• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Co-operative Hall - Pershore Road South

Abbypoppy

Hi.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the co-operative hall on Pershore Road South, Kings Norton. Wondering what it was used for/any interesting history?
Thanks!237FF2D3-BE89-423F-8339-7994F3EB3BAB.jpegE1D8AF71-5E5C-4A80-8A88-9618B125CD1D.jpeg

Pershore Road suggests it was a TASCOS (Ten Acres & Stirchley Co-Op Society) building. Many Co-Ops had halls, it was there than Co-Op meetings took place and of course the place was also hired to others.
There are quite a few threads dealing with TASCOS, unfortunately they have got clouded a little by the inclusion of Birmingham Co-Op Society photos and other non Co-Op dairies. Despite all the longevity claimed by many supermarkets these days the Co-Operative movement has a quite long history dating back to 1844 - The Rochdale Pioneers.

That famous photographer Ell Brown took similar photos of Co-operative Hall on Flickr in 2016 but no reply to what the original building was used for.

Apparently the building was opened as a parade of shops (probably different Tasco departments) on 18th April 1936 by the Tasco president Councillor Thomas Hackett. The hall above would have been used for co-op activities . They had youth and educational groups who would probably have used it

My daughter and her friend went there every week to attend a Woodcraft Folk meeting. This would be around 1980 to 1982.

That's a great photo! In the late 60's and early 70's I worked for Triplex Safety Glass, just up the road from the Co-Op. I'm sure I went to a colleague's wedding-reception in the Co-Op Hall, but it was so long ago I could well be mistaken. I always thought that the Pershore Road South down from Cotteridge was a very nice part of the world....but coming from Witton I would, wouldn't I?

G

That's a great photo! In the late 60's and early 70's I worked for Triplex Safety Glass, just up the road from the Co-Op. I'm sure I went to a colleague's wedding-reception in the Co-Op Hall, but it was so long ago I could well be mistaken. I always thought that the Pershore Road South down from Cotteridge was a very nice part of the world....but coming from Witton I would, wouldn't I?

G
I remember that hall it was part of my growing up in late 50's. It was used for private functions and it was a youth club on thursday nights. Some saturday nights a teenage dance was held there and one of the groups that played there was the unknown Rockinberries, they were very young lads back then and they all lived local (West Heath area) and they were very good and a big attraction even at that age. Happy days.

Back