• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coleman Street

aberbrum

Brummie babby
This is my first post but I have been reading about Nechells and particularly Coleman Street for some time. I was born in Birmingham during the war and was adopted in 1948 after spending some time in care. I had 7 siblings who were also all taken into care. My birth mother and grandmother lived on Coleman Street in the 30s and 40's. Do you remember a blind woman called Kate Shurmer who was married to Percy- not the Percy Shurmer and Marian (Poll) Woodcock? I know that my biological father lived on Coleman Street during the same period. He is mentioned on the forum and was something of a local character. I would be over the moon if anyone has any recollection of this family.

GER22VAN

master brummie
I lived in Coleman Street from late 1938 to about early 1950,s but sorry to say I cannot remember those names.

aberbrum

Brummie babby
Hi GER22VAN,thank you so much for replying. I had a brother Walter Edward (Ted) Woodcock who was born in 1927 and lived in Coleman Street up to 1950.He drank in many pubs in Coleman Street and Great Lister Street and I have discovered he was big friends with William John Palfreyman who lived in Coleman Street at the time. Incidentally I never met or knew Walter. Walter died in 1983 and William John registered his death.Does any of this ring any bells?

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kate Shurmer was born Kate Curtis in 1871 in Tewkesbury Gloucs to Alfred and Annie who are living with the 3 month old Kate in Gloucester in 1871
1881 they are living in Long Acre, Kate age 10 living a few doors away from the Shurmer family with 4 year old Percy tom.
1891 Kate is in Long acre
1901 Cranby street Saltley
now comes their chequered past, LOL.

Percy Tom Shurmer amrried in 1896 to Elizabeth Barnsley but he deserted her and set up home with Kate curtis

1911 census has in Lime Grove
Percy T Shurmer age 33
Kate shurmer 40 (blind)
Marian Lily 2 born March 1980
Louisa Kate 18 months Sept 1909
they had another daughter Alice in 1911

in 1918 Percy tom was a t Norton Barracks his records say.

(Living at 3/72 New Canal street with Kate Curtis known as Kate shurmer and living as husband and wife
married to Elizabeth nee Barnsley on December 25th 1896 at St Bartholomews and deserted her 20 years ago)

Percy Tom Shurmer and Kate Curtis married in 1928

Their daughter Marion married Albert W Woodcock in 1926
their children were
Walter Edward 1927
John
William G
Brenda M
Ellen M
Minnie E
Joyce L
Elaine M

Last edited:

aberbrum

Brummie babby
Hello Alberta,thank you for the trouble you have taken for me. I started researching my family history in 1976 which involved using Birmingham Central Library, Social Services, Ancestry UK and After Adoption. 4 years ago After Adoption found another 2 siblings that I had no knowledge of meaning that there were 8 of us in total. I have the information you posted and are in contact with all living siblings. My mother had a chequered life (say no more!) and the purpose of my post was to find someone who remembered the Shurmer/Woodcock family.Once again many thanks for your interest and information, it is very much appreciated, Joy (Joyce).

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joy, I was initially drawn to your post because of it being Coleman street.
My late father- in-law was born in Coleman Street in 1910 family name Taylor, his sister married into the Costello family who were also at one time Coleman ST
reidents.
How lovely that you found all your siblings, and nice to see you posting on the forum, Alberta.

Geoffm

Brummie babby
Hello, I was browsing and came across your post, My grandmother was called Nellie Costello/Castello/Castellow and lived in Coleman Street. She married Frederick Matthews and had 2 children, Frederick and Derrick. Frederick Jnr was my father. Nellie was a real character and I would love to hear any info that you have about her and my grandad Fred. Also do yu know anything about the Coleing family? I tink they lodged in the same house or married into the family. Thank you

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
There were a few Castello/Costello families in the area but my husbands uncle by marriage was George Costello who married Elizabeth Taylor.
My husbands Taylors lived in Coleman street as did George.

1911, 20 Coleman Street

Charles H Costello age 39 general dealer
Sarah age 35
Lily age 16
Rose age 14
George age 12
Gerald age 5
Nellie age 3
Ernest 10 months.
they had a daughter Ellen?Nellie in 1899 but she died a year later.

I am still in touch with my husbands cousin ,George and Elizabeths son.

This Costello family originates from William Costello a Flour miller who came here from Westmeath in Ireland when things were difficult in 1850,
Charlie was very well known in the area, I believe he did little work but would sit on the doorstep talking to whoever past for ages ,our member Gervan/Ernie remembers him having a large sword which intrigued all the kids.
His wife had a hand cart and collected old clothes which my late father in law b 1906 and his mates thought amusing to tip over and scatter the clothes, cruel little blighters.

fcostello

Hello, I was browsing and came across your post, My grandmother was called Nellie Costello/Castello/Castellow and lived in Coleman Street. She married Frederick Matthews and had 2 children, Frederick and Derrick. Frederick Jnr was my father. Nellie was a real character and I would love to hear any info that you have about her and my grandad Fred. Also do yu know anything about the Coleing family? I tink they lodged in the same house or married into the family. Thank you

nell is my great aunt- my dads aunt. I would love to know more about the family if you kindly contact me?

fcostello

This post is fascinating and has provided us with some useful information. My father, John Costello is the son of Ernest who married Gladys May Whitehouse. Nell was his aunts. My father is one of three children. we as a family would love to know more about of heritage and to find some distant relatives if you can kindly private message me. Further, we are here to help if you need further information for your/our family tree?

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome fcostello. It might be best if you send a private message as Geoffm hasn't posted on the forum for a couple of years (see tab in the grey bar at the top of this page). Good luck and hope you enjoy the forum. Viv.

Last edited:

Alijp

An old thread I know and the original poster by the looks of it hasn't been around for a while, but what a shame I never came across it before now when doing searches on the net for the name Shurmer. Kate Shurmer nee Curtis was the sister of my greatgrandmother and I have a photo of her I could have shown him :(

aberbrum

Brummie babby
An old thread I know and the original poster by the looks of it hasn't been around for a while, but what a shame I never came across it before now when doing searches on the net for the name Shurmer. Kate Shurmer nee Curtis was the sister of my greatgrandmother and I have a photo of her I could have shown him :(

Hi Alijp, I believe you were intouch with my late husband, Ray. Have you any photo's of your own family that we could compare any resemblances? I was delighted to read your comment. I look forward to your reply.

Alijp

Hi Alijp, I believe you were intouch with my late husband, Ray. Have you any photo's of your own family that we could compare any resemblances? I was delighted to read your comment. I look forward to your reply.
Hi, wow, was it your husband who sent me the photo of Kate that I have? I have some photos I can put up here of Kate's sister Annie Elizabeth and some of her children. First one is Kate, it's not the best image in the world unfortunately. Next is Annie Elizabeth, one of her sisters with her youngest daughter Rose. Annie with her husband George Albert Woodman. Kate's nieces Lily Woodman and Alice Woodman (Alice was my grandmother). From the right, Emily, Eva, Alice and Rose Woodman, the youngest of Annie Elizabeth's daughters. Harry Woodman (Kate's nephew). There are quite a few more but I think that should do for now lol

Attachments

• Kate Curtis.jpg
    Kate Curtis.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Annie and Rose.jpg
    Annie and Rose.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 6
  • George and Annie..jpg
    George and Annie..jpg
    165 KB · Views: 6
  • Lily and Alice..png
    Lily and Alice..png
    234.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Em, Eva, Alice,Rose.jpg
    Em, Eva, Alice,Rose.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Harry Woodman.jpg
    Harry Woodman.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 6

aberbrum

Brummie babby
Hi, wow, was it your husband who sent me the photo of Kate that I have? I have some photos I can put up here of Kate's sister Annie Elizabeth and some of her children. First one is Kate, it's not the best image in the world unfortunately. Next is Annie Elizabeth, one of her sisters with her youngest daughter Rose. Annie with her husband George Albert Woodman. Kate's nieces Lily Woodman and Alice Woodman (Alice was my grandmother). From the right, Emily, Eva, Alice and Rose Woodman, the youngest of Annie Elizabeth's daughters. Harry Woodman (Kate's nephew). There are quite a few more but I think that should do for now lol

aberbrum

Brummie babby
hi ali sorry for the delay have been on holiday had almost given up that anyone else would reply thanks so much . yes I am the widow of ray he passed away 2 yrs ago this sept and I have been very up and down we were married for 51yrs. on a brighter note I have a son and a daughter living close by in Aberystwyth and a daughter living in brum. so oihappy to see the pics and would love to see more.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Hi all,

Just throwing my hat in the air because I don't very often see the name COSTELLO mentioned and I have a David T COSTELLO married to one of my LONGMORE second cousins. As one or both are quite possibly still alive and living in Birmingham, I would appreciate a message via the private message system - click on my username and then "Start Conversation" - rather than putting it on open forum. Many thanks.

Maurice