• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coldstream Guards

Gerry,
All CG Regimental service records were transferred to APC Glasgow a year ago. The announcement is here:
Rgds
Jonny

Thank you Jonny, I stand corrected then. I must be living in the past. It was always the only Regiment of Footguards that held their own records. Thanks.

You are right Gerry, the Household Brigade, had all records including the Coldstream Guards, at Birdcage Walk, but are all centralized now. Regards Paul

My brother Jack was in the Coldstream Guards mid to late 50's
Dave A
I was in 1959 thru 1964. I served in the 3rd then when that was placed into suspended animation, I was deployed to the 1st Battalion. What was your brothers name and if you know it, what were his first four numbers? That will give me an indication as to when he was actually serving. Cheers! Gerry

I was in 1959 thru 1964. I served in the 3rd then when that was placed into suspended animation, I was deployed to the 1st Battalion. What was your brothers name and if you know it, what were his first four numbers? That will give me an indication as to when he was actually serving. Cheers! Gerry
Jack Astley...He joined up before we left Brum, so that would have been pre 1956. Our dad was livid that he joined the "footsloggers". Apparently the recruiting officer was very convincing...the fact my brother was 6'tall, he was perfect for the guards. He is still alive and coming up to 83 years old next month.
Dave A

Jack Astley...He joined up before we left Brum, so that would have been pre 1956. Our dad was livid that he joined the "footsloggers". Apparently the recruiting officer was very convincing...the fact my brother was 6'tall, he was perfect for the guards. He is still alive and coming up to 83 years old next month.
Dave A
Jack Astley.....can't recall him, ask him if he was in the 3rd Battalion stationed at Wellington Barracke, in Birdcage Walk, opposite, Buckingham Palace, and let me have his first four numbers. Stay safe.

His number was 23206822...He came out in '59.
Dave A
Ah, that's why I wouldn't know him. I went in in that year, and my first four were 2365****. Ask him if he remembers this guy...JAN HOOPER! I bet he will, as he would be in with Jack. This is Jan inspecting rifles for cleanliness, in 1958.

Attachments

• 29955405_10213485321340712_926998485_o.jpg
    29955405_10213485321340712_926998485_o.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 19
Thanks, that's interesting.
One of my father's uncles was in the Coldstream Guards, unfortunately killed in WW1.
I believe you had to be over 6ft tall back then?

That would probably have been "Cambrai", 1915, Coldstream, loss's were considerable , in the early part of the 20th C, up to the Mid 50's, early 60's, you had to be 6' in your stocking feet, then reduced to 5' 9". now only God knows, I was 5' 10 1/2 ". Paul

My husband’s uncle now deceased 2013 joined the ColdStream guards in World War 2, became a sergeant, went through Europe in the tank command. After the war was sent to Palestine for a number of years.
I do believe he came out of the service in the 50’s.
We used to take him down to the chapel service in Westminster Barracks to commemorate the anniversary of Black Sunday in memory of the bombing of the Guards Chapel in 1944 when soldiers, and civilians were killed.
In 2005 my husband went with him to Holland to celebrate the liberation of Enschede of which he was part. The veterans were treated with great honour, and respect, but most how thankful they were for there freedom from occupation
My husband was amazed how many people were there from very young to very old. Apparently the stories of occupation, and liberation were passed from generation to generation.
One resident said to my husband you have to know occupation, and what liberation is, that’s why the history is told I believe in their schools.
My grandson in now serving LC ColdStream guards.

As an aside, if anyone has relatives in war cemeteries abroad, and has not been able to visit their grave, this may help.

https://britishwargraves.co.uk/

My wife and I had a trip booked to visit my Grandfather's grave, three years ago, but had to cancel it when my wife was diagnosed with cancer. I was keen to go, as I believe, no one from our family has ever been.

I contacted British War Graves (link above), and they kindly sent me a picture.

When the dreaded lurgy is kicked into touch, we will try and get there.

Steve.

The annual dinner of old Coldstreamers (Old Coldstreamers Association, Birmingham) in 1925. Viv.

View attachment 157129
Thanks for this.
This was me in 1959 and the other photograph, is me at last years Memorial Day, November 2020. Oh, not forgetting Public Duties at Buckingham Palace.

Attachments

• extra.jpg
    extra.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 124432040_1266649203705134_6726495389274910048_n.jpg
    124432040_1266649203705134_6726495389274910048_n.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 24
Back