showing a new programme of Morris films. (About the latest cars or something else ?). Viv.

0BC413F8-8892-430D-A7A3-20BB187B69A0.jpeg

My memories of the Colmore Depot were of the one in Hall Green. Bought my first car there - an Austin 1100. What a job driving home as I hadn't driven since I passed my test six months earlier.............

Wow ,remember that car well. Used to hire one every Xmas to visit relatives around Bham from the Austin Morris dealer in Moseley.My Morris 8 E was a bit small.

I worked briefly in the Accounts Department 1970-71 before returning to Australia from whence I came. I had in fact emigrated from Birmingham in 1964 and returned in 1970 to see if I wanted to return permanently to Brum. I had an Australian wife and a newly born (Pommy) son. We decided to return to the sunny land where we are still happily living in Melbourne. I recall Mr Taylor as my immediate boss and a number of jolly very pleasant older (then me) ladies working there. The Accountant in charge was a Welsh gentleman who although short, fancied himself as a goal keeper! He too was very pleasant. I recall many heated discussions with someone in the Marketing Department but cannot recall names. It was a good time for me. Cheers to all.

For a short time in the late sixties, I worked at 'Colmore Depot' on the Walsall road, Perry Barr. This branch concentrated on commercial vehicles: BMC FG, JU, Leyland Mastiff, Morris minor van, Morris mini van, Leyland Boxers and Lairds.
Later in my career, as a contractor I worked at 'Colmore Depot' in Erdington, the workshop was above the showroom (still there). Vehicles sold there were mainly Fiat.
I also worked at 'Colmore Depot' next to the Aston Villa football club opposite the old tram shed. This branch concentrated on Ferraris.
For spares you had to go to the main branch in Cherrywood road in Bordesley Green.

My father managed the Service Dept at Erdington from the time it opened in the converted cinema, through to its move to the purpose built premises you describe. He had worked as a mechanic at the Cherrywood Rd depot since before the war.

There were many interesting dealerships in Birmingham. My own first car, a blue Morris Mini, came from Colmore Depot when new. reg. no. 147 BOA and I acquired it in 1965 when i lived in Kidderminster. As a Brummie born & bred, I was very happy when I started working in Birmingham the following year for the firm of Peat, Marwick, Mitchell, accountants. Not sure that PMM & Co were quite so happy with me!
We had a number of car dealerships in the company's portfolio. I spent some time at P J Evans, whose headquarters were in John Bright St. They had the Rolls Royce franchise, but you could not sit in any of the cars in the showroom. Far too posh! There were several other outposts of PJE around the city, most of which I visited.

Back