• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

College Road School Moseley

sss65

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know anything about College road council school , moseley? Is it still there under another name? My great Uncle was a teacher there in 1920 and I wondered where it was and what it's called now if it still exists?

Thanks for the idea - I did look at this but it wasn't open as a school until after the date that my great Uncle was teaching so I ruled it out.

Many thanks, Viv - a bit before my time but the buildings have changed very little.

Maurice

These are the details of the College Road schools from the British History online site. Viv.

image.jpeg

Some views from Google Maps Street View that I would either see from the no 1 or no 6 bus routes (also sometimes the no 31).

On Solihull Road near the Sparkhill / Hall Green border. What is now Grand Occasions Banqueting Suite.

solihull rd springfield.jpg

Springfield Primary School as seen from College Road (the no 1 bus route)

springfield primary school.jpg

Ell,

Thanks for those. The Primary School hasn't changed much from the 1940s - same railings, same brickwork, same hedge around the playground. The only things that immediately stand out as new are the yellow lines (what are those?) and the style of the street lights.

When it comes to what was once the Springfield Ballroom, during the 1940s that was just good fairly quality red bricks. The ballroom itself was on the top floor only and viewed from the back was quite a plain square building with a row of windows across the top floor. That view is not possible now because they've replaced the the five bombed houses, 205-213 Knowle Road - it was just a levelled bombsite in my time. The TV aerial is new too.

The side wall of the house on the left (original) has been waterproofed with a sort of black bitumastic paint that was common before the war. Anyone know what it was called?

Maurice :-) :-)

Of course, the front has been tarted up a bit and a row of concrete posts installed - no cars on the front in my day!

College Road Infants,

And I cried the place down when my mother left me, but not for long. But I never did like school and was glad to leave at 16, with some trepidation about going out into the big wide world, totally unprepared.

I must admit that I didn't like authority in any form at any time in my life, and was happiest during the periods that I ran my own businesses, even if they didn't always make money!

Maurice

College Road Infants,

And I cried the place down when my mother left me, but not for long. But I never did like school and was glad to leave at 16, with some trepidation about going out into the big wide world, totally unprepared.

I must admit that I didn't like authority in any form at any time in my life, and was happiest during the periods that I ran my own businesses, even if they didn't always make money!

Maurice

Well, i can certainly empathise with just about all you say, sounds like me to a tee.

Badpenny..

Thanks for that, Viv. About three years too early to catch me, and I probably wouldn't remember faces anyway. But I remember a few names and must set about tracing a few for the hell of it! (I never did march cheerfully to school, and just couldn't wait to get out!) :-)

Maurice

Viv,

Thanks for the pic, though about 20 years before my time. I can't remember a lot about the inside, but my guess is that it hasn't changed much over the years.

Maurice :cool:

Back