• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coldstream Guards

Thanks, that's interesting.
One of my father's uncles was in the Coldstream Guards, unfortunately killed in WW1.
I believe you had to be over 6ft tall back then?

That would probably have been "Cambrai", 1915, Coldstream, loss's were considerable , in the early part of the 20th C, up to the Mid 50's, early 60's, you had to be 6' in your stocking feet, then reduced to 5' 9". now only God knows, I was 5' 10 1/2 ". Paul

My husband’s uncle now deceased 2013 joined the ColdStream guards in World War 2, became a sergeant, went through Europe in the tank command. After the war was sent to Palestine for a number of years.
I do believe he came out of the service in the 50’s.
We used to take him down to the chapel service in Westminster Barracks to commemorate the anniversary of Black Sunday in memory of the bombing of the Guards Chapel in 1944 when soldiers, and civilians were killed.
In 2005 my husband went with him to Holland to celebrate the liberation of Enschede of which he was part. The veterans were treated with great honour, and respect, but most how thankful they were for there freedom from occupation
My husband was amazed how many people were there from very young to very old. Apparently the stories of occupation, and liberation were passed from generation to generation.
One resident said to my husband you have to know occupation, and what liberation is, that’s why the history is told I believe in their schools.
My grandson in now serving LC ColdStream guards.

As an aside, if anyone has relatives in war cemeteries abroad, and has not been able to visit their grave, this may help.

https://britishwargraves.co.uk/

My wife and I had a trip booked to visit my Grandfather's grave, three years ago, but had to cancel it when my wife was diagnosed with cancer. I was keen to go, as I believe, no one from our family has ever been.

I contacted British War Graves (link above), and they kindly sent me a picture.

When the dreaded lurgy is kicked into touch, we will try and get there.

Steve.

The annual dinner of old Coldstreamers (Old Coldstreamers Association, Birmingham) in 1925. Viv.

View attachment 157129
Thanks for this.
This was me in 1959 and the other photograph, is me at last years Memorial Day, November 2020. Oh, not forgetting Public Duties at Buckingham Palace.

Attachments

• extra.jpg
    extra.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 124432040_1266649203705134_6726495389274910048_n.jpg
    124432040_1266649203705134_6726495389274910048_n.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 24
My uncle was in the Coldstream Guards. He joined before WW2 but was in during and after the war. His name was Desmond Francis Murphy known as Frank. Born and brought up in Sutton Coldfield.

My grand farther was a Coldstream Guard and I have tried to find his service record a couple of times with no success, let me say this some times here in the states it can be frustrating looking up things on the web in other countries with Google most everything comes back to the U S, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I will be for ever greatfull his name Jess Ensor, there use to be a painting of him in uniform above the fireplace where he lived with my grandma I wish I had been smart enough to ask for it when my grand parents where gone
Hi my granny chidler brother was in Coldstream guards also from Birmingham... Very interesting reading what happen to him..

Ah, that's why I wouldn't know him. I went in in that year, and my first four were 2365****. Ask him if he remembers this guy...JAN HOOPER! I bet he will, as he would be in with Jack. This is Jan inspecting rifles for cleanliness, in 1958
Thanks for this.
This was me in 1959 and the other photograph, is me at last years Memorial Day, November 2020. Oh, not forgetting Public Duties at Buckingham Palace.
Hi Gerry I took the liberty of posting your picture of Jan Hooper on the Pirbright Web site which drew quite a few comments cross section attached

View attachment 167262

Hi my granny chidler brother was in Coldstream guards also from Birmingham... Very interesting reading what happen to him..
Bob, this is in answer to your message regarding your Grandad. The best place to start will be: REGIMENTAL HQ. COLDSTREAM GUARDS, WELLINGTON BARRACKS, BIRDCAGE WALK, LONDON. That will get the ball rolling. If after a week or two, you haven't had a reply, please contact me again, and I will do all I can to help. Thank you Gerry. 3rd and 1st Bttn. Coldstream Guards.
Hi Gerry I took the liberty of posting your picture of Jan Hooper on the Pirbright Web site which drew quite a few comments cross section attached

View attachment 167262
No probs mate. Gerry Whats the site called...just Pirbright?

Ah, that's why I wouldn't know him. I went in in that year, and my first four were 2365****. Ask him if he remembers this guy...JAN HOOPER! I bet he will, as he would be in with Jack. This is Jan inspecting rifles for cleanliness, in 1958.
Ah, that's why I wouldn't know him. I went in in that year, and my first four were 2365****. Ask him if he remembers this guy...JAN HOOPER! I bet he will, as he would be in with Jack. This is Jan inspecting rifles for cleanliness, in 1958.
Hi Gerry. I took the liberty of posting your picture of Jan Hooper on the Pirbright Web Site which drew quite a few comments selection attached.Screenshot_2022-02-09_170859.jpg

"I went to Pirbright Guards Depot, and Survived" well used site with lots of photos and comments. I should join if I was you. You can use my name if needed. Ken Weston 23474176.ex Coldstreamer

The dreaded JAN HOOPER: Here he is again, with the young 'uns at Pirbright, where he was I/c Juniors.

Attachments

• 55071316_be8uh-M.jpg
    55071316_be8uh-M.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 15
Back