• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Coalman

I remember going and collecting Coke from somewhere near Lawrence st
I suppose it was a gas works ?? I don't think it was Edwards st
does anyone know what street I might have got coke from

From your Reply Oldmohawk it appears that it was Windsor Street
were we collected the Coke in our home made box on wheels
but I don't remember any queue like the one in the photo
Thanks

hi ya, does anyone remember Higgins coal merchants they had an office in grt Lister st?and worked out of Rupert st / avenue rd depot?
another name that may be tied with them is a family call preedy?
in the stechford area we had a coalman they were based at a yard by the bulls head pub,called fenners we lived in the south yardley area after we moved due to to i hate the words slum clearance.
happy days regards dereklcg.
Hi, yes I know about the Higgins, and preedy, do you want to know more?

But could also make people vulnerable if there was a real emergency. Putting all your eggs in one basket if some other country has a control of certain energy resources could be a bad move.

Maurice :cool:

My mom would insist on the coalman leaving the empty bags for her to count by the coal house. She would also tell the coalman up front, not to bring any slack.

My mom would insist on the coalman leaving the empty bags for her to count by the coal house. She would also tell the coalman up front, not to bring any slack.
talking about slack we must have had some because dad would go down the cellar and make up slack bricks

lyn

I think we were happy to get slack in the coal. Not sure why but thought it had something to do with it catching light more easily. Although I can only remember lighting slack was a very smoky process. Viv.

after the coal man had put the coal in the celler through the grate in the entry,dad checked it in case the bags were half full of slack and not all coal, he would then chain up,the grating to stop burglars getting in robbing the gas meter and getting in the house via the celler.

Last edited:
i fetched coal from the gassworks for people pushing a homemade cart up and down nechells place hill for a few shillings. i suppose you could have called me a coalboy :grinning:

I remember going up Liverpool Street round past the bus station to the gasworks with Dad to get coke for the back room fire. We had a hatch in the pavement outside the house that we lifted to dump the coke into the cellar below.
Andrew.

Saturday morning job "up the cut" shovel the coal from the barge to the little truck with steel wheels for the buyer, wheel it to their home and tip it into the cellar then take the truck back and keep the 3d deposit they paid!! I wonder if there are any jobs still?

Apparently there was a coal shortage in 1954. Why was that ? I expect coalmen could only deliver a quota of coal during the shortage.

This is supposed to be of a Birmingham coal queue. Mostly women and children in the queue. Looks quite possible that it’s a Brum street. Someone may recognise it. Must have had to get there early if the yard closed at 10.00 (am ?) Viv.

E41CC7F9-87B2-4B96-92F3-7998C9B2319C.jpeg

Apparently there was a coal shortage in 1954. Why was that ? I expect coalmen could only deliver a quota of coal during the shortage.

This is supposed to be of a Birmingham coal queue. Mostly women and children in the queue. Looks quite possible that it’s a Brum street. Someone may recognise it. Must have had to get there early if the yard closed at 10.00 (am ?) Viv.

View attachment 169243 a Coal Merchants in Green Lane smallheath pete thinks

I remember going up Liverpool Street round past the bus station to the gasworks with Dad to get coke for the back room fire. We had a hatch in the pavement outside the house that we lifted to dump the coke into the cellar below.
Andrew.
Does anyone remember a coal man / yard on the corner of Templefield St Small Heath the name was Job (Jobe)

Back