• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

coffee shop holly lane erdington

Hi Astonian, you are right , but I would call it the bottom of Holly Lane, the top end to me was Grange road/Orphanage Road maybe because we always walked up Holly lane from school,I do remember the bookies next to a café, and if I remember right just past there on the same side of the bookies there was a army cadets training ground

The TA barracks (Army Cadets)was on the other side of the road, over the canal bridge. I had 5 happy years in the Army Cadet Force, ( ACF)
in the early 60's.
Was anyone else in the Erdington ACF? Remember Captain Tom Shaw, Mick Miller.Mick Markham, etc etc:):armycigar:

Hi lencops,
I used to live just down the street from your sisters shop at 294 and my mom was a regular visitor to her shop. My family lived there between 1965 and 1990. My mom, dad and brother emigrated to SA on my parents 61st wedding anniversary aged 83 and 84 respectively. My dad was a great gardener and in his 70s was tidying up other elderly peoples gardens close by. Our house (294) backed onto the Delta grounds (mentioned in another post). I used to walk the dog around there and watch some soccer.
Astonian, I hope you are feeling better? It must be sad for you to look at that photo you posted especially as you knew it in its heyday?

I remember seeing this shop in its last few years when I worked in Wood Lane on the small bus firm there, I would pass it on return to the depot after service most days. I used to wonder its history and think it sad it stood derelict, then one day demolition started and it was gone the day after. I had quietly hoped someone might reopen it as something, but I suppose the renovation costs would have been too much.
Thanks to all who have told its story, at least the memories survive.
Any chance of a photograph of it in its heyday?

HI LOYED
Many Thanks For That Valued Info ;On Nellie,Have You Any Idea When Nellie Married A Cleaver , The Reason I,m Asking Is Because I Remember My Mom Saying That The Grand Father Was Married Before He Married Mary Ann Hughes ,, That Being Goerge Was The Oldest Son Of Willam
Whom Was The Oldest Son , Whom Had Afew Shops ,This George Whom I Spoke Of Lives In Weoly Castle now And Hes In His Ninety,s And This Is The Young George Whom Was An Councillor Like IS fATHER bUT Is Father Was
Copnservitive Like All The Jelfs
Except Young George In Is Early Days Of Life Went To Canada , And Came Back A CommonistAnd Stood For Election In The Early Years Of His Life
And He Was The Chairman Of The Aue Right Up To 1970 .Then Retired
He Has Got Alot Of History Behind Him Like Is Father And The Rest Of The Jelfs Seniors ,What I Am Hoping EventualyTo Get Some Pics Of The Great Grand Father And Of Great Grand Mother Eventualy
I Have Written To George Again To See if He Can Get Some Sorted For Me ,Also I Have Been In Touch With A Lady By The Name Of Jane Whom Is Going To Dig Some Out For When I Go AND pAY hER a visit
speak to you Soon astonian ;;

I can't remember a café in Holly lane, although Astonian is probably right that Holly lane continued over the Tyburn road, then the café would have been jelfs, on the road down to fort dunlops.We used to walk along Holly lane from Paget Road school to go to Erdington swimming baths

I think that you are correct Co-op Bill. I'm sure that it was Jelfs.

I also remember walking from Paget Road school to Erdington baths (right next door to the old wood built fire station).

Those were the days ....

HI VINTAGE bILL
What Year Was You Referring Too
Hi LLOYED I Have Got Some Pics Of The Inside The Shop Where The Tatters HaveBeen In And Wrecked It , And Afew Shots Of The Building And It Was A Very Big Garden
Me And Our Kid Was Going To Repurchase The Shop At One Stage And Restore Its To Its Old Glory Days But After Making Enquires We Was Told To Go Away And Forget It ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

HI VINTAGE bILL
What Year Was You Referring Too
Hi LLOYED I Have Got Some Pics Of The Inside The Shop Where The Tatters HaveBeen In And Wrecked It , And Afew Shots Of The Building And It Was A Very Big Garden
Me And Our Kid Was Going To Repurchase The Shop At One Stage And Restore Its To Its Old Glory Days But After Making Enquires We Was Told To Go Away And Forget It ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Hello Astonian,
Re. walking to Erdington Baths from Paget Road School, the years would have been late 1938 and 1939.
I attended Paget road Senior Boys school after leaving Gunter road juniors ......

HI VINTAGE BRUMMY
Many Thanks For Your Fast Response On Holly Lane And Letting Us Know Your Answer , And ICan Tell YouThat It Was My Grand Parents Coffee Shop
On Holly Lane My Grand Father William George Jelf Died There September The 16th
1935 The Day After My Birth Day And MyGrand Mother Mary Ann Hughes [ Jelf ]
Continued To Run It Right Up Until Died Sept The 15th My Birthday 1946 ,
Then Ivy Ran It Right Up Until 1980 ,S Then She Died , Many Thanks Again
For Remembering This Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

The TA barracks (Army Cadets)was on the other side of the road, over the canal bridge. I had 5 happy years in the Army Cadet Force, ( ACF)
in the early 60's.
Was anyone else in the Erdington ACF? Remember Captain Tom Shaw, Mick Miller.Mick Markham, etc etc:):armycigar:

I remember being in the Erdington ACF back in ~1959 to 1962 which then my family moved down to Hereford.
I absolutely enjoyed this part of my life. Cannot remember any names!!.
I joined the Hereford ACF back in 62 but it only lasted about 6 months, did not enjoy it much.

Hi guys i would love to have encounterd more on the story about 309 holly lane tyburn road erdington which there was big issues regarding the property that my family made from the early 1900s by my great grand father jelf i have got pics of the interior i also have pics of its destruction but i have to sing dumb on the whole affair but its a case of a political moventsi used that expression because when i went to gather info on our property i was told by a senior member in private at the planning department that i should go away and forget it because i have undone a can of worms it was not the case my brother and myself desperately wanted to rebuild and we was gonnna spend and renovate it and would have called it after our mothers name as she is the only daughter to her father ernest jelf my mother was joyce so we was gonna call it JJ,S but it was not to be owing to the system i will call it and i worked under cover for six months to get to the brux of the matter and discovered one hell of a lot but the power behind it as the advantage Alot of people from dunlop used it And they sent floral arrangements as well to his funeral i will try and sort out these photos of the rise and fall of the jelfs empire she was the last of the coffee house boys by the way there garden went right back down on holly lane and there fountain in there garden was huge just like victoria square wasbut rest assured i have got information in photographs of there coming and going and dated best wishes Astonian;;;;

Hi guys here are the brothers with there father standing out side a premises in jamica row alo the phot of ivy being young she was there secretay for the jelfs in total theey had thirty three shops around brum including the early yeas in the city

Attachments

• ivy-jelf-1-front.jpg
    ivy-jelf-1-front.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 26
  • jelf-1.jpg
    jelf-1.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 24
  • JELF-2.jpg
    JELF-2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 21
  • JELF-3.jpg
    JELF-3.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 30
  • jelf-location1.jpg
    jelf-location1.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 32
  • jelf-location2.jpg
    jelf-location2.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 31
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 26
Hi
Can anyone help please?
Trying to find out if there was coffee shop in Holly Lane Erdington,
owner was Alf Wragg.

Sandra

Going back to the original question asked by Sandra, she never gave a date, so I was wondering if this could be the cafe in question. This photo was taken in the mid 50's and the number of the cafe was 272. Both the cafe and the ladies hairdressers next door are still there but have now been converted into houses.

Erdington Holly Lane 1955.jpg

yes in deed they sure did it was a thick glass and thats when charles ran it after his father died he also the corner of Alma street charles owned it also on alma street i think it was number 47 booking office along with another on at tyburn road ajoining there coffee shop along with one arm bandits but because of the other grand father was a copper they told him when they are being raided

Thanks Alan. Those little cafés were a godsend to us council workers. The council provided no welfare facility’s whatsoever, so we would pop into these little coffee houses as we called them for a cuppa, some food and the loo.

The Holly Lane Café in #33 was grocers’ shop in 1975 but the owner did tell me it used to be a café and she would still do us a bacon sandwich.

morturn so there was another coffee shop on holly lane ours was at the junction of holly lane and tyburn road with an ajoining betting shop so the one in 33 is further down holly lane then with a ajoining grocery provisions for all there coffee shops around brum our shop was listed postal Adress was 309 tyburn road erdington they was there from the early 1930s never packed up befor the 1980 Alan;;

Yes, I knew the one of the corner, I think thats the one that did the tea in glasses

Back