• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coalman

Modern houses rarely had cellars but some sort out bunker outdoors but I do recall going down a steep flight of stairs into the darkness that was was my grandmothers coal cellar.

I still have a coal delivery, by a coalman, and I have a specially constructed bunker for my coal fires.

Hi All,

I lived in Carlton Road, Small Heath. My saddest memory as a lad was one day down the bottom of the road I saw a coalcart with the horse lying on the ground still between the shafts. It had apparently collapsed and died. The coalman was sitting on the kerb crying. A lady, one oif our neighbours ,was trying to comfort him but I heard him keep saying "He was my best pal and I have lost him" I was later told that it had taken ages for the body to be removed and also the cart. I did not see this as my mother had called me in and said that it was not a sight for little boys to gawp over.

Old Boy

Last edited:
The photo is of the Coal office in Frances Road, Cotteridge where my dad worked for thirty years. It's now a private residence, and by chance I just found it on Rightmove, for sale... This place hold many memories for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 42
I remember our coalman and his lorry, but he never had a 'Stop Me and Buy One' sign like the one in this pic. The dividend from that Co Op looks good.
coal.jpg

Last edited:
When my Mom died in 1943 I went to live with my Nan in Queens Rd Aston (I was 13) and when the coalman arrived it was my job to count the number of sacks he emptied down the cellar grating (not very trusting our Nan !!!). Eric

Eric we had coal delivered when I was young. My mother would sit me in the veranda, to count the coal being put in the coalhouse, trouble is I was easily distracted and got into trouble for not doing my job!

I'm puzzled by what appears to be large 'boulders' on that lorry, or they could be large lumps of coal which the coalman had to break up to re-fill sacks after he had emptied them into customer's coal cellars. Maybe it was it was a way of carrying coal without lots of small bits moving around as the lorry travelled along the road ...

Hi Lyn - the sack at the back looks as if it could almost fall off especially when the lorry is going up some of the hills round there, and I suppose the sacks at the front could have leaned against the cab.
Phil

The linked pic in #144 has the following caption which maybe explains the 'Stop Me and Buy One' sign and also the decorative small curtains in the cab.
Co-op coal wagon in front of Co-op garages on Meadow Street. Decorated for Thornsett Carnival 1927 - The driver was Clifford Wild who in 1984 lived at 108 Buxton Road. the vehicle was a Dennis motor wagon.

and the Co-op would have supported a carnival attended by potential customers.

My coalman has a slightly smaller lorry and no fairisle pullover but otherwise similar in appearance. He will be here Friday.

I don't have a lorry but I do have a fairisles jumper. It was knitted by my mother over 60 years ago and I have seldom worn it as the long sleeves are a wee bit short and I live in a pretty temperate climate. I can't bring myself to part with it but fear the worse for it when I depart etc.
Cheers Tim
c

Liked the fire Lyn when it really got going. But can do without the lighting, smoking, drawing and emptying of ashes bit! Used to love looking into a glowing fire and making up stories and pictures in my head. Viv.

Funny to think that lots of people had the coal store in the house. Our first council house had one in the Kitchen

Liked the fire Lyn when it really got going. But can do without the lighting, smoking, drawing and emptying of ashes bit! Used to love looking into a glowing fire and making up stories and pictures in my head. Viv.

funnily enough viv those chores never bothered me back then and would happily do it now as i did when i lived in the north of scotland during the 80s used to cook the trout/salmon we caught in the ash pan ( wrapped in foil of course with bit of seasoning :)) .. it was just part of life when we were kids and we thought nothing of it ... the rewards of having baked spuds cooked in the ash pan was well worth it (no foil just chuck em in)...different taste altogether and lovely and crispy on the outside.. oh and must not forget making toast either...happy days :):):)

Last edited:
Ah, Frothy, have set the newspaper on fire occasionally when it got too hot as well! :)

Had a minor chimney fire as well on one occasion. Wouldn't miss the huge bills for heating oil we get here either!

Maurice

Back