• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

COLLIS Radio & TV

Austin K2

master brummie
Anyone out there who used to work for "COLLIS" Radio & TV. Wolverhampton and West midlands.
I did during the '60's/70's and would love to catch up with others who did.

dib44

Born & Bred Brummie
Anyone out there who used to work for "COLLIS" Radio & TV. Wolverhampton and West midlands.
I did during the '60's/70's and would love to catch up with others who did.
I worked at the Northfield, Newtown & Kings Heath branches in the early 70s, great bunch of lads & girls, You could instal a brand new TV for £2.00
deposit and the payments were collected from a prepayment meter on the back of the TV. Sold all manner of white goods too.

dib44

Born & Bred Brummie
I used to do all the shop signs and vehicle signs.
That was a great design John, when using for private use over weekends and holidays we used to unbolt the roof sign from inside the van (Blue Hillman imps)
and remove them, also the side panel signs we just used to unpeel carefully :fat: and hey presto, a plain blue van.

Austin K2

master brummie
Nice to read your comments.
My transport was always a MINI van. Plain with no signs on, and could use it for personal transport when not at work.

dot42

I worked in the offices in Wolverhampton starting in Cleveland St then Bond House and St Johns House, St johns square from 1964 to 1971

Shortie

master brummie
Are you saying Joan Collis is in Australia? She would not remember me, but she would remember Vicki Downing who was a good friend of mine and in my class at Elmfield. Vicki sadly died in 1967/8. I was only at Elmfield for two years and a bit, so I doubt anyone would remember me to be honest. I remember Joan as being pretty, very dark brown hair, and always smiling .

Stager

I worked at the Litchfield branch of Collis Radio as a TV field engineer in the late sixties to early seventies for five years or so. The shop manager when I first started was Malcolm Woodward-Bennet followed by Pete Avery then Graham Felton. The service team was headed up by the manager Harry Booker, engineers were Graham Wood, Tony Marsden, Mervyn ..... myself and Bench Engineer Ron. There was also an engineer Mike ....who emigrated to Canada and sold me his AVO 8 for a fiver which I still have. If you drew the short straw and got the Burton on Trent run it was around a hundred miles a day and twenty calls. Still I enjoyed every minute of it. Collis was a great employer, pay and conditions were among the best in the trade which gave a lot of deserved loyalty to the company. Happy days and fond memories!

Morri15

Brummie babby
I worked at the Litchfield branch of Collis Radio as a TV field engineer in the late sixties to early seventies for five years or so. The shop manager when I first started was Malcolm Woodward-Bennet followed by Pete Avery then Graham Felton. The service team was headed up by the manager Harry Booker, engineers were Graham Wood, Tony Marsden, Mervyn ..... myself and Bench Engineer Ron. There was also an engineer Mike ....who emigrated to Canada and sold me his AVO 8 for a fiver which I still have. If you drew the short straw and got the Burton on Trent run it was around a hundred miles a day and twenty calls. Still I enjoyed every minute of it. Collis was a great employer, pay and conditions were among the best in the trade which gave a lot of deserved loyalty to the company. Happy days and fond memories!

Remember Woodward - Bennet well and am still in touch with Graham Felton, Barry Marshall and you might remember Carol Chater. John Viner was in charge of vehicles so you might have come across him.

Stager

I certainly remember Carol Chater, a very attractive lady. She was in administration at HQ as I remember. I used to knock around with an engineer from one of the Wolverhampton branches, Colin Pearson. We were in some nightclub close to Brownhills I seem to remember, that was where I met the lovely Carol for the first time. Not sure I remember Barry Marshall but the name John Viner rings a distant bell. There was one of the first employees of Collis radio that has just come to mind. He had been an engineer and at some stage had lost an eye. Collis employed him around the retail shops fitting and fixing the lighting. He always wore an eye patch and was known affectionately as 'Captain Black' to the lads, although probably not to his knowledge. I left Collis and moved to Bournemouth where I had bought a business. Tony Marsden followed some time later. We used to be good mates but through time and circumstance have lost touch.

Would anyone remember my father, Frank Brocklehurst, who worked as a field engineer during the late 60's/early 70's? Any information would be greatly appreciated. My father sadly passed away in 1976 at the age of 40

Kindest Regards To All

Gary Brocklehurst