• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Co.Op.number.

When I was young I remember seeing a number scratched into a brick in the wall right next to our back door after reading this thread I know now it was our co OP number as our milkman always came up our alley to the back door to get paid.he also had the famous brown leather bag with all his money in over his shoulder.we also had the provident lady come to the front of our house to get paid ,she was a German lady and if we seen her coming we had to tell our mum because sometimes when our mum had no money we had to tell the provident lady our mum was not in even though she was behind our door !!!!!!!!!!!
When this happened in our house we spoke this Chinese word "Shintin" (She isn't in !) :D

When I was young I remember seeing a number scratched into a brick in the wall right next to our back door after reading this thread I know now it was our co OP number as our milkman always came up our alley to the back door to get paid.he also had the famous brown leather bag with all his money in over his shoulder.we also had the provident lady come to the front of our house to get paid ,she was a German lady and if we seen her coming we had to tell our mum because sometimes when our mum had no money we had to tell the provident lady our mum was not in even though she was behind our door !!!!!!!!!!!
Too funny I am sure many others can tell the same story from the milk man to the rent man and others.

In my mom's shop there were plenty of people that went on the door come Wednesday if the kids were going to eat, the door lead into the shop and was by the bacon slicer and stayed open during the day and mom would run a tab on the back of the door.

I think that maybe quite a few people who remember their mother's Co-op number use it for their passwords as I do.

Anthia I know this is off topic but we do care about our members on this forum. Please do be extra careful with passwords like that. Hackers use a technique called brute force for passwords like yours. They just run through the combinations till they crack it. They use computer graphics cards to do this, three in a computer at a time. each one can do 44 billion permutations a second, so you password would be cracked in less than a millionth of a second.

PM me and Ill explain how to do a very strong password that's easy to remember

hi sugar your post takes me back and i dare say other members...our mom would often send us to the door to say to the provvy man "mom said she will double up next week" :D

lyn

Anthia I know this is off topic but we do care about our members on this forum. Please do be extra careful with passwords like that. Hackers use a technique called brute force for passwords like yours. They just run through the combinations till they crack it. They use computer graphics cards to do this, three in a computer at a time. each one can do 44 billion permutations a second, so you password would be cracked in less than a millionth of a second.

PM me and Ill explain how to do a very strong password that's easy to remember
Sound advice.
I also saw a mention of one password for everything. Not a good idea really. If they get it they have everything. I never 'save; passwords for sensitive sites such as banks, credit card and other 'money' web sites.

Mods; Sorry for off topic, but this is important and as Morturn says we should care for our other Members where we can.

Have only ever used one pass word and that were I live and don't think anyone can think of that

Unfortunately hackers also use a technique called a dictionary attack. Its basically a brute force attack that uses key or passphrase by trying hundreds or sometimes millions of likely possibilities, such as words in a dictionary. These do take longer to crack, around two millionths of a second.

Remember that the teams in Bletchley Park were cracking 15 billion combination codes within a couple of hours in the 1940’s. Technology has move on slightly since then.

These must have replaced the dividend - a 1970s stamp saver book. Viv.
View attachment 119321
The stamp scheme was still operating in the early 80s. My Mom was working for Sheldon Co-op at the time. When my grandad died I went with her to the Co-op Funeral directors in Ashtead Row to make arrangements and cringed when she asked the undertaker, at such a sensitive time, if she would get her stamps? - "of course he replied". My mom was quite innocent, she just said things without thinking! Like the time I told her that I had been to a funeral and she replied, "was it any one you knew" lol

Back