• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

College Farm 1870

Glennys Jean

master brummie
My ascendants were all farmers / licensed victuallers around the Erdington area. Gt grandad was born on College farm in 1866 and I'm trying to find a map which would show where abouts it was. He was baptised at St Mary's Catholic church Maryvale if that's any help. Thanks for any help.

Is this one OK?

map_c_1903_showing_college_farm_erdington.jpg

Yes thats more than all right Mike, like perfect ! Thanks so much. However can you help me a little more to place New Oscott; is it near Erdington ? just south of Sutton park ?

Yes that's right. the junction shown on the map is the junction of Chester Road and College road, with college farm drive leading off college road just to the south of the junction

Is this one OK?

map_c_1903_showing_college_farm_erdington.jpg
Mike - I now live in the building that was College Farm and I am interested in the ohoto you posted - do you know where I can get this as I want to print out to keep and the one you have posted is low resolution? Thank you

The map came from the old maps website (https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html). That is the highest resolution you can see without subscribing to the site. You can buy pdf maps from them , at I understand £16 for one from that period. I assume that may be at a higher resolution, but am not sure.

Killim 1 : Do you mean the actual College farm building still stands ? If so, I would love to see a photo of it as it is now !

The old farm buildings themselves no longer stand as they were demolished to build College Farm Drive around 1970’s - 1980’s. However from what I can ascertain so far the house we live in was built right next to the farm buildings sometime between 1890 and 1903, so we were wondering if this is what the family built to live in - it is now called the old farmhouse.

Back