• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coleshill Hall Institution Hospital

The House itself still exists unfortunately not visible from the road . It hasn't changed since it was a Hospital except that when it was turned into an office complex it had a few modern offices built nearby the house.
The grounds and the grass verges at the front gate are beautifully kept.

Although the house itself is not to be touched the surrounding area is going through a massive change.
Archaeologists have been allowed to dig in the grounds before the changes.
HS2 high speed rail is to be built through the grounds on huge concrete stanchions and part of the grounds will hold a large lake with artificial waves for surfers and around its perimeter will be a racetrack for motorised skateboards.

My personal view is that I would rather it wasn't happening but that is progress I'm afraid.

I live within walking distance and the thought of the 7million expected visitors every year will unfortunately make us a very busy area.

Thank you
I wonder if there is anyone out there that was a member of staff or even a relative of a patient
I am desperate to find any info about my uncle. I have just learned that he existed
How would I find patient records I wonder ?

Thank you
I wonder if there is anyone out there that was a member of staff or even a relative of a patient
I am desperate to find any info about my uncle. I have just learned that he existed
How would I find patient records I wonder ?
you could try contacting the library of birmingham...good luck

lyn

Ok I feel a trip coming to Birmingham xx
lesley you cant just walk into the archives dept now....firstly you need a CARN card then you have to make and appointment..once you have been and found out if they have the material you wish to see you have to make yet another appointment to go and see them...plus the archives are not open every day and only open one saturday in every month...before you have a wasted journey my suggestion would be to phone them up..tell them what you are looking for and they will let you know if they have the records..its like getting into fort knox now and nothing to do with covid

lyn

Lesley do you have any proof that he was moved to Coleshill Hall, the hospital in Marston Green, where he was a patient, was renamed Chelmsley Hospital, my son worked there in the 80s and I did volunteer work.
Most of the patients who were in there as children stayed for the rest of their lives, I never heard of any going to Coleshill.

Your uncles death is registered in the Staffordshire Moorlands , records show he died in Cheddleton.

If you say he was in hospital all his life, he was possibly in St Edwards in Cheddleton, I was born near there , it closed in 2002 and is now apartments.
Could it have been that his family moved to the area and wanted him near them.
Records are possibly at Stafford records office.

I don't think that Birmingham library would have records of Marston green/Chelmsley hospital as it was administered by Meriden and Meriden records are kept at Warwick.

There is a bit more on this thread

lesley you cant just walk into the archives dept now....firstly you need a CARN card then you have to make and appointment..once you have been and found out if they have the material you wish to see you have to make yet another appointment to go and see them...plus the archives are not open every day and only open one saturday in every month...before you have a wasted journey my suggestion would be to phone them up..tell them what you are looking for and they will let you know if they have the records..its like getting into fort knox now and nothing to do with covid

lyn
Thank you both for the advice
I will try and write down what I am looking for and phone them thank you

Lesley do you have any proof that he was moved to Coleshill Hall, the hospital in Marston Green, where he was a patient, was renamed Chelmsley Hospital, my son worked there in the 80s and I did volunteer work.
Most of the patients who were in there as children stayed for the rest of their lives, I never heard of any going to Coleshill.

Your uncles death is registered in the Staffordshire Moorlands , records show he died in Cheddleton.

If you say he was in hospital all his life, he was possibly in St Edwards in Cheddleton, I was born near there , it closed in 2002 and is now apartments.

I don't think that Birmingham library would have records of Marston green/Chelmsley hospital as it was administered by Meriden and Meriden records are kept at Warwick.
Hello no I have no proof at all I was just following a vague lead
The only proof I have is that in 1939 he was a patient at Marston Green when he was 10. He was in hospital all his life
He died in 1985 at Leek in Staffs - that is all I know

I don’t suppose your son or you recall a Derek Ivor Sheldon?

I was born in Staffs Moorlands and have a records of births , marriages and deaths to help with my family tree searching.
His death was Cheddleton /Leek. Cheddleton was only a village but Leek is the town.

There must have been a good reason for him to have been moved over 60 miles to another hospital when there were 2 very good ones in this area.

Lesley to find any definite answers you should get his death certificate to see his cause of death and his address and who registered his death.
If he was a patient at St Edwards when he died, Stafford records office hold the records of the hospital.
I don't know what the records office is like now but a few years ago you could take proof of identity, register, and search records, I would think with the Covid situation you would have to telephone beforehand.

Back