• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

College Arms College Road Kingstanding

zak14

master brummie
Hello.

Has anyone got any pictures of the old College Arms pub on College Road, Kingstanding (now a Mc Donalds !) or any memories or stories about the old pub ?.

I was born in Watney Grove over the road from the pub and lived there till I was about 28 but don't have any pictures of the pub over the road. My dad never used the pub but a lot of my uncles did (the Witheringtons from Dovedale Road)

Would love to see some pictures of the old pub, was where I had my first drink of Ansells Mild !

Great photo Wally not as I would like to see it but at least it's still there!

Here is a photograph shortly after it was built in the 1930s.

Attachments

• Kingstanding College Arms-1938.jpg
    Kingstanding College Arms-1938.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 53
Cracking photograph, spent loads of christmas eves in there in the 70s, and we used to love the free and easys on a saturday night.

Astonite

Lovely room at the side of the Pub had many a night in there, happy days

Hi Alf, the thing that stands out in my mind is the saturday night free and easy, they had a'sit up and beg' three piece band, consisting of a bloke on drums, one on piano and either a sax or a trumpet player, people used to come out of the audience and sing on the mike. One bloke used to do very bad Elvis impressions and a women used to sing the same song every week, 'this is the dawning of the age of aquarius' very happy days!

hi dek
yes they did and it went down hill and there was always trouble there it became a chequed pub we call it in the game
i did not like the pub and they started to serve your pint in a plastic glass which was terrible and thats what it became a run down pub
and yes it was a cracking pub in its early days and years but because of it s regular trouble the decent folk stoped going in
best wishes astonion

I about 1964 we used to play at a dance there every Wednesday evening for a period of time. William's Conquerors

I was a local in the 70s and 80s when it was a nice place to drink. I laugh at the thought now of Mrs Mac shouting "time gents please.... have you got no homes to go to!"

Thats right it was the "Mac's" who ran it when I was a kid, didn't they used to race Greyhounds round the back of the Pub ?.

Didn,t they have a shooting in there some time in the 70s. Dek

I was told of a shooting there long before the 70's by my Mother. I think it was in the 50's a Barman was shot by the husband of the woman he was having an affair with I believe.

Before the flats were built behind The College Arms (on Warren Farm Road) there was just a field. That is where dogs were raced on a sunday morning. As far as I'm aware the Macs weren't involved.

I think I remember an Angela Lagoe but to be honest I thought the name was from school not Watney Grove, perhaps my memory is not as good as I thought ! ;) I think Angela Lagoe was a similar age to me but I cannot remember where about they lived in the grove. Was their an Angela in the family ?

Zak

Hello.

Has anyone got any pictures of the old College Arms pub on College Road, Kingstanding (now a Mc Donalds !) or any memories or stories about the old pub ?.

I was born in Watney Grove over the road from the pub and lived there till I was about 28 but don't have any pictures of the pub over the road. My dad never used the pub but a lot of my uncles did (the Witheringtons from Dovedale Road)

Would love to see some pictures of the old pub, was where I had my first drink of Ansells Mild !
Cheers Zak, I also had my first drink in a pub at the College. We used to go to the dances there, really good groups on aswell.

Hi if anyone knows, my grandad use to run an old football team I assume in the 80s i think if anyone knows about him his name was robert palmer

Welcome Lmrpy2k. Can you tell us a bit more please? Was the team associated with the College Arms or just in the area of Kingstanding ? Viv.

Thanks for getting back to me, Alan. The bloke I knew was a couple of years older than me and other than football, I didn't really know him. I was a regular in The College up until 1981 and I don't recall seeing him around then.

Last edited:
Back