• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

College Place, Springhill

Neilythere

proper brummie kid
Hi there,

I'm currently trying to find the exact location for (no.3) College Place, Springhill, B'ham at the time period of the 1911 census.
Looking at other addresses on the census, it would seem to be a small number of addresses which fall between 158 and 164 Springhill.......I have looked at an older map for this era but can only see a 'College Street' so I wondered if perhaps College Place was merely a building on Springhill itself?

Many thanks.

The map below c 1889 shows numbering in that area. The electoral roll shows that in 1922 betweeen 162 & 164, was College Place. So obviously it slightly changed its name between the two dates from College Terrace to College Place.
map c1889 showing area around 169 Spring hill.jpg

mike i think i can just see college place on the right on your map going up college st

lyn

Many thanks for the replies and more detailed map, yes I think I can see a College Place off College Street

just as an aside college st was named after springhill college which was close by

lyn

Yes Lyn. You right. I was diverted by the position in the numbering. Here is a better map showing College Place
map c 1889 showing college st.jpg

thanks for the new map mike....just noticed a munster place.what a strange name....wonder where that one came from:D

yes thats true mike and dont forget we did have a lot of irish come to live and work in brum so could be a connection with that

As a matter of interest, checked the College Place in College St in 1912, and the person listed was John Felby (women and those under 21 were then inferior beings who could be ignored). Just to make things difficult, also noted that, on the 1912 electoral roll the houses between 162 and 164 Spring Hill are also named College place. Here no 3 is occupied by John Messam. Would be interested to know which one you actually want . Hopefully the surnames will allow this

just as an aside college st was named after springhill college which was close by

lyn
I had to do a double check here - to me Spring Hill College became Moseley School. I learnt something new today as your Spring Hill College moved to the Moseley site in 1857.

Mike - the person in question I'm looking into was indeed John Massam (rather than Messam) living at number 3 College Place

So they were at Spring hill in what had once been College Terrace. Must admit , although there are terraces/places of the same name in different parts of the city, have never beforecome across two so close and existing at the same time.

Hi mikejee college road variuos
During his time as a pastor at Ebenezer chapel in steelhouse, the reverend timothy
East ,suggested to george Storer Mansfield . that there was a needfor the building of a colledge
in which men could be trained for the ministry as a congregationalist. For this purpose.
Mansfield gave properties to the springhill charity and in 1838 his sisters handed over there house
in springhill to be a colledge, nineteen years later springhill college was moved to a superb building in
Wakegreen . moseley. at the end of the 19th century the institution was relocated to
Mansfield college, oxford , Springhill college,
However is remembered by a college road, brookfields and college road mosely

Back