• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coleman Place And Coleman Street

SusanPRH

I am trying to trace a family that was on Coleman Place in the 1841 census (where the surname was mis-transcribed as "Childsworth") and on Coleman Street at some point later that decade (recorded in a rent-book under the correct name, Charlesworth). I have found an excellent map and photograph of Coleman Place on your website (thank you!); but now need to know where Coleman Street is or rather was, as I gather it was demolished years ago. Is it a coincidence that the Charlesworths lived in two places called Coleman, or is there a connection between the two?

Coleman Street Duddeston was off Windsor Street which is still there. Windsor Street is on the left and Heneage Street is across the bottom. I haven't found Coleman Place but it must have been off the street as it is on the same census book.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-13_12-21-8.png
    upload_2017-11-13_12-21-8.png
    354.3 KB · Views: 35
Coleman St ran between Windsor St (that part of windsor St being then named Upper Windsor St) to Henry St, as shown on c 1889 Map. It seems to have been partly roughly along the initial part of what is now Kellet St .

map c 1890 showing coleman st.jpg

I wonder if anyone can point out a location in Coleman St. When my wife's parents were courting, her Mom lived in Coleman St and they were married at St Matthew's church. I have found an address which is..... 2 Court 15 Hazel Terrace which we assume is house No2 in Court 15? The map that pjmburns posted #2 is great but, too blurred to read. We have this photo of them which my wife would love to put a location to.
mom & pop copy.jpg

Banjo
I think that if you click on pjmburns posted it will come up clear. But below is a later map c1950 which shows no 2 Hazel Terrace in red. court 2 is not marked, but it would seem, from numbering of other courts, that Court 15 comprised Hazel Terrace and Albert Terrace together (originally connected by an opening at the north end).

map c1950 showing no 2 Hazel Terrace coleman st.jpg

Banjo
I think that if you click on pjmburns posted it will come up clear. But below is a later map c1950 which shows no 2 Hazel Terrace in red. court 2 is not marked, but it would seem, from numbering of other courts, that Court 15 comprised Hazel Terrace and Albert Terrace together (originally connected by an opening at the north end).

View attachment 143079
Thank you Mike, it's great that we can now see a location of where my Wife's Mother lived before marriage.

Back