• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coaching Inns in the 19th century

I gather the stagecoach left from the Lion Hotel in Shrewsbury. Its main journey presumably would be along Watling Street - the A5.
There were probably many coaching inns in Birmingham, most are mentioned in one of the many thread here.
RR, that is a really great article! So much interesting history about the mail service!

Sensible move in the current climate Harlechjoe. Meanwhile if we can be of any more help, you know where we are. Viv.

This thread is part of the Birmingham History section and concerns a proposal to follow a historic route, but If you wish to discuss bicycles generally, could you please do so in the general discussion section .

A few months ago forum members were extremely generous with the supply of information to aid my understanding of the route followed by a stagecoach service called the Wonder that operated between Shrewsbury and London on a daily basis. Both Charles Darwin and Charles Dickens were amongst its passengers.

My intentions to cycle along the route of the Wonder were postponed due to the limitations on travel and accommodation brought on by the Coronavirus.

I have completed a 2 day cycle ride that follows the stagecoach route from Harlech to Shrewsbury which was one of several feeder routes from Wales into Shrewsbury, where passengers could board the Wonder service to London. Charles Darwin used the route from Barmouth immediately before his departure to London.

So this is the link to Part 1of my story and will send part 2 for forum members to later in the year: www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com

hi harlechjoe sounds fascinating but when i click on your link nothing comes up...could be a problem my end but not sure

lyn

joe its still saying my connection is not private...as said i wonder if its a problem my end....

lyn

I think it is not https, and this means that on some browsers you cannot see it. I get message that site is not secure, but by going to advanced and then clicking on bottom of the page I can see it. It is quite interesting. Possibly one of the techies on the forum can explain better

I think it is not https, and this means that on some browsers you cannot see it. I get message that site is not secure, but by going to advanced and then clicking on bottom of the page I can see it. It is quite interesting. Possibly one of the techies on the forum can explain better
Thank you Mike & thank you Joe! Great article........

A few months ago forum members were extremely generous with the supply of information to aid my understanding of the route followed by a stagecoach service called the Wonder that operated between Shrewsbury and London on a daily basis. Both Charles Darwin and Charles Dickens were amongst its passengers.

My intentions to cycle along the route of the Wonder were postponed due to the limitations on travel and accommodation brought on by the Coronavirus.

I have completed a 2 day cycle ride that follows the stagecoach route from Harlech to Shrewsbury which was one of several feeder routes from Wales into Shrewsbury, where passengers could board the Wonder service to London. Charles Darwin used the route from Barmouth immediately before his departure to London.

So this is the link to Part 1of my story and will send part 2 for forum members to later in the year: www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com
A stagecoach named The Wonder journeyed from Shrewsbury to London in a day. Famous passengers included Charles Darwin and Charles Dickens.
I am planning a cycle ride to retrace the route and have obtained a stagecoach timetable that says The Wonder would stop in Birmingham and obtain fresh horses before riding to its next staging post in Coventry.
Do any members of this forum know the name of the Birmingham coaching Inn that this stagecoach may have used. I am assuming the Inn would be in the city centre.
Your advice will be welcomed. Thank you - Joe

I am please to inform forum members that I have completed the bicycle ride that retraces a 19h century coaching route that went through the City Of Birmingham following the Road to Holyhead. As Charles Dickens was a regular traveller his journeys provided material for writings and paint a picture of coaching days and coaching life. My story contains quotes from his work. On the last occasion I attempted to post a link to my story on the forum page, it didn't work. So to access my cycling blog you may have to exit the forum and do an internet search for harlechjoe.wordpress.com and hope you enjoy reading what you find. May I thank forum members for your advice an interest in this historic route. Stay safe, Joe

A fascinating insight into the route Harlechjoe. Thank you.

I hadn’t realised how much organisation was involved with the coaches in terms of the volume of horses needed, the coaching inn arrangements, timings etc. I knew they changed the horses but didn’t realise how frequently this was done. It must have been a major exercise to stable and prepare the horses when several coaches were due. Makes me wonder how the Hen and Chickens in New Street were able to provide that service.

I couldn’t help but think about the effect on people travelling the coach for the first time; a mixture of fear, excitement, anticipation and uncomfortableness for many, many miles !

And an amazing personal achievement for you too, more so during the pandemic.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Viv.

Back