• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cockshut Hill School

I was at Cockshut Hill School 1963-1967 and could have wrote the above word for word. Happy days. I'm not too clever with History due to the fact that we had Mr Williams (wilf) (Gold finger) for that period and he was always sending me down to jobs news agents for fags.
Was there same time as you, what stream were you in?

Anybody remember Graham Read, Melvyn Durant and other members of 63-68 boys?
Yes.... also Phil Maddox, Clive Tolley, Mick Broadrick, Steve Thompson, Phil Burston, Dave Corbett.... and I remember someone who punched Boggie Marsh. Ha Ha. Good memories from those years.

Phil Gibbs was the teacher for those with learning difficulties and he was very good at it. People in those days called them remedials.

She was very strict but got results.

Mr. Fred Leeson was in science. Mr. Roy Leeson was maths at that time and Mr. Enderby was maths then. Mr. Bashford took geography.

Was she related to Malcolm?
I remember Mr Gibbs his classroom was 1st floor on the corner next to the art room.

Yes.... also Phil Maddox, Clive Tolley, Mick Broadrick, Steve Thompson, Phil Burston, Dave Corbett.... and I remember someone who punched Boggie Marsh. Ha Ha. Good memories from those years.
Remember all of those they were in my form. I had the honour of being the first in my form to be caned, 2 strokes on the hand from Mr Robson for talking while he was taking register, remember it bloody hurt lol

Further back in the history of the school: Parents Day 1939. Viv.22DD61A7-E754-4F45-8FB6-710A5931FE8A.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Hello all just discovered this site, I attended Cockshut Hill from 1975 to 1980, I was at Blakenhale Junior and Infant School before that. Some of my old classmates were John Lee, Stephen Sale, Dave Rollins, Malcolm Yates, Carl Phipps, Robin Shephard, Stuart Moore, Mark Chatwin, Rob Brain, Terry Drakeford, Paul Baker just to name a few.

I was at cockshuthill from 1960 until 1964.1st and 2nd year.teacher Mr pengelley.3rd year.Mr hyley.4th year Mr Gibbs. Pe teacher Mr hardy,he emigrated to Germany.Mr Mason took over.pupils.I remember.are Norman Davis.gray walker.George Hudson.Robert Fraser.

i also went to cockshut hill from 76 t0 81. when in the 3rd year our class teacher was monty ( mr golby).
He was a big broad chap with an odd ball sense of humour I used to have him as teacher of french.amonhst other recollections of him . He was very Brummy and not at all smart in appearance...few teachers presented well in those 70s days. Except women staff

My sons Nigel and Simon Jenkins went to Cockshut Hill in 1977, the headmaster then was Mr Jolley, very nice man.

Rita
I went there from until about '76 miss Callaghan was head mistress and I remember a few of the teachers There was a Miss Cook I think doing RE a Mr Bissel Geography a Mr Golby who did french with a Brummie accent and whose tie only ever got half way down his shirt ... Miss Parks was an excellent music teacher ...the boys PE teachers were under the miss apprehension that they were ina military training corps ..quite ridiculous unjust and I recall verbal bullying by Mr Reeves and Mr Hewison Overall a cold unfriendly and unsupportive place to do your best. Thank god my parents moved house and moved me out of the area. Some of my negative teacher experiences wouldn't happen today because teaching is far more professional and regulated by management and policy

hi i went to cockshuthill 1969- 74 and it was me who named him monty as monty python was popular and he was the spit of john cleese, he was a sound bloke, it used to tickle me when he would shout at someone but acualy look the other way but point at you, happy days.
Yes I was in his form I even performed on stage with a boy named Michael Crompton comedy song on a parents event ..coaches by Mr Golby. .

Does anyone remember one Teacher (edit to remove name) and how sadistic he was with his pump and cane, i remember an instant when he marked a child with a cane and that child's mother came storming into the class and gave him what for....
happy day in the life of a frightened child.
Mr Croucher science teacher was sadistic but he was nith the only one. They be sacked for that behaviour today because some teachers abuses their responsibility and the head mistress while I was there Mrs Callaghan was weak unprofessional and didn't really know what was going on ..My parents made a formal complaint regarding mistreatment so I speak from some personal experience This would be about 75 or 76

Hi I attended Cockshut between September 65 and January 70. Interested to see the teachers listed by Roy C earlier I can remember additional names like John Curtis ( English ) Higgot ( Mathematics ) a Young teacher by the name of Mr Jordan arrived in our second year and who taught French, Mr Whittaker who taught Mathematics and after school Judo. Does anyone remember Mr Pugh whose classroom was in the Huts?. Through the advent of modern day media a few of us from our year at school have started meeting up in Solihull and it’s great to catch up even though we are nearly 70 !!

A couple of memorable events that happened during my time at school was during our second year an assembly being called and us being addressed by Bert Jolley the headmaster informing us that a lad from the first year Naeem Butt, had tragically died in a swimming accident at Green Lane swimming baths the previous Friday evening, and does anyone remember Derek “ Sam “ Carpenter who excelled as a pupil in all sports and came back after teacher training only to tragically suffer a heart attack whilst taking a PE class in his early twenties.

Definitely remember Melvyn Durant, also knew his brother Gary, I bought a set of Drums off Clive Tolley in 1967 for £10, these lads were two years above us at school.The deputy head John Wickstead or “ Conga “ as he was known, actually turned out to be really approachable when he wasn’t in school. We had a field tip to Clun in Shropshire in our 5th year and he along with a couple of other Masters came along and wow what a change in a bloke!! Does anyone remember the school cottage at Betws-y-Coed in North Wales, remember going there in the first year with teachers Goss and Wright, the Kiwi who taught us how to ‘ tickle ‘ Trout.

Remember all of those they were in my form. I had the honour of being the first in my form to be caned, 2 strokes on the hand from Mr Robson for talking while he was taking register, remember it bloody hurt lol
Did you have a younger brother Keith who would’ve started at Cockshut in 1965 ?

Reading through Roy C’s experiences by September 65 came around the Gym teacher was Mr Roberts who was an ex military PTI. Mr Gibbs played the piano accompaniment in morning assemblies and his class room was at the end of the first floor corridor next to the Art room. I was never taught by him but I believe he may have been there for remedial assistance.Does anyone remember the flamboyant A-Bray Webb the art teacher??
He drove the tattiest Triumph TR2 in existence, it was literally falling to bits

Back