• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cole Family Aston?

gaward

proper brummie kid
Hi,
I am looking for the famly of my grandmother Annie Surfroney Cole, thought to have been born in America about 1880.
I had a reply showing a family living in Holt St. Aston in 1901 with some of the children being born in America. Three of the children's names match those within our family. Family legend says they went to England in about 1887 from America. The father John ? had worked on the railways.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
George Ward

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you looked for incoming uk passengers on ancestry? What christain names should we be looking for?
mike

Shera

true brummie
hello george,

the 1901 census for this family is as follows

sarah j cole head widow 42 laundress b. shrewsbury
frederick 21 blacksmith b. america
william 20 filer brass? b. america
alice 16 press worker b. america
maud 13 b. birmingham
jane 9 b. birmingham
george 4 b. birmingham

living holt st. aston

1891 census

john cole 44 labourer
sarah jane cole 32 charwoman
lizzie cole 14
froney? 13
edmund 11
willie 7
albert edward 6
maudie 7 mths

living gosta green aston

this census states all born bham. this lot dont match up entirely but nearest i could find!!

hope this helps

chris

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Checked the Ancestry incoming passengers and found an alice Cole about the right time, but not very good match for age i 1895. No other one was anywhere near. No frederick or william in lists pre 1900. Not sure how comprehensive the lists are though
mike

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie Admin' Team
This is them in 1880 U.S.A Census

Name RelationMarital StatusGenderRaceAgeBirthplaceOccupationFather's BirthplaceMother's Birthplace
John COLE Self M Male W 48 ENG Works On Gravel Train ENG ENG
Sarah J. M. COLE Wife M Female W 22 ENG Keeping House ENG SCOT
Lizie L. COLE Dau S Female W 3 IA ENG ENG
Annie S. COLE Dau S Female W 1 IA ENG ENG
Census PlaceWilton, Muscatine, Iowa

I would say that you have the right family in 1891 and from the U.S census it looks as thought John, Sarah, Lizzie and Annie were all born in England. On the census' the numerator may have got the names wrong or was unable to understand what was being told to him, or it's just been transcribed wrong from the original.
I don't think there was a (Fredrick) 1901 its as above and may have been transcribed wrong, or is another family, but I don't think so as there is too much the same.

1891 census
Address: 12 Ct 6 Hse Gosta Green

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born
COLE John Head M M 44 Labourer(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
COLE Sarah Jane Wife M F 32 Charwoman(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
COLE Lizzie Dau S F 14 Lamp Bronzer & Blacker(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
COLE Froney Dau S F 13 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
[Annie Surfroney I think this is your Gran]
COLE Edmund Son S M 11 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham Page: 71/28 COLE Willie Son S M 7 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
COLE Albert Edward Son S M 6 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
COLE Alice Dau S F 4 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
COLE Mandie Dau S F 7m Warwickshire - Birmingham

Last edited:

gaward

proper brummie kid
Thank you all so much. This is fantastic information and a major link in our family tree. Family legend has it that John's wife was a native American
and the children were born up near the Canadian border, Cree tribe.
This shows that his wife Sarah was born in England of Scottish stock.
However looking at the age difference he may have been married before.
My late father's cousin was named Froney as is my sister.

Special thanks to Pom, Chris and Mike.

George Ward Melbourne

oltonmpw

proper brummie kid
Hi George, I am contacting you through this site in case my message earlier did not get through to you.
Alice Cole was my grandmothers sister and I have lots of info on their mother's family
Rob Hill
oltonmpw at America on line dot com

bluecoat boy

proper brummie kid
hi my late grandad was a fredrick albert cole born aston 1900 or 1901 he had a sister alice an 10 other siblings they all went to the old blue coat school in the city there dad had died an there mum couldnt keep them all so they went to the school if any one else has any info on them it would be a great help to me thank you

smtr

master brummie
hi Bluecoat

Do you have them in the 1901 census? 2 back 88 Nechells Park Rad

Frederick W Cole B1873 Aston - Painter
Alice Cole B1876 Bham
Alice Cole B1897 Bham
Florence Cole B1898 Bham
Frederick Cole B1901 Bham

Suzanne

smtr

master brummie
Possible marriage

Frederick William Cole and Alice Palmer 1897 Aston ref 6d 375 JFM

Suzanne

bluecoat boy

proper brummie kid
thank you both my great great grandad was a painter of prams an tiles an after he died his wife worked at bsa near alum rock i think all my old relations have died so i am trying to sort my family tree out thanks for your help

bluecoat boy

proper brummie kid
susane i think that is them i am touched seeing that they were so poor but they all done well i dont really know where to start looking i have one old relation left he is alices son she married a man called greenfield an had a tobacoe shop in shirly her other son was headmaster of a big school in shirly behind shakespear drive

smtr

master brummie
Hi Bluecoat

I will look some more for you. In the meantime there are so many excellent people on here who will most likely come up with some more information for you so sit tight:)

Suzanne

bluecoat boy

proper brummie kid
i live in yarmouth norfolk but went to blue coat school harbourne hill my mum past away this year she was born in perrt barr 1930 an now i want to find out all my familly back home in brum thanks again xx

smtr

master brummie
Bluecoat

When you say Alice married a Greenway do you mean Alice the mother or Alice the daughter?

Did the elder alice marry again after her first husband died because there is a marriage for Alice Palmer to John A Greenway in 1915 Kings Norton

Suzanne

smtr

master brummie
Bluecoat

Marriage of Alice Cole to Thomas B GREENFIELD 1921 JAS ASTON ref 6d 981 but as you can see it is Greenfield not Greenway.

possible children
Leslie T Greenfield B1922 Aston
John Greenfield B1925 Bham
Peter Greenfield B1929 Bham

Is this on the correct track?

Suzanne

bluecoat boy

proper brummie kid
that is them honest u made my day that lady was the greatest lady ever she bought me my first bull terrier he bit every one apart from me !!! les is dead john lives in yardly he was a headmaster of that big school in shirly or souihull an peter lives in lester ps i cant spell !!! thank u so much i am 6 foot 8 an wiegh 23 stone an u makeing me cry !!! xx

bluecoat boy

proper brummie kid
susan my grandad alices yonger brother was fredrick albert cole he has a sister called queenie dont now her real name she lived erdington rd in the 70 another sister gladys i think fredrick married a sarah fellows in perry barr i think it was in 1929