• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cock Inn - Bartley Green

• Thread starter www.midlandspubs.co.uk
  • Start date
W

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Does anyone have any memories of this place - or does anyone drink in there today?

Cock Inn - Bartley Green [pic attached]

View attachment 22636

Located in Jiggins Lane, the Cock Inn was formerly part of a farm. The licensee in the mid-19th century was Benjamin Smith. Formerly a clerk in an iron works, the Derbyshire-born publican was also a farmer and collector of taxes. He kept the Cock Inn with his wife Ann Maria. The couple had a large family and employed Dudley-born Mary Hughes as a general servant.

John Gabb was the licensee of the Cock Inn by 1880. He spent his formative years living close to the Red Lion Inn at Grosmont in Monmouthshire. Recorded as a farmer in the 1881 census, he kept the Cock Inn with his Bridgnorth-born wife Ann. The couple later moved to the Bristol Road where John Gabb worked as a car proprietor.

Thomas Greenway was documented as a public house manager so may have been the first to be employed by Cheshire's brewery who added the pub to their tied estate. This explains how the Cock Inn became a Mitchell's and Butler's house. The company was acquired by the Cape Hill brewery in 1913.

Cheers
Kieron www.midlandspubs.co.uk

My mom lives round the corner from this pub. My brothers drank there regularly but don't know if they still do. I have been in there once or twice but don't know much about it, sorry.

there were prefabs facing and I would go to mates regularly and sit with a vimto in the car park, ther were police house's near too.
paul

The Cock is now reopened after a bit of a refurb, you can now enjoy the traditional British Friday night "A pint and a Fight". Two women the other night, so I hear, so no change there then!"

Haha Tom, there is always trouble in there, i always drank in there at one point, my nan lived in Pomeroy Rd and my father who is on Modbury was always propping up the bar, i have some mates who still drink there, and my younger brother worked there for a time, but i haven't been in there for years, and don't plan to lol

I drank in there when it was still and old country style pub, it was when my sister and her husband first moved into the Woodgate Valley estate when it was new. Whenever I visited myself and her husband would nick up there for a few jars. There was never any sign of trouble. In fact there was hardly ever a customer in there.

They left the country and about five or six years back when they were over here visiting we arranged to meet at the Cock Inn. I couldn't believe how much it had changed. It was now all one big bar and all the rooms as far as I could see had been knocked into one bar. It was full of youngsters and I think we were the oldest people in the room.

The end of the evening for me was when two lads started a fight and the security staff just stood and watched them until the lads got fed up of fighting and went back to whatever they were doing previously. We finished our drinks and left.

Phil

In the 60s on a Sunday night they used to have a trio on and the drummer always looked bored to death when he was playing.

I must say Margaret, I am sorry to hear that, my family was among the first Family's to move in post war, 1950 to Hasbury Road, it was Idillic then a real country village still, with a lot of road and house building whilst I was growing up, I went back to see things after my dad passed away, in 1999 I think I was devestated it really has changed and not for the best. of course each generation feels that things were better in "my young days", I remember my dad thinking the world would end because of the "teddy boys", but it did't.
paul

I used to go in there early 70s it was a really nice place, never any trouble then.

Hello Paul, my husband moved from Scotland about 1954 to live in Kitwell Lane, he left the area in 1968 when we got married and we moved back there in 1973 till 2002. Bartley Green is celebrating it's centenary in November.

I used to drink in the Cock in the sixties. I held my stag night there in 1966. My late father in law used to be the green keeper there in the late 50's through to the 70's. Last drink I had in there was 2005.

A thread about a public house without a photo, we can't have that can we? Here are two one the way it used to be and one as it is now.

Attachments

• Woodgate Jiggins Lane Cock.jpg
    Woodgate Jiggins Lane Cock.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Woodgate Jiggins Lane The Cock Inn.jpg
    Woodgate Jiggins Lane The Cock Inn.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 45
Back