• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cock Inn Coventry road Elmdon.

robert

master brummie
Ive just read a book about Elmdons history. On the last page there is a photo of this pub and underneath it states bottom of Old Damson Lane some 1/4 of a mile from Elmdon Hall. It crossed my mind that it may have been the Clock Inn as it does look simular, but the location is 1 1/2 miles further along the Coventry rd towards Birmingham. The photo is undated but there is a flat back petrol lorry in the back ground that looks 1920s ish. Does any one have any information about this pub. Robert.

The Clock is still there its a gastro pub now, I pass it on the way to work everyday, Damson Lane is also still there but one cannot enter off the Cov rd, but Elmdon Hall was demolished by the Airport because of the runway and I did hear that the Elmdon Church was moved a bit to accommodate the runway and there is talk not confirmed that the Clock may have to go when the extended runway is built with a bridge over the cov rd.

Would anyone be able to find a list of landlords for this particular PH from around the forties until closure?

thank you..

The Cock Inn was on the left hand side going toward Coventry. This 1937 map shows it on the opposite side of the road to Damson Lane and slightly to the left. it must have been demolished when Elmdon Airport was enlarged in the 50's.

Attachments

• Cock Inn-PNG.jpg
    Cock Inn-PNG.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 56
Nick

I would think your explanation just as likely as my guessed explanation, does anybody know just when it was demolished ?

It looks to me that it was on the site where the flashing navigation beacon was located although i don't think that's there any longer.

Looks to have been only a few hundred yards and on the same side as the Airport Hotel.

I seem to remember being told that the walls of the Cock Inn were adorned with horse racing prints and memorabilia and wondered whether

it was run by a former jockey. I suppose the electoral records might provide an answer.

Ive found another picture of the 'Cock Inn' on this one you can see where it was in relation to the buildings that are still there today.

Attachments

• Elmdon pub.jpg
    Elmdon pub.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 76
Ive found another picture of the 'Cock Inn' on this one you can see where it was in relation to the buildings that are still there today.
Another picture of the Cock Inn at Elmdon.
P1000227.JPG

This was sold at auction in 1919 for the princely sum of £1650. At the time of the auction it was owned by Major Wingfield Digby and the tenant was listed as Mitchells and Butlers Ltd.

Ive just read a book about Elmdons history. On the last page there is a photo of this pub and underneath it states bottom of Old Damson Lane some 1/4 of a mile from Elmdon Hall. It crossed my mind that it may have been the Clock Inn as it does look simular, but the location is 1 1/2 miles further along the Coventry rd towards Birmingham. The photo is undated but there is a flat back petrol lorry in the back ground that looks 1920s ish. Does any one have any information about this pub. Robert.
Did you ever find any more information about The Cock Inn - I’m really keen to know who ran it, worked or lived there around 1949-1952. I also know of one person who lived there around 1950ish.

We have one of those locally, one of the factories had an American visitor, a factory girl told him of a police chase through the town, "They chased him past the Hare and Hounds and the Church Inn and the Red Lion and caught him by the Cock."
:blush:

Birmingham Daily Gazette, Wednesday 26 November 1947: "THE OLD COCK INN TO-NIGHT. as often before, Time, gents, please. will be called In the latte bars of the Cock Inn. Elmdon. But there will be a different note in the voice of Landlord Bert Chatham—a note of sad finality; and friendly, ghostly sighs will rustle in the c,n-turies-old smoky rafters and in the roomy fireplaces. For to-night, after the door has closed on the last customer, it will open no more to give the cheery welcome that One of the oldest inns in Englund has had to offer its friends for hundreds of years. It is losing its licence to the new hotel at the airport. The Cock has been an inn since the 16th Century and it is reputed that there has been an ale house on the site since shortly after the signing of the Magna Carta. The Elindon blacksmith. the local farmer, and the villager have made the Cock their club and have sat in the genial warmth of its wide fireplace while glass and pewter has smiled in the cheery light of burning logs. But change must come and ... ...

Birmingham Daily Gazette, Friday 01 July 1949: "THE old Cock Inn at Elmdon, 16th century alehouse which boasts a legendary ghost and which was marked for demolition early this year. has been saved just in time. It is understood that an offer by Lees-Hill Aviation (Birmingham) Ltd. of Elmdon Airport ..."

Evening Despatch, Thursday 15 November 1951: "... in collision with a lorry on the Coventry Road at Elmdon today Two passengers wife Brenda and Mr Howard Bamford of the Cock Inn Elmdon were taken to Birmingham Accident Hospital and are on the danger list seriously ill” They were first treated by the mobile ..."

Back