• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coleshill Hall Institution Hospital

BevEvansWilling

Brummie babby
Hi my mother was born in Birmingham in 1912. I have no photos of the time and am having no end of trouble finding anything on the time. could you recommend a book or to that may help. I am also looking for information on Coles Hill Mental Institution. Would appreciate any help. I live In Australia which means I have no knowledge of the area at all. Thank you

Hi my mother was born in Birmingham in 1912. I have no photos of the time and am having no end of trouble finding anything on the time. could you recommend a book or to that may help. I am also looking for information on Coles Hill Mental Institution. Would appreciate any help. I live In Australia which means I have no knowledge of the area at all. Thank you
Would you be willing to give a name ? We should be able to find about Coleshill Institution.

also bev do you know the name of the street or road where your mom was born we maybe able to help with that as well

lyn

Would you be willing to give a name ? We should be able to find about Coleshill Institution.
My Granfathers brother apparently lived there his name was Alfred Newton Steanes. My Granfather was Newton Spencer Steanes.
Thank you so very much
also bev do you know the name of the street or road where your mom was born we maybe able to help with that as well

lyn
My mum was born on the 20/04/1912 at Brunswick Place Irving Street.
Her name was Gwendoline Louisa Minnie Steanes her mum was Ethel Elizabeth Steanes formerly Felton.

My Granfathers brother apparently lived there his name was Alfred Newton Steanes. My Granfather was Newton Spencer Steanes.
Thank you so very much
Hi I know it’s a bit rude of me to ask but did you find anything on my mum’s old address and my uncle or grandfather.
Hope to hear from you.
thanjs
Bev

I don't know how much info you have but this is a start if you have none at all. 1891 census a bit difficult to read I think it says Dean Street.

Attachments

• steane-family.jpg
    steane-family.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 17
  • 73deanstreet.jpg
    73deanstreet.jpg
    876.4 KB · Views: 17
Hi Bev, I've just realised that you have compiled your family tree on Ancestry so you will already have a lot of information including the above. I'm sure somebody will be able to help though re: Coleshill Mental Institution.

Hi Bev, I've just realised that you have compiled your family tree on Ancestry so you will already have a lot of information including the above. I'm sure somebody will be able to help though re: Coleshill Mental Institution.
Thank you for your help.
I do have some info. I was just hoping to find some photos of the time and area. And some personal history. I do have a lot of the census but they just don’t give me the visions of the time.
Thank you again.
If you can think of the name of a good book about the it would be great.
Thank you again for your time
Bev

The hospital is called "Coleshill Hall Hospital" and is still shown in the 1988 edition of the AtoZ street guide and is located off Gilson Drive, John.

The hospital is called "Coleshill Hall Hospital" and is still shown in the 1988 edition of the AtoZ street guide and is located off Gilson Drive, John.
Just discovered the hospital was sold for development into an office campus in 2012. I've attached a couple of photo's, before and after, John.

Attachments

• Coleshill Hall_Coleshill_Warwickshire.jpg
    Coleshill Hall_Coleshill_Warwickshire.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Refurb as Coleshill Manor office campus.jpg
    Refurb as Coleshill Manor office campus.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 19
Just discovered the hospital was sold for development into an office campus in 2012. I've attached a couple of photo's, before and after, John.
Thanks John
I live in Australia and unfortunately can’t get over photos like that mean so much.
thank you again Bev

The main entrance to Coleshill Hall hospital is on the Birmingham road, the Gilson drive gate is the tradesmens entrance.
Alfred N S Steanes was there in 1939 born 21st September 1914 he died in Greater London in 1983.

Bev you say in post 4 that your grandfathers brother lived in Coleshill hospital, I take it it just an oversight by you as if your mother was born in 1912 it was her brother that lived there.
Alfred Newton Spencer Steanes was born in 1914, 2 years after your mother and they had a brother Bernard born in 1918, their parents Newton Spencer Steanes and Ethel Felton
Alfred died in Greater London in 1983 birthdate given as 21st September 1914.
Newton S Steanes died in 1919 age 28 and his widow Ethel Steanes remarried in 1920 to Charles Higgins and they had a son and 2 daughters.
In 1939 they are living in Gooch street.

Last edited:
Hi,

I worked at R. Whites in the 60s/70s, and at Christmas we used to get a substantial
order from Coleshill Hall for soft drinks, and gallon jars of squash.

Our driver called there to deliver, and was met by a suited gentleman who he asked
where he should unload the drinks. He was directed to unload them by a side wall,
which he duly did. He had just finished when another chap came across and asked
him why he had unloaded there. The driver explained that he had been told to put
it there by the other man, who by this time was walking away.
The second chap said 'I dont know why you took any notice of him, - he's one of the
patients.' Of course he had to reload it all, and then redeliver where it should have gone.
That driver took quite a few days to live it down!

Kind regards
Dave

Hello all

I wonder if someone could help me?
I have just found out that I had an uncle Derek Ivor SHELDON dob 20/01/29 and died 15/03/85
He was an in patient all his life.
The only record I have is the 1939 list where he was at Marston Green Hospital, age 10
I am desperate to find out anything about him and feel really sad that he was hidden from us all his life.
Any help at all would be appreciated.
He may have been a patient at Coleshill
Thanks
Lesley

I too am looking for things on the hospital, if you find anything could you let me know Bev thanks Lesley

The House itself still exists unfortunately not visible from the road . It hasn't changed since it was a Hospital except that when it was turned into an office complex it had a few modern offices built nearby the house.
The grounds and the grass verges at the front gate are beautifully kept.

Although the house itself is not to be touched the surrounding area is going through a massive change.
Archaeologists have been allowed to dig in the grounds before the changes.
HS2 high speed rail is to be built through the grounds on huge concrete stanchions and part of the grounds will hold a large lake with artificial waves for surfers and around its perimeter will be a racetrack for motorised skateboards.

My personal view is that I would rather it wasn't happening but that is progress I'm afraid.

I live within walking distance and the thought of the 7million expected visitors every year will unfortunately make us a very busy area.

Thank you
I wonder if there is anyone out there that was a member of staff or even a relative of a patient
I am desperate to find any info about my uncle. I have just learned that he existed
How would I find patient records I wonder ?

Thank you
I wonder if there is anyone out there that was a member of staff or even a relative of a patient
I am desperate to find any info about my uncle. I have just learned that he existed
How would I find patient records I wonder ?
you could try contacting the library of birmingham...good luck

lyn

Back