• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Codes on 1939 Register

jmadone

master brummie
Can someone help me with the attached 1939 register entry please. I am trying to find out what the green ink amendments mean. I know that the one on the right is "known as" but does anyone know what the alpha/numerical reference is.Screenshot 2021-04-22 090615.jpg
Thank you in advance
Jim

Is part of it a date? 17th May 1962. Perhaps it refers to the date the change was recorded. The other bit looks like initials - person who made the change.
There is a suggestion on Google that "CR283" (quite common for name changes) is a reference to the form used to notify about the change.

Last edited:
i dont think it does but it almost looks like it says killed in action...KIA FOOTIT or it could say R/A FOOTIT

lyn

Is part of it a date? 17th May 1962. Perhaps it refers to the date the change was recorded. The other bit looks like initials - person who made the change.
There is a suggestion on Google that "CR283" (quite common for name changes) is a reference to the form used to notify about the change.
Thanks for that. I couldn't find a marriage between the two of them so that must be it as her death reg. says Footit.

Apparently until 1991 it was maintained by the NHS as it was used in 1948 to set up the people entitled to treatment under the NHS. I assume someone would have filled in a form CR283 (probably at the register office) and sent it to the NHS central register for updating.
On my Mom and aunts entries it shows the following.
1619082321152.png
I think the CR 283 must have been a later form as that entry refers to my aunts second marriage on 8.5.74 in Birmingham. That aunt married for the first time immediately after the register was taken and does show all 3 of her surnames but just has a black M for the first marriage. The other 2 entries M QEJ seem to be codes used earlier on - 10.6.50 being my parents wedding date and 17.6.49 being my aunt's wedding date.

Last edited:
I wonder in her case if the DE refers to "deed poll" and she just changed her name as I notice she is living with people whose surname is Footit. Also as it has k/a not m. Have you seen her death cert? One of the questions asked (certainly these days) is whether they had been know by any other name apart from maiden name (if they were married).

Looking at your example there are the initials BIR under the number. In my case it is DE. I'm assuming that BIR is for Birmingham and DE is for Derbyshire as the entry address is Chesterfield, Derbyshire

I did wonder. So now we know. Date is date of change and letters are the place. CR 283 probably does just refer to a form or notification.
Interesting as I hadn't really taken on board what it said by Mom and Aunts' names.
There are errors - my Mom's name is blacked out as she died after they stopped updating the reg but my Dad is clearly visible and he was certainly alive and kicking at 8.30 this morning so should not be visible on the reg.

Have found a bit more info here

Screenshot 2021-04-22 111517.jpg

Screenshot 2021-04-22 111404.jpg
Also from Rootschat
Screenshot 2021-04-22 111104.jpg

That seems to explain it all. Thanks very much for your info and interest

Could somebody tell me what the code RC=SSAT indicates on this 1939 register entry, I know that these 2 people were French born.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• passat-1939-register.jpg
    passat-1939-register.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 15
I thiink the letters SSAT are the last letters of the surname Passat as they are on the fold. Could RC mean Roman Catholic?
rosie.
Thanks Rosie, I think you are correct about the PASSAT, I wonder if there are some other letters in front of RC, I did think originally it was Roman Catholic but not sure now.

I also have an NR230 code next to a cousin of my dad and area code for Salford. As mention above it's for a reason other than marriage.

How many other reasons can there be? Could it be for a marriage in a different country? Can't find her after the 1939 Register entry.

I also have an NR230 code next to a cousin of my dad and area code for Salford. As mention above it's for a reason other than marriage.

How many other reasons can there be? Could it be for a marriage in a different country? Can't find her after the 1939 Register entry.
MWS
Would she have been known by another name? People with 'foreign' names often changed them with the impending war.

Another possibility is a woman who took the name of the man she was living with but was not married to. Perhaps because they were already married to other people? My paternal grandmother did this in the early years of the last century.

Or perhaps she wished to disappear from the view of a troublesome husband?

I read that change of name by deed poll was usually published in the London Gazette.

Derek

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thanks Derek.

She was English/Welsh with a fairly common English surname and unmarried in 1939. There doesn't appear to be a marriage between then and the date given for her name change, which if the info on the register is correct was just adding a second surname to her own for it to become double barrelled.

I have her dob from the register but no death or anything else comes up for her under any of the names. I can only think that she emigrated that's why I wondered about a foreign marriage.

Frustrating as she and her sister (equally elusive) are my closest relatives that I can't trace.

MWS
Emigration a possibility. Try to look at shipping registers? As you say frustrating.
The 1939 Register was apparently used for a long time to establish NHS eligibility.
Derek

Back