• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coastal Tour

I am only posting this as some forum members asked for it. A moderator can delete it if deemed inappropriate. Moreover, although this is a cycle route, much of it can be accessed via other transport methods. I will advise of bite-size chunks for members to digest rather than having to wade through lots of material in one go.
It is the geographer within me that determined the logical place to embark on such a journey was the Royal Observatory at Greenwich. If you want a classic example of how Brits cannot be trusted with engineering projects then the first section will have you laughing at the ineptitude. After all, it is only a sun dial ....

Millennium Sundial.jpg

I myself have no objection to it Kieron, but am not sure Birmingham Transport is the correct place, though, I suppose if you were riding a Birmingham -built bike, then there might be an obtuse argument for that place

I am only posting this as some forum members asked for it. A moderator can delete it if deemed inappropriate. Moreover, although this is a cycle route, much of it can be accessed via other transport methods. I will advise of bite-size chunks for members to digest rather than having to wade through lots of material in one go.
It is the geographer within me that determined the logical place to embark on such a journey was the Royal Observatory at Greenwich. If you want a classic example of how Brits cannot be trusted with engineering projects then the first section will have you laughing at the ineptitude. After all, it is only a sun dial ....

View attachment 144884
ATT00098.jpgIs this what you are talking abiut?

Not sure Birmingham Transport is the correct place, though, I suppose if you were riding a Birmingham-built bike, then there might be an obtuse argument for that place.

One is hand-built in Cradley Heath but I take your point Mike. However, there will be plenty of material that will be linked to Birmingham which I will highlight. I just thought it would be hidden away in the 'bicycles' section where it will not wreck the integrity of the forum.

One has gone, the other has survived. Considering Birmingham's record of pulling down much of its past glory, it is amazing that the portico-styled station building was retained.

Euston Arch.jpg

The Euston Arch was built to complement the Birmingham terminus. There were talks that the arch would be rebuilt as part of the HS2 works. Anyway, I mention this because the arch, designed by the architect Philip Hardwick, was built by William Cubitt. He was the man responsible for Cubitt Town, a planned development similar to that of John Brooke who was responsible for Ashted.
Cubitt Town is where we found ourselves after emerging from the Greenwich Foot Tunnel ....

A bit overdressed for pulling pints? This is the sort of album you could find in that box lurking under the shelves of a charity shop amid the James Last LPs ... believe me, she was no Shirley Bassey. But if you are curious about the pub in which she regularly appeared check out :

Kim-Cordell.jpg

Back