• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coldstream Guards

Robert Ensor (bob)

master brummie
My grand farther was a Coldstream Guard and I have tried to find his service record a couple of times with no success, let me say this some times here in the states it can be frustrating looking up things on the web in other countries with Google most everything comes back to the U S, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I will be for ever greatfull his name Jess Ensor, there use to be a painting of him in uniform above the fireplace where he lived with my grandma I wish I had been smart enough to ask for it when my grand parents where gone

Can you giver any more info? Roughly a birth date for Jess - was this his name or was it Jesse? Any idea's when he served? There are a lot of J Ensor's on my system in the Army Lists, Medal Rolls etc. Any info. would be helpful.

Jess Ensor b 27th March 1903 d 1975
married to Beatrice Ridgway 7th April 1928 (his father Charles)
1939 Jess a works Fireman and Beatrice living 5bk 31 Saltley road
1945 and 1950 , 90 Nechells Park road
Is this your Jess, Robert.?

Last edited:
Jess Ensor b 27th March 1903 d 1975
married to Beatrice Ridgway 7th April 1928 (his father Charles)
1939 Jess a works Fireman and Beatrice living 5bk 31 Saltley road
1945 and 1950 , 90 Nechells Park road
Is this your Jess, Robert.?
Holy crap yes ! grandmother called beat by my pop, the address is right that's where my pop grew up Nechells Park Road I am gob smacked that you found this out so quick, once in a while this internet really works for good, its 4.30 am here have yet to get to bed I have been watching the TT races, Alberta I am forever in your debt thank you I type this with a tear or two, so where do I go from here to find his service record ?. once again thank you

We know his father was Charles but Jess was not at home in 1911 he was a patient in the General hospital name spelt Jesse Ensor and age 8, so no knowing what his mothers name was unless your father knows about her.

You may be interested to know that there are a couple of photographs of Jess Ensor on the site I use. From someone else's tree it looks like Charles wife (Jess's mother) was Ada Day born in 1874. It also shows that Jess had three brothers and two sisters. Charles Henry, Albert, Ada, Ernest and Rose.

What a good find Sue.
Given the info. that Sue has provided
here is your family Robert
1881 4 bk 12 Miller Street.
Jesse Ensor age 43 Pearl button maker ( Gt/gt/grandfather)
Ann age 42
Charles age 5 (Gt/grandfather, father of Jess)
Hannah 3
Edwin 1 month

they also had a son Jesse in 1859 he married in 1882 but I believe he spent 6 months in prison in 1881 for 'uttering counterfeit coin'

You may be interested to know that there are a couple of photographs of Jess Ensor on the site I use. From someone else's tree it looks like Charles wife (Jess's mother) was Ada Day born in 1874. It also shows that Jess had three brothers and two sisters. Charles Henry, Albert, Ada, Ernest and Rose.
So Ernest my uncle Ernie had a shop in Aston we would call in after a Villa game walking back to town for a free Mars bar

My grand father Jess Ensor named after his fathers brother Jesse Ensor Jess Ensor fathers name Charlie, he emigrated to Australia in 1912 to hunt rabbits ?, Jess Ensor enlisted in the Coldstream Guards 1921-1928 2nd Battalion, named my farther after his best mate in he army "Victor" Jess Ensor my name Robert Victor Ensor, so I now wonder if the J Ensor who served in the boer war was in fact Jesse Ensor brother to Charlie and my grand fathers name sake and the role model for his choice to enlist in the Coldstream Guards, keeping in mind our Charlie is off rabbit hunting on the other side of the world and never returned with a pelt or a lucky foot,

The address 5bk 31 Saltly road was in fact my grand parents home down the entry way and the 5th house down behind #31, now down the next entry way 5th house down was my grand mother (Beatrice) brother and shared a common wall as the homes were back to back.

Yes they were in the peal button business my father (Victor) tells me when he was growing up there were bags of buttons all over the place.

I think we are close to understanding but I wonder if there is another Jesse before the Charlie/Jesse brothers.

Now I have to tell my wife we have to have a son and name him Jess or change the daughters name from Jennifer to Jessie she is already confused her nick name is Pooh she is in my phone under pooh

I will have to spend a little more time on this Thank you all so very much

My grand father Jess Ensor named after his fathers brother Jesse Ensor Jess Ensor fathers name Charlie, he emigrated to Australia in 1912 to hunt rabbits ?, Jess Ensor enlisted in the Coldstream Guards 1921-1928 2nd Battalion, named my farther after his best mate in he army "Victor" Jess Ensor my name Robert Victor Ensor, so I now wonder if the J Ensor who served in the boer war was in fact Jesse Ensor brother to Charlie and my grand fathers name sake and the role model for his choice to enlist in the Coldstream Guards, keeping in mind our Charlie is off rabbit hunting on the other side of the world and never returned with a pelt or a lucky foot,

The address 5bk 31 Saltly road was in fact my grand parents home down the entry way and the 5th house down behind #31, now down the next entry way 5th house down was my grand mother (Beatrice) brother and shared a common wall as the homes were back to back.

Yes they were in the peal button business my father (Victor) tells me when he was growing up there were bags of buttons all over the place.

I think we are close to understanding but I wonder if there is another Jesse before the Charlie/Jesse brothers.

Now I have to tell my wife we have to have a son and name him Jess or change the daughters name from Jennifer to Jessie she is already confused her nick name is Pooh she is in my phone under pooh

I will have to spend a little more time on this Thank you all so very much
Just to add a little here my pop had no clue/idea about his great uncle Jessie, thank you to all that spent the time to help.

Having applied for my great uncle's service records (3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards 1921 - 1924) earlier this year, I can confirm that you need to apply to the British Army's Army Personnel Centre (APC) in Glasgow. The instructions are in the link above, but in summary you need to prove that the individual has been deceased for over 25 years (using a death certificate - BMD Registers won't suffice) and pay £30 for the privilege. Payment is normally by Cheque, so doing this from overseas may present an issue.
Rgds
Jonny

My great uncle was in the Coldstream Guards and I'm guessing the 2nd Battalion also.

I assume he appears on this photo somewhere, from 1927...

View attachment 135659

...though where he is I don't know.
A little tidbit from my pop, the buttons on the tunic would tell what battalion you were for the 2nd the buttons were in pairs and a presume for the 1st they were single.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
As an ex-Coldstream Guardsman, I can add that Regimental HQ at Birdcage Walk, London, hold military records for the Regiment, all other branches of the Household Brigade, are held at Glasgow. Thanks.

Gerry,
All CG Regimental service records were transferred to APC Glasgow a year ago. The announcement is here:
Rgds
Jonny

Back