• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cockshut Hill School

What a lovely photo Rowan, I know you posted it because the school is in the background but the mother and daughter are so pretty.

cockshut hill

l went to cockshut hill school, it was a all girls school when l was there. left about 1969. We called it the prison on the hill:)
regards Margaret Ann.

This is getting stranger. There is an article in Brummagem July 06 issue 64 entitled A Teenagers View at Cockshut Hill with lots of photo's by Rachael Wooley.

The photo was taken in Spring 1943 and I believe the school was used as a base for Canadian soldiers, can't swear to that, but it is what I was lead to believe.:)

My daughter goes to cockshut hill the old part of the school is still there but they have built a new part next to it and it's a technology college now.

The photo was taken in Spring 1943 and I believe the school was used as a base for Canadian soldiers, can't swear to that, but it is what I was lead to believe.:)
I attended Cockshut Hill School from 1940 to 1943, the builders were still working on the upper floor when we moved in from the old school, the only Canadian there was Miss Linnecor and she said she was staying even if there is war and i am not going back to Canada!, she taught form 3/1 the top form, she was an excellent teacher i know because i was in her form, as far as i know she was still there when WW2 ended, later in her career she was the Head of Harbone all Girls School and retired in 1994, she had about 4yrs of retirement before she pssed away.

Len,
Have you seen the thread I started re Cockshutt Hill Cottage?

Ann

I left there in 1948 to start working for a living. My first headmaster was Mr Humphries later replaced by a rather unpleasant man named York. Main class teacher was Mr Ayto, Mr Birch was the metal work teacher. My mother died in Newton Abbot in 1999, one of the neighbours who cared for her in her last few weeks turned out to be one of the school dinner ladies from the school on the 1940's

Len,
Yes I do,
just so surprising to see two active 'Cockshutt Hill' threads.

Ann

Remember Head Master Mr.Humphries very well you did`nt want to be sent to his office if you could help it, Mr.Atyo was at Church Rd School, Yardley, and joined the RAF? i think, i remember him as a nasty little man, perhaps the war mellowed him, the Infants part of Church Rd was set up as an emergency hospital, this caused overcrowding in the Junior & Senior sections of the school that is why i ended up at Cockshut School i was 11yrs old and just about to go into the Seniors.

My lasting memory of Mr Ayto were the tufts of chest hair that used to rise up above his shirt collar. I found him a very fair man whose passion in life was mathematics, one of the few teachers who owned a car he would give us a lift to the local playing field. The science teacher was a character, experiments always going wrong with stains on the ceiling and other minor explosions.

I only remember Mr. Bott. And I remember him as a jovial man.

Ann

My sons Nigel and Simon Jenkins went to Cockshut Hill in 1977, the headmaster then was Mr Jolley, very nice man.

Rita

hi there, well i went to cockshuthill school from 1967-1970 and it was a segregated school with the girls one side and us boys the other. My head master was a small chap named Mr Jolly. The front of the school had it's own rugby pitch and most of the masters were rugby mad

I also went to Cockshut Hill, and was there from 1962 till 1966 .It was one half Girls and the other half Boys.The headmaster was Mr Jolley and deputy head was Mr Wickstead, (a giant of a man) All the teachers had canes or plimpsols or slippers and most of them were always looking for an excuse to use them!! The first day there we had a music lesson and the teacher (Mr Morgan obviously Welsh) stood in front of the whole class (39 of us) and he introduced us to his (friend Sylvester) which was a thin cane that he proceeded to bend above his head. He said ,"there only two things in life, one is music and the other is rugby. You will either be in the choir or the rugby team".With that comment he proceeded to the black board where the words of "Do you ken John Peel" were written and he said you all know this song (Which we did) so start singing!!!! Well we all started singing and he walked around and he listened to all our voices seperetely and he whacked 9 of us around the head with "Sylvester"and said,"You lot are Growlers and will never take part in any music lesson again so go and sit at the back of the music room and that will be where you will sit every music lesson." And we did for the 4 years I attended school. I love music and have lots of musical instruments I have collected over the years, but I cant hold a tune down and have no sense of rythm . I will never forget that Nasty man,,,I have told this story all over the world on my travels and got the same response from people of how wrong and selfish that man was!!!!! But my son has got good sense of rythm and is very musical and I encourage him all the time....But we had a brilliant English teacher Mr Jones and he bought out my potential for English Language and Literature which I was grateful for. Tho as I get older I am starting to make more spelling mistakes it must be a memory thing. Ha. Ha.....

Here are some of the teachers names I remember:--

Mr Barnard (metal-work)
Mr Bashford (geography)
Mr Mayhew,(wood-work)
Mr Robson (metal-work)
Mr Welford (T D )
Mr Jones (English)
Mr Williams (history)
Mr Chilton (French)
Mr Marsh (Boggy) (R I )
Mr Gibbs (?????)
Mr Webb (Art)
Mr Franklin (Science)
Mr Hardy (P E )
Mr Mason (PE )
Mr Morgan (Music)

Head master Mr Jolley
Deputy Head Mr Wicksteed..

I can list a few names of the lads in my class if anyone is interested....

I attended Cockshut Hill (somtimes) 1961/2 till 1965, I remember some of the teachers being really nice and helpfull, eg Mr Webb, Robson, Bashford, And some being a little to "firm" such as Mr Hardy ex army PT instructor, we had boxing lessons, and because l was quite tall l found myself having to fight him, l saw stars a few times, and as Roy said Mr Morgan, was very firm often using his friend "sylvester." And lastly my two brothers also at C/Hill were caught "scrumping apples" and Mr Jolly headmaster,called me into his office, and said your the eldest, you can give them six of the best, l did this as softly as l could, he said you would never make a headmaster, and took the stick of me and did it all over again. how things have changed in 50 years.

I went to Cockshut Hill School when it was "all girls" from 1959 to 1963 remembering the headmistress Marjorie Smith others teachers I remember, Mrs Barrett, Miss Richards, Mr Alllen.. any body else remember these??

Hi Shirls, l was at Cockshut Hill Girls from 1948 to 1952(or 53) l remember Marjorie Smith as headmistress. Only other teachers l can think of were miss Allen and miss Gough,and our music teacher Mrs Davies.l still remember some of the Welsh national anthem she taught us ! Margaret

Back