• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coachmakers' Arms, 50 Vere Street

Hazel Phillips

Brummie babby
I am trying to find out what happened at this address. My great grandfather was described as a 'beer retailer' at this address in the 1881 census. By 1911 the address had this name (although he had moved elsewhere). I am curious to know whether it was a pub for some decades or not. Other pub lists before that time don't mention it.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Hazel

Hi Hazel. I'm sure someone on the Forum will be able to offer a bit more info, so keep looking in. Thanks for your question. Viv.

Last edited:
The earliest mention I can find is 1861 (below), when the freehold was being sold. Vere St is not mentioned in the 1850 Post Offcie directory and in the 1855 version there is no pub or beer retailer listed, so the pub is likely to have existed from the 1850s

Attachments

• Aris Birm Gazette 25.5.1861.jpg
    Aris Birm Gazette 25.5.1861.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back