• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cock Inn Rubery

B

begenuine

Hi all, Does anyone know or is able to share information on the Cock pub at Rubery. I am currently running the pub and have researched the history back to 1811 when the building was first built but would love to hear any stories anyone may have or see any photographs. The web does not provide many results.

Cock Inn

Hello & Welcome begenuine :)

Kellys & Wrightsons directories will give you lots of info
over many years regarding Publicans/Years at this lovely old Pub.

Heres one example for you,
Kelly,s 1921 COCK INN, JIggins Lane, Bartley Green-Quinton
Publican a William Hy Jones.

Cheers & good luck , John Y :cool:

Cock Inn

I used to live round the corner in Cock Hill Lane. Although not old enough to drink at the time it was our best place for 'Penny for the Guy', We used to sit on the dry stone wall that used to be opposite the pub.

At that time, about 1964 to 1968, there was a very popular garden where families used to congregate during the summer evenings, although the car park was not very big. One thing, I cannot remember ever seing or hearing of any fights taking place, either in or outside the Cock Inn.
I have often wondered if the pub still exists. Next time I am in the area I may try and look in, I currently live in Manchester so I don't get down as often as I would like.

Found this is article in an old worcestershire news archives and found it really interesting.

December 22nd 1900

THE jury at Birmingham Assizes heard a plea from Tamworth woman Sarah Cockram, who was suing Rubery barman Albert Wileman for breach of promise. Wileman, who was employed at the Cock Inn, had refused to marry Miss Cockram who was described in court as a "lady of considerable attraction," after the arrangements had been made. The jury found him guilty and ordered him to pay hefty £50 damages.

begenuine

Its not that old, mid sixties at a guess. The cars parked outside might belong to one of your regulars who still uses the pub.

Phil

NorthfieldRuberyLaneCockInn.jpg

Mitchells and Butlers bought the pub in 1911 from the family who privately owned the pub at the time. The building was erected in 1811 and extended in the early 1960's, it was also painted cream in the 60's hiding the original red brick facade. The road used to run right oustide the door in the early 1900's. I know all this because i own the lease and have copies of the deeds!

begenuine

When I said "Its not that old" I was refering to the photo not the pub. I realise that is is older than the mid 60's because I had an occasional pint and a sandwich in there before that, but it was a bit out of the way in those days.

Phil

begenuine

When I said "Its not that old" I was refering to the photo not the pub. I realise that is is older than the mid 60's because I had an occasional pint and a sandwich in there before that, but it was a bit out of the way in those days.

Phil

Sorry - i see what you mean now. we have the same photo up in the pub and our older regulars say that it was taken around that time so you are correct in what you are saying.

I wonder - Did you know the pub well enough at the time to remember the landlord Arthur Grimes?

begenuine

No sorry, we used to pop in there occasionally if we were doing some work at Rubery Hill for a sandwich at dinner time as were not so keen on the hospital canteen.

Phil

Do you still live round here, if you dont you wouldnt recognise the area now, the hospitals are all but gone replaced by huge housing estates and leisure complexes

Just over a year ago I dropped in the Cock at Rubery for a quick one after getting a bus to Gannow, and before catching another on the old 71 tram route along the Bristol Road to Town. I had special memories of that tram route as I travelled on the last 71 outwards from Navigation Street to Rubery and back to Selly Oak Depot late on Saturday 5 July 1952, arriving around midnight. I then walked a short distance townwards up the Bristol Road until a newly renumbered night bus was due, to get me to town. Then a NS5 bus back towards Perry Common and home.
I have special memories of what was then a lovely walk from Rubery tram terminus, past Gannow Green, Gannow Farm, Dayhouse Bank (since obliterated by the M5), Bell Heath and down to the dramatically scenic valley between Farley Wood and Calcot Hill, then climbing up to reach Walton Hill, and round to Woodgate bus terminus, where we got a brand new Midland Red single decker with an OHA registration back to Bearwood. We were both teenagers, but that was real romance and I shall never forget it.
Incidentally, the Cock at Rubery should not be confused with the pub and road of the same names in Bartley Green.
Peter

My Grandfather was the licensee here for many years. His name was John Arthur Chrimes not Arthur Grimes as reffered to above (he was known as Arthur). My mother has fond memories of living there with the bowling green and not being surrounded by the housing estate that is there now. They had the RAF billeted there during the war operating barrage balloons from the nearby quarry to protect the factories at Longbridge.

Hello,
My great grandparents ran it until about 40 years ago. I will ask family and let you know what I find out. Surname was Chrimes. How exciting - only joined today.

hello SK1001 and welcome to the forum (I am a bit confused though as your join date says Nov 2011???)
You must be related to the person on post#15 who said that Arthur Chrimes is his Grandfather - is this a new relative for you?

Yes I think I am, and have messaged him. My father died when I was young so I don't know all relatives on his side. I know he used to talk fondly of his Grandad 'Arthur' and I gave my son the name as a middle name because of this. He often talked of the pub as did my grandmother who was brought up there. Ironically, she strongly disapproved of drink..... I hope to hear from him.

I did join in 2011 after clearing out my mother in law's house and I ended up with a stack of photos and correspondence belonging to her next door neighbour who had lived on High Street in Aston. I never quite got the hang of the forum and kept meaning to return.....and today I find myself off work poorly, so the job I have been meaning to do for ages has been done. I now can't put lap top down and have already had a repy with help to my Aston enquiry. I am very excited.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Sorry to hear you are off work poorly - but very glad you have returned to our brilliant forum. Now that you have the hang of it I am sure you will spend many hours on here! I am so pleased for you that you have found a new relative - I hope you hear from him soon.
I have heard of many people brought up in pubs that disapprove of drink - I think they see so many drunks it puts them off for life. I live fairly local to the Cock Inn and pass it a few times a week. In the late 80's I worked in an office nearby and we often used to go there for lunch. I can imagine when it was surrounded by fields it was a lovely place to live.

Hi Guys - I am here you know!! SK1001 I have not had any messages from you? Was your grandmother Josie or Jenny?

Back