• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cockshut Hill School

Yes, I had the skirt lecture too! But it was Warick that was Yellow and Kenilworth that was blue. (Warwick seemed to win everything - they had Sharon Bush who seemed to be brilliant at anything sporty!) Mr Croucher was my first year form teacher - I think he was physics, not biology. Unfortunately, like you I was useless at science. They had that weird alphabet streaming system too - P and Q at the top, then R, then the middfe band, S, W, E and N and then A and B - known (in a very non PC age) as the 'remedial band'. (How all that has stayed in my head - who knows!) I think, from your year, I can even remember some names - Stephen Sale, Mark Hanson, Geoff Busby, Andy Pyke ... Ring any bells?
Karenanne

Strange wasn't it that streaming system. You just reminded me what the the top band letters were P Q and R Its been such a long time!!!
I started off in 1N which was a pretty notorious class at the time as we had what would have been classed then as few naughty boys!!! which by todays standards would probably be classed as complete angels! but after the first set of exams i thinks i came 5th overall in the class which just about qualified me to go up to 2R i think it was, would need to find my old school report to be sure. Non of those names ring any bells I'm afraid. I do remember us all trooping out to the grassy slope at the front of the school to have a professional picture taken of the whole of the lower school plus all the teachers and Mr Jolly the headmaster and that was taken April 1976 so did you just miss that or did they take any more pictures at a later date?

I went to Cockshut hill in the 40s then to Moseley School of art I am now 77yrs young lived on Maot Lane Yardley, John Crump

Hi oldbrit, I was at Cockshut Hill girls from1948 to 1952.There was a girl in my class from Moat Lane called Joan Crump. Could she have been your sister ? My name then was Margaret Wilson.

Yes she is STILL my sister, now Joan Ashton,lives in Pedmore near Stourbridge. I will contact her son Neil Ashton to tell her about you. Did you live in Yardley? I now live in Parker,Co USA

It should be remembered that there were two Cockshut Hill schools, one for girls and one for boys. I was at the girls school for about a year and a half before I went to boarding school. Headmistress was Miss Smith, Maths was Miss Allen (Uggh), Gym teacher Miss Stone, and there was another Smith, Miss Beryl Smith, who became Mrs Elliott.

Not good memories for me, I am afraid, especially of Miss Allen, she was a bully, but only when no-one was looking, which is typical of a bully of course.

That is quite a walk. Did you pass my home at 126 Moat Lane, across from Digbeth in the field had tennis courts in my day. #17?bus stopped in front of our house, John Crump

I did John,would walk home up Moat Lane,then Rowlands Rd on way home from school.It was quicker to go via Ollerton Rd and garretts green lane in the morning though! Margaret.

Margaret, My sister is interested in contacting you, Joan does not have a computer, You could ring her up. She lives in Pedmore, Joan Ashton. Regards John Crump

J ohn, I got to speak to your sister Joan last night.She could not remember me or any of my school friends so think she was not in my class after all,just my year. The only girl we both remembered also lived in Moat Lane. Margaret

I was there in 1943 and I did not see any soldiers, the army camp was alongside Garrets green lane on the Outmore road side from the Tech( that was) to the Meadway, Len Copsey was there at the same time.

Dave Edwards

So Was John Crump (ME) I do remember Aircraft baloons and guns on Church road in the park, John Crump OldBritParker, Co USA

Hi margret
i just like to say yes ; you have previuosly beaten to it as i was going to say to our good frinds on the forum
whom does not know that the name is still associated and used by the kids today
cockshut hill is named prison on the hill by kids today and as done for some years
even thou its taken over by an american guy as head teacher and now known as cockshut accadamy its doing very well and been turned around by this guy and disaplinned pupils to the holt and the main gates are locked at a certain time of the morning so kid is leaving in or out and do not open until lunch time and like wise at the end of the day
so yes its still known by todays kids as prison on the hill ; sadly;
happy new year to you , astojnian

My work friend went to Cockshut Hill, I would think she would have been there 1966-71 ish, her name waws Yvonne Pearson (i think). Will ask her what she remembers!
Sue

I left in July 1948 but I do not remember a George Wheeler. I say that because I was the School Captain for the last 18 months of my schooling and I got to know many of the lads,the reason the for the long time as Captain was they put the school leaving age up to 15 Many of these names you might remember, as you said Mr Humphries,Miss phillips(A devil for using the cane) Mr Turner,Mr Barnes Mr Welford Mr Moss,Mr Hancock Mr Ayto, Mr Welbank Mr Birch,Mr Gregory, Mr Kerswell and Mr Sheppard ( good at Cricket). Do any of them ring a bell.

Dave Edwards

My cousins Barbara and Brian Wadsworth went to Cockshut school in the late 40s and early 50s, anyone remember them?.

My wife was a teacher of domestic science at Cockshut Hill School in 1954-56. Any one remember Mrs. Joyce Bennett. Geff

Back