• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

coffee shop holly lane erdington

sandra

master brummie
Hi
Can anyone help please?
Trying to find out if there was coffee shop in Holly Lane Erdington,
owner was Alf Wragg.

Sandra

Last edited:
Hi Sandra
With Reference To The Coffee Shop On Holly Lane Erdington
It Was At The Junction Of Tyburn Rd Erdington The Excact Address
Was Ivydene , 902 Tyburn Rd Erdington
And That Was FromIn The 1920,s Right Up Until AuntyIvy Died In 1988,
It Belong And Built By Her Grand Father Whom Came From The Village Of Honeybourne Worc And In The Building Of This Large Dwelling He Brought With Him From The Honey bourne Village A Special Brick Which Was Only Made In Honey bourne From Special Clay And This Was Inplanted With in The North Side Of The Shop Front This Wa Removed By Some-one In 2003 Before The
Mystry Builder Came And Demolished The Hundred Year Old Property
And They Wrapped It Up In A Special Wax Paper And Have Taken Some-where I Do nOT kNOW
This Property Was A Large House With A Very Large Garden
Tey Had An Into Next Door Booking Office Which Joined It Also They Owned The Ajoining Ware housing Next To It
This Was Passed Through The Generations Of The Jelfs
Grand Father To His Son , William Jelf ,Passed IT To His Wife In 1935
Where He DiedAnd He Passed ItTo His Wife , Mary Ann Hughes,
When She Died In September 1946 She Passed It To Her Son
Charles Henry Jelf WhomAlreadyHad Hi Own Booking ,And Coffee Shop In Alma St, ASTON , Ivy Was The Secretary So Henry Gave Her The Business
She AS Lived There Right UP UNTIL 1988 Where She Died In The b,ham
General Hospital She Was Cremated And Her AshesWas Put With Her MtherAnd Father ,s Grave William JELF, And MaryANN Jelf [ Nee Hughes ]
AT St BARNARDS Church In Erdinton ,
And The Property Was Sold For £ 9O,OOO Pounds
All This Can Be Verfiyed By The Land Registry
Have A Nice Day Astonian ,

Can't help with the coffee shop but the Delta Metal Company in Dartmouth Street had a sportsfield in Holly Lane. Super place with a nice pavilion, tennis courts and bowling green. Used to watch my dad and played cricket there myself. There used to be a rifle range there at one time also. Often used to go up there over Bromford Bridge and past the Dunlop factory.

I can't remember a café in Holly lane, although Astonian is probably right that Holly lane continued over the Tyburn road, then the café would have been jelfs, on the road down to fort dunlops.We used to walk along Holly lane from Paget Road school to go to Erdington swimming baths

Coffee Shop In Holly LaneErdington

Hi Cooperbill7
If You Cross Check Reference With The Electrol Listng
The Cafe Was At The Top End OF Holly Lane And The Junction Of
Tyburn Rd The Premises Was At An Angle On The Junction
The Shop Premises Was At An Angle And The Private Quarter WAS On
The Holly Lane And The Large Garden Ran Down Holly Lane Which Was
Also There Betting Shop Was A Walk Through If You Like A Back Room
This Was My Grand Parents Home And Business And There Listed As 9O2
Tyburn Rd And 908 Tyburn Rd Was There Big Ware housing For Whole sale Provisions For All There Thirty Three Coffee Rooms And Chippies
Do YuRemember The Watering Trough In The Middle Of The Road Out side There Coffee Shop InThe Fifties ,?
Also Aunty Ivy Was Never Married ThroughOut Her Life ,
best wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;;

Hi Astonian, you are right , but I would call it the bottom of Holly Lane, the top end to me was Grange road/Orphanage Road maybe because we always walked up Holly lane from school,I do remember the bookies next to a café, and if I remember right just past there on the same side of the bookies there was a army cadets training ground

coffee shop in holly lane erdington

Good Morning Coopbill7
I,m Glad You Can Recall It I Have Been Trying To Rack My Brain Since
Reading Your Thread And Trying To Visalize Orhpanage Rd From Them Days
To Way Back Then,At The Moment I,m TryingTo Get My Brain To Function
As I Have Just Come Out Of Hospital Two Days Ago As I Sufferd An Heart Attack Afew Weeks Ago It Was My Second One In A Couple Of Years
And I Came Home On Friday Thank god
I Used To Travel On The Tram From Lichfield Rd Up To The Coffee Shop
And Stay There With My Grand Parents We Lived Next Door To Thompsons The Butchers And The Betting Shop Belong ed To My Uncle Henry Jelf
When You Went Into The Tea Room You Could If You Wanted To Bet ,Walk
Through A Side Door At The End Of The Counter IntoThe Betting Shop
It Was Always Packed From The People Whom Worked At The Dunlop
Also From Various Dray men And Bakers Delivering The Beer, From Ansells.
And The Bread Men ,With There Horse And Cart Drinking FromThe Trough
Have A Nice Day ,Best Wishes Astonian ,

Hi Astonian, sorry to hear of your recent hospitalization, hope your health continues to improve.
Orphanage Road was at the top end of Holly Lane,after Grange Road,
When you visited your Gran did you ever go to the Apollo cinema? it was only about 300yds down the Tyburn road past your Gran's going toward Chester road.

Coffee house Holly lane Erdington

Hi Cooperbill7
Yes I Do Recall Goind To The Flix , At The Appollo
My Dads Brother Took MeAnd My Younger Brother There [ Uncle Joe ]
But I Did,nt Really Like It In There , When We Came Out ,No Matter
Which Flix We Went To He Would Always Buy Us A Penny Bag Of Chips
His Occupation Was A Hat Maker I Don,t Know Where Thou Every Saturday Night He Would Scan The Old B,ham Post I Think It Was Called Then They Changrd To The B,ham Mail It Was A Very Large Sheets ,
By The Way I,m Digging Out A Couple Of Pics , Of The Coffee Shop
Before They Done There Midnight Desecration ,They Started Saturday Afternoon And Finished Sun day Afternnoon,,And They Left It Forty Feet
High And All The Rubble Was There For Weeks Before They Decided To Remove Any think, A Local Neibour Said It Was The Fastest Demo He Has Ever Seen Any Way I,LL Get My Son To Do And Put Them Up Over The Week end
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,''''

Jelfs Coffee Shop Holly Lane Erdington

Hi Cooperbill7
Here Is The Coffee Shop Of The Jelf,s Empire Which Was Finalaly
Came To An End ,The Very Last Shop Of There Empire ,
Starting From 1925 And Passed Through The Generations Of The Jelf Family
Orinal y Passed To Mary Ann Jelf [ Nee Hughes ] In 1935 When William Died ,
September I5th , And Eventualy Mary Ann Died 16th Sept 1946
This In Turned Was Passed Th Charles Henry Jelf One Of The Older Sons
Chales Had A Coffee Shop And A Booking ShopIn Alma St Aston Already
And Because Ivy Was The Youngest Of The Jelf Family ,And She Did Not Have Her Own Business HEnry Gave ItTo Her, Which Caused May hem With Ernest
And HimAnd Ivy Never Spoke In Forty Years And Vowed Never To Step Over The Thresh Hold Which He Kept To His Word ,Any Way You Can See The ShopIS AtAn Angle And On The Corner Of Holly Lane The TopEnd Of Tyburn Rd
Ivy Never Moderised The Dwelling Any Shape Or FormFromThe Day To 1989
When She Died As Wealthy Old Spinster Alone The Property Was Derelict Right Up To 2005, If YouLookAt The Property To The Left By The Hoardings
That Was The Orinal Betting Shop Set Up By Charles Henry, And The Garden S
Went Right Back Along HollyLane, At The Moment ,I Do Have More Pic Of
The Coffee ShopInside ,AlSO Pics Of The Orinal Signs And Poster Put By
HenryJelf And With History Ivy Never Changed A Thing FromThat Day To This Day And It Was Sold For 9O, Thousand Pounds , In All They Amased
Thirty Three Shops Amongest Them Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,

Hi there

My Nan was a Jelfs and told me that this was her family business. Not sure where she fitted in though. Her name is Nellie. Any ideas.
:)

Remember the little kiosk next to the canal bridge, brought my ciggies from there for years on my way to Dunlops.:grin2:

My Sister Gladys Wood owned a shop in Holly Lane, tobacco,sweets etc also sandwiches to order, it was opposite Nock`s Bricks circa 1973.

HI THERE hlw193 And Frothblower
Much To My Surprize That Some -body Does Remembering TheJelfs
Yes There Name Was Inbeddeded In TheFront Steps Of The Bussiness
Of The Coffee Shop And It Was Created By My Great Grand Father
Also When This Shop Was Built There Was A Specialy Laid Brick In The Building On The RiGHT hAND oF The Premises Which Was Brought Up From Honeybourne And Made In The Late 1800,S bY A Certain Brick Makers Of The Century TheseWas Purpose Built For The Honeybourne People
When The City Decided To Demolish The Shop In Holly Lane The First Thing They Done Was To Take Out This Rare Brick And Wrapp It Up In Wax Paper
And Have Have Taken It Away And It Is Now In Storage Some where ? >
I Have Afew More Pic Of The Shop To Down Load And Documents
When I Can Get My Son To Come Over And Do It For Me,
Frothblower Whom Was Your Nan Married Too ? . I BEleive THERE Was A Nellie Jelf WhomUsed To Work With In The Family Bussiness ,----------
Hold On Just One Minute , = As I Am Writing My Mind Is Thinking Back In Time And In Georges Will I Think She Was Mentioned And He Left Her A Sum Of Money Along With The Rest Of The Emediate Family And All His Grand Children When They Reached 21,Years Old .
I Will Try And Dig Out His Will In The Next Couple Of Days And Come Back To You And Confirm It There His One Person Whom I Really Would Like To Trace But Maybe She Has Passed Away , A Mrs Robinson , She Had Ginger Hair She Could Be A Great Help To ME In Learning More About The Jelfs
For Some Reason I Think She Came From The Park Lane Area Of ASton , And Also A Mrs Mack ANY Way Is It Possible You Cold Tell Me Whom Was Nellie Married To,?. Many Thanks For Bringing Me To The Attention Of Nellie
Speak With You Soon , Have A Nice Day ASTONIAN ,;;;;;

Fascinating mate, I always admired that step.
The shop was used as Indian take away for a short time. I think that was the last time the shop was used.
By the way it wasn't my Nan but hlw1973's.

HI Frothblower
I Have Been Going Through My Old Threads On The Forum, Regarding
Holly Lane Erdington Which Mentioned The Coffee Shop,
May I Say First Of All Many Thanks For Saying That You Admired The Engraved Front Step,And Secondly Has I Don,t Recall You At That Time Seeing Your Response To My Thread And Yet Again I Thank you Also For Doing So , Which Brings Me To Write This Thread Now To Asked What Does Your Abbreatheation Mean ,When You Said ,It Was,nt My Nan,
But hlw 1973,s What Is The Meaning hlw, I ,m Completely Lost By That Intials , I Would Really Appreciated If You Could Give
Many Thanks And Best Wishes ASTONIAN

hlw1973 is a member of the forum, he posted above :
"My Nan was a Jelfs and told me that this was her family business. Not sure where she fitted in though. Her name is Nellie. Any ideas."

Hi LOYED
Yes I Do Believe She Was A Member Of The Jelfs , She Was One Of The Older Ones
But She Had No Part In Any Part Of The Running Of Any Of The Jelfs Bussiness,s
I Do Have A Letter Written By Young George Jelf Which AI Recieved About Two Years Ago ,From Him , George Is Still live And In Is Ninety,s I Will Dig It Out ,Because I,m Sure He Mentioned Nellies

Hi there, Nellie married a Cleaver in 1948 i believe, she is 82 now, but I do not know a George.

Hi Astonian, you are right , but I would call it the bottom of Holly Lane, the top end to me was Grange road/Orphanage Road maybe because we always walked up Holly lane from school,I do remember the bookies next to a café, and if I remember right just past there on the same side of the bookies there was a army cadets training ground

The TA barracks (Army Cadets)was on the other side of the road, over the canal bridge. I had 5 happy years in the Army Cadet Force, ( ACF)
in the early 60's.
Was anyone else in the Erdington ACF? Remember Captain Tom Shaw, Mick Miller.Mick Markham, etc etc:):armycigar:

Hi lencops,
I used to live just down the street from your sisters shop at 294 and my mom was a regular visitor to her shop. My family lived there between 1965 and 1990. My mom, dad and brother emigrated to SA on my parents 61st wedding anniversary aged 83 and 84 respectively. My dad was a great gardener and in his 70s was tidying up other elderly peoples gardens close by. Our house (294) backed onto the Delta grounds (mentioned in another post). I used to walk the dog around there and watch some soccer.
Astonian, I hope you are feeling better? It must be sad for you to look at that photo you posted especially as you knew it in its heyday?

I remember seeing this shop in its last few years when I worked in Wood Lane on the small bus firm there, I would pass it on return to the depot after service most days. I used to wonder its history and think it sad it stood derelict, then one day demolition started and it was gone the day after. I had quietly hoped someone might reopen it as something, but I suppose the renovation costs would have been too much.
Thanks to all who have told its story, at least the memories survive.
Any chance of a photograph of it in its heyday?

HI LOYED
Many Thanks For That Valued Info ;On Nellie,Have You Any Idea When Nellie Married A Cleaver , The Reason I,m Asking Is Because I Remember My Mom Saying That The Grand Father Was Married Before He Married Mary Ann Hughes ,, That Being Goerge Was The Oldest Son Of Willam
Whom Was The Oldest Son , Whom Had Afew Shops ,This George Whom I Spoke Of Lives In Weoly Castle now And Hes In His Ninety,s And This Is The Young George Whom Was An Councillor Like IS fATHER bUT Is Father Was
Copnservitive Like All The Jelfs
Except Young George In Is Early Days Of Life Went To Canada , And Came Back A CommonistAnd Stood For Election In The Early Years Of His Life
And He Was The Chairman Of The Aue Right Up To 1970 .Then Retired
He Has Got Alot Of History Behind Him Like Is Father And The Rest Of The Jelfs Seniors ,What I Am Hoping EventualyTo Get Some Pics Of The Great Grand Father And Of Great Grand Mother Eventualy
I Have Written To George Again To See if He Can Get Some Sorted For Me ,Also I Have Been In Touch With A Lady By The Name Of Jane Whom Is Going To Dig Some Out For When I Go AND pAY hER a visit
speak to you Soon astonian ;;

I can't remember a café in Holly lane, although Astonian is probably right that Holly lane continued over the Tyburn road, then the café would have been jelfs, on the road down to fort dunlops.We used to walk along Holly lane from Paget Road school to go to Erdington swimming baths

I think that you are correct Co-op Bill. I'm sure that it was Jelfs.

I also remember walking from Paget Road school to Erdington baths (right next door to the old wood built fire station).

Those were the days ....

HI VINTAGE bILL
What Year Was You Referring Too
Hi LLOYED I Have Got Some Pics Of The Inside The Shop Where The Tatters HaveBeen In And Wrecked It , And Afew Shots Of The Building And It Was A Very Big Garden
Me And Our Kid Was Going To Repurchase The Shop At One Stage And Restore Its To Its Old Glory Days But After Making Enquires We Was Told To Go Away And Forget It ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

HI VINTAGE bILL
What Year Was You Referring Too
Hi LLOYED I Have Got Some Pics Of The Inside The Shop Where The Tatters HaveBeen In And Wrecked It , And Afew Shots Of The Building And It Was A Very Big Garden
Me And Our Kid Was Going To Repurchase The Shop At One Stage And Restore Its To Its Old Glory Days But After Making Enquires We Was Told To Go Away And Forget It ,
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Hello Astonian,
Re. walking to Erdington Baths from Paget Road School, the years would have been late 1938 and 1939.
I attended Paget road Senior Boys school after leaving Gunter road juniors ......

HI VINTAGE BRUMMY
Many Thanks For Your Fast Response On Holly Lane And Letting Us Know Your Answer , And ICan Tell YouThat It Was My Grand Parents Coffee Shop
On Holly Lane My Grand Father William George Jelf Died There September The 16th
1935 The Day After My Birth Day And MyGrand Mother Mary Ann Hughes [ Jelf ]
Continued To Run It Right Up Until Died Sept The 15th My Birthday 1946 ,
Then Ivy Ran It Right Up Until 1980 ,S Then She Died , Many Thanks Again
For Remembering This Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

The TA barracks (Army Cadets)was on the other side of the road, over the canal bridge. I had 5 happy years in the Army Cadet Force, ( ACF)
in the early 60's.
Was anyone else in the Erdington ACF? Remember Captain Tom Shaw, Mick Miller.Mick Markham, etc etc:):armycigar:

I remember being in the Erdington ACF back in ~1959 to 1962 which then my family moved down to Hereford.
I absolutely enjoyed this part of my life. Cannot remember any names!!.
I joined the Hereford ACF back in 62 but it only lasted about 6 months, did not enjoy it much.

Hi guys i would love to have encounterd more on the story about 309 holly lane tyburn road erdington which there was big issues regarding the property that my family made from the early 1900s by my great grand father jelf i have got pics of the interior i also have pics of its destruction but i have to sing dumb on the whole affair but its a case of a political moventsi used that expression because when i went to gather info on our property i was told by a senior member in private at the planning department that i should go away and forget it because i have undone a can of worms it was not the case my brother and myself desperately wanted to rebuild and we was gonnna spend and renovate it and would have called it after our mothers name as she is the only daughter to her father ernest jelf my mother was joyce so we was gonna call it JJ,S but it was not to be owing to the system i will call it and i worked under cover for six months to get to the brux of the matter and discovered one hell of a lot but the power behind it as the advantage Alot of people from dunlop used it And they sent floral arrangements as well to his funeral i will try and sort out these photos of the rise and fall of the jelfs empire she was the last of the coffee house boys by the way there garden went right back down on holly lane and there fountain in there garden was huge just like victoria square wasbut rest assured i have got information in photographs of there coming and going and dated best wishes Astonian;;;;

Back