• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coffee Bars:

Hi Astonian, late 70's the landlord was Tommy Breen an Albion fanatic, he later moved to a pub in Hamstead after ill health. I had some long hours in there. Regards George

Hi george
Yes I seem to recall him now I don't know whether or not you have ever read any of my old post but I not only worked the rounds of hands worth
Virtually all over hands with as a milkman from one end to another but I also did the clubs and pubs after dark so to speak
Along with my late brother inlaw and friends all from Aston Catherine street the Jones whom lived next door to old Roy woodie
And my cousins all Birmingham market traders for decades every one of them lived in hands worth as. Well
And through Joanna I got to know him as he was a great friend of his as tony was the bigger boozer than me and his mates
We used to used the exchange as well up by six ways on park land by Bartons place as it was called them
Great memory of handsworth and especially with a couple of young ladies from brunswick red hands with I expect they are all married
With an army of kids around them I often think back about the girls I courted and wined and dined in my youth and young man days
Wondered what did they turn out like whom and what did they made and how many kids did they end up with
And where do they live now rich or poor I know one thing thou I have a younger brother whom sees one of my o.LD flames in kings heath
And apparently she lives up the May pole area of kings heath and always asked about me how is he and where does he live
He tells HDR I do not know I must have been an apple in her eyes and she always States to our kid Alan is the man for me ha ,ha,
So I know that's one not forgotten me I musxt have been a good looking guy in my youth now like most of s knocking death doors
Still I still have my own teeth and hair eye sight fading habit thou now
All the best our kid Astonian,,,,,,,,

Hi Sparkstopper,
I remember the El Torro coffee bar, it was located between Woolworths and the old Milk Bar, around where the Funeral parlour is now I believe,I put 6d. in the juke box and chose Rebel Rock by Tommy Steel, Goodnight Mrs. Flintstone by the Piltdown Men and Guitar Boogie Shuffle by Bert Weedon all good stuff. I also remember the the Pop Inn, in York Road, The Rendevous on the corner of the High Street and Harrison Road and the Pancake in New Street.
In the city we had the first real coffee bar called the Jungle in Snow Hill Just below Zizmans the modern mans shop that sold Teddy Boy suits etc. the Troccadero, behind the fire station and the Sicilia at Five Ways

...and here's what the Kardomah has been turned into now - something that looks like it's been furnished with old railway sleepers and off-cuts from a saw mill...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The La Fiesta was definitely in Summer Row, (just off end of Great Charles Street) the same end of town as the Museum and Art Gallery and just a few minutes walk from there. I used to go there frequently in 1958/1960ish as my boyfriend worked there, the back part was designed to look like a cave, there was a juke box and they sold espresso coffee,pepsi, coca cola and beefburgers. It was very popular but closed as it was demolished to widen the road, it was opposite a pub called The Shakespeare which is still there to this day.

Thanks pat11. I've been trying to remember where it was for ages. I saw in an old diary that I used to go there a lot but I don't ever remember it being in Summer Row, still I guess you have just confirmed it! I would have gone there around the same time as you 1958/60.

Judy

As you went there about the same time as me I wonder if you remember some of the regulars, my boyfriend at the time worked there he was 16 and called Billy Taylor, other regulars were Ozzie and Hazel, Jimmy Fenton and Janet, Capone, and Owen. You may not know us as we were a clique, in there most nights but kept to ourselves. The photograph somebody supplied on this post is definitely the La Fiesta its the white building further down in the photo with the half moon shaped window and lettering at the top. The juke box always seemed to be playing a particular song, it was a Shadows instrumental, I think it was called Tel Star. Happy days!

...and here's what the Kardomah has been turned into now - something that looks like it's been furnished with old railway sleepers and off-cuts from a saw mill...

I wonder what my great great Aunty would think of it now, from her times there as head waitress in 1911 serving café au lait to actors, she was very forward thinking I think she would approve.

pat11 - none of the names you mention ring a bell with me. I would have been about 19/20 when I went there. The name of Billy Taylor is a bit familiar - did he later work at the Alex backstage? I knew a Billy who worked there but can't remember his last name. I would have gone there with boyfriends/friends at the time: Neville (?), Norma, Alan Roberts, Pat and Chris Higgins, Terry Sanders, these are names that come to mind.

Judy

Last edited:
Likewise none of the names you mention ring a bell with me and no, Billy Taylor didn't go on to work at the Alex. Thought I would mention I just remembered another thing about La Fiesta - it had large barrels as tables and smaller barrels to sit on. The counter was on the right as you walked in, and the back part looked like the Flintstones set.

I used to occasionally use the Las Vegas coffee bar in the early 60's which was a bit further down the hill than the La Fiesta which by this time had been demolished I don't think the Las Vegas lasted much longer than 1963 or thereabouts when the whole of that side of Summer Row disappeared.

In this photo looking up Summer Row from the Las Vegas you can just see where they have demolished La Fiesta near the left hand side of the photo. According to the date on the photo 1960 the La Fiesta must have been gone by then.

Attachments

• Ladywood Summer Row 1960.jpg
    Ladywood Summer Row 1960.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 42
I used to like the coffee bar in the Museum, where they served frothy coffee in shallow glass cups. In the late '60s it seemed very sophisticated! There was also a little coffee bar in a corner of the new Rep. (I know they're not coffee bars in the strict meaning of the words).

Later, the Kardomah and Drucker's (in one of the arcades?) were the places.

maria

Used to get a lunchtime milk shake at the Pop Inn when I attended day release at Erdington Tech. Must have been around 1964ish.

Hi r aston
i remember the pop inn of erdington way back then i used to live i orchard road them days
by the way r. Do you have any relatives that used to live in king standing by any chance years ago
the reasoo i am asking is because i am trying to find an old friend by the name of aston
to be precise his first name was jon and he had a brother called vic and a much younger brother callled
steven, whom i had actualy saved his life twice in his younger nipper days
they left kingstanding and moved to ladywood monument road
where i lost contact and i beleive he got married and met him out side tescos on alum rock rd
i did put aall out on him on here many years ago but no responce
so i hope you do not mind me asking best wishes astonian,, alan,,,,,

I remember both Kardomahs New Street and Colmore Row, Sombrero and the Venitia all in the fifties. I also went to thr Museum cafe on saturdays after work 12 noon. Great memories. I worked in Prudential buildings the lift went down into the kd.

Jennyann
Surely El Torro was in Ethel St on the left going down from New St. Opening in 1958? I am sure that I went to the El Torro in the middle '50s & cant remember paying to get in.
John

I remember both Kardomahs New Street and Colmore Row, Sombrero and the Venitia all in the fifties. I also went to thr Museum cafe on saturdays after work 12 noon. Great memories. I worked in Prudential buildings the lift went down into the kd.

I often used to go to the Museum coffee bar in the 1970s. I remember the shallow glass cups and the frothy coffee that seemed the height of sophistication at the time!

maria

Re my previous reply No 37. My brain has at last switched into gear. The place as stated was run by Van Hagen and was called the La Fiesta. After reopening it had another name. I cannot help any more. Regards George.
Around 1963 there was also a club downstairs in the cellar called the Brum cavern....a take of Liverpool cavern.

Back