• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coaching Inns in the 19th century

In his cycle ride along the coaching route to Holyhead, Harlech Joe headed for Meriden and the Bull's Head. His blog includes the same picture as Dennis was puzzled about and posted on the Thread for the Bull's Head.

A most enjoyable read and an excellent journey/quest. There were many highlights but perhaps your most fortuitous was the 'final' visit to the Inn at Mona. Tremendous stuff.
I'm so glad everyone enjoyed it and hope the story of my journey adds to the breadth of information held by Birmingham History forum.

My next cycling adventure is to understand, cycle along and tell the story of the 5 sea ports that link Wales with Holyhead - needless to say my crossing of the Irish sea will be by ferry !

With thanks and best wishes,
Joe

Members following this thread may be interested to know that harlechjoe has completed the journey which passed through Birmingham by telling the story of the final stretch to Holyhead, a road much used for the carriage of post, goods and politicians/officials on their way to Dublin in the days of a united Ireland.

It is called "Sound of Hurry" and is the final story in the series. The link remains as posted already: www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com

Chris

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed it and hope the story of my journey adds to the breadth of information held by Birmingham History forum.

My next cycling adventure is to understand, cycle along and tell the story of the 5 sea ports that link Wales with Holyhead - needless to say my crossing of the Irish sea will be by ferry !

With thanks and best wishes,
Joe
I completed my cycling journey that tells the story of the 5 sea ports that link Ireland with Wales that includes Holyhead and the setting off point / destination of parliamentary mail ( and Parliamentarians ) that my previous adventures follwed through Birmingham as they travelled between London / Westminster and Ireland/ Dublin Castle during the 'Union Years' . Called the Celtic Cycling Circle it is posted on www.harlechjoe.wordpress.com. I followed the East Coast of Ireland and witnessed sunrise, then the West Coast of Wales to savour Sunset. My wife says the story is an excellent remedy for insomnia.

Yesterdays media has revealed 'Historic England' recently added a stagecoach carriage wash in Hertfordshire to the National Heritage List. The purpose of a carriage wash was to clean debris from stagecoach wheels and remove dust/dirt off the identification plate; clean wheels turned with greater ease and soaking the wheels in water swelled them to prevent the wooden shrinking from the metal rims. Revealing the identification plates ensured any law breaking coach could be identified. I wondered if members know the location of a carriage wash within the centre Birmingham ?

Back