• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

coffee shop holly lane erdington

Hi guys here are the brothers with there father standing out side a premises in jamica row alo the phot of ivy being young she was there secretay for the jelfs in total theey had thirty three shops around brum including the early yeas in the city

Attachments

• ivy-jelf-1-front.jpg
    ivy-jelf-1-front.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 26
  • jelf-1.jpg
    jelf-1.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 24
  • JELF-2.jpg
    JELF-2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 21
  • JELF-3.jpg
    JELF-3.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 30
  • jelf-location1.jpg
    jelf-location1.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 32
  • jelf-location2.jpg
    jelf-location2.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 31
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 26
Hi
Can anyone help please?
Trying to find out if there was coffee shop in Holly Lane Erdington,
owner was Alf Wragg.

Sandra

Going back to the original question asked by Sandra, she never gave a date, so I was wondering if this could be the cafe in question. This photo was taken in the mid 50's and the number of the cafe was 272. Both the cafe and the ladies hairdressers next door are still there but have now been converted into houses.

Erdington Holly Lane 1955.jpg

yes in deed they sure did it was a thick glass and thats when charles ran it after his father died he also the corner of Alma street charles owned it also on alma street i think it was number 47 booking office along with another on at tyburn road ajoining there coffee shop along with one arm bandits but because of the other grand father was a copper they told him when they are being raided

Thanks Alan. Those little cafés were a godsend to us council workers. The council provided no welfare facility’s whatsoever, so we would pop into these little coffee houses as we called them for a cuppa, some food and the loo.

The Holly Lane Café in #33 was grocers’ shop in 1975 but the owner did tell me it used to be a café and she would still do us a bacon sandwich.

morturn so there was another coffee shop on holly lane ours was at the junction of holly lane and tyburn road with an ajoining betting shop so the one in 33 is further down holly lane then with a ajoining grocery provisions for all there coffee shops around brum our shop was listed postal Adress was 309 tyburn road erdington they was there from the early 1930s never packed up befor the 1980 Alan;;

Yes, I knew the one of the corner, I think thats the one that did the tea in glasses

Back