• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

coal dealer

There was the coalman who would come round with his lorry loaded up with bags of coal for people's houses.He'd usually put the coal in the coal place.He would have collected the coal from the merchants.Sometimes the coal merchants could be found in railway goods yards.
Round where I live in rural Staffordshire there are still coalmen delivering coal!

In Kellys there is a distinction between coal dealer and coal merchant, in that these are separate listings. As far as i can see a coal dealer was usually smaller and was supplied by a coal merchant. Coal merchants were usually larger and could deliver, but mainly transported the coal around the country and supplied the smaller merchants. Has anyone any comments on this ?
mike

Hi my gggrandfather William Barlow was a Coal Dealer his address was The Coal Yard in Leek St on a 1841 birth certificate he down as coal booking clerk but in 1851 census as a Coal Dealer cheers Tom

In Kellys there is a distinction between coal dealer and coal merchant, in that these are separate listings. As far as i can see a coal dealer was usually smaller and was supplied by a coal merchant. Coal merchants were usually larger and could deliver, but mainly transported the coal around the country and supplied the smaller merchants. Has anyone any comments on this ?
mike
I came upon several advertising images for Caswell and Bowden Ltd., described as Coal Brokers,.
caswell and bowden.jpg caswell and bowden. 2jpg.jpg caswell and bowden 3.jpg caswell and bowden 4.jpg guy fawkes.jpg

I can make out two addresses from the images, one in Cannon Street and another in New Street. Is anything known about this company. I've searched the forum with no success.

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpg
    IMG_2439.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 4
I came upon several advertising images for Caswell and Bowden Ltd., described as Coal Brokers,.
View attachment 170618 View attachment 170619 View attachment 170620 View attachment 170621 View attachment 170622

I can make out two addresses from the images, one in Cannon Street and another in New Street. Is anything known about this company. I've searched the forum with no success.
Newton chambers entrance is where the large arch is, towards the end of Cannon St. ( Looks like the same building. It miust have just been the registered office of the firm there ,as they are listed as one of 13 offices on the first floor in 1921. This moved to Edmund st in WW2.

The main place of business was Lodge Road and Soho canal wharf. the business started in the mid 1880s , just as a coal merchant, at various sites. They later also dealt in timber. The firm survived till the 1950s

Back