• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Co-op horse

I was 3 years old living in Park Road Bearwood. We had a horse drawn milk cart and the horse was my friend. He was called Balladin. Everyday I would ask my mom for a crust of bread and I would sit outside on the kerb stone, feet in the gutter waiting for him. I could hear him clip clopping up St Mary's road and I thought I would burst with excitement. Balladin was very big and I was very small but he would always stop right next to me. I would reach up as high as I could and he would bow hus head and gently take the bread from my hand. I wonder if there is a picture anywhere of Balladin and I think the milkman was Ken

Keith Berry took this photo of a horse pulling a Birmingham Co-Operative Dairies'milk cart in Freer Road, Aston in late 1950s
46Milkhorse.jpg
It is in Album 6 in a forum post which can be viewed with click on link below

Last edited:
I was 3 years old living in Park Road Bearwood. We had a horse drawn milk cart and the horse was my friend. He was called Balladin. Everyday I would ask my mom for a crust of bread and I would sit outside on the kerb stone, feet in the gutter waiting for him. I could hear him clip clopping up St Mary's road and I thought I would burst with excitement. Balladin was very big and I was very small but he would always stop right next to me. I would reach up as high as I could and he would bow hus head and gently take the bread from my hand. I wonder if there is a picture anywhere of Balladin and I think the milkman was Ken
What a wonderful memory Ken. I remember the horse drawn milk cart along our road in Kingstanding. Your post so reminded me of the daunting size of the horse and the cart it pulled. In reality it probably wasn’t as big as I imagined, but to me as a 4 year old it was like a giant. Wouldn’t have been brave enough to feed it though, like you did.

And I remember the horse droppings of course. Didn’t stay on the road for long as there was always someone ready with the coal shovel wanting the manure for their garden. Viv.

Mom's Co Op number 200904 and I remember the milkman and breadman gave out a small ticket slip with the number written on when paid but I can't remember why .. :)

There is another number 3150438 which stays in my memory but it's in another thread ...
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/national-service.513/post-426633
Maybe for the customer to reconcile with the dividend that was later issued and recorded in the customer's book. Also to keep an eye on the milkman and the cash?

Mom's Co Op number 200904 and I remember the milkman and breadman gave out a small ticket slip with the number written on when paid but I can't remember why .. :)
Maybe for the customer to reconcile with the dividend that was later issued and recorded in the customer's book. Also to keep an eye on the milkman and the cash?
The customer got the top copy and the carbon copy went to the dairy. The amounts spent were then entered on the customers Co-op account. Eventually divi was awarded.
171590 and Nan's was 169698.

The customer got the top copy and the carbon copy went to the dairy. The amounts spent were then entered on the customers Co-op account. Eventually divi was awarded.
171590 and Nan's was 169698.
279934 to pay the milkman when Mum and Dad were out at work.

The ticket was the top copy had your co op number & how much was your bill,the carbon copy under was sent to head office and this was how your divi was worked out & paid out twice a year

Mom's divi number 325491. Always had co-op milk right up until I married and even invited our milkman Eddie to our evening reception.

141670 and 36150. I was a service engineer for Hugin cash registers, mainly installed in Coop shops all over the UK in the 50s 60s 70s.

Attachments

• Ka40_45.jpg
    Ka40_45.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2
Further to my previous message. As a 'Hugin' cash register Service Engineer we were based in the CWS cycle factory Kings Road Haymills, later at the CWS factory in Belmont Row, which was unused at the time.

I remember the lovely smell when they reached in the back of the wagon to bring the bread toward them with a pole with a nail through it, great days....no crappy wet sliced bread in those days, wet bread that goes mouldy quickly.

In the early 1950s i remember the co-op breadman driving a two wheeled chariot shaped vehicle pulled by a single horse.
It was painted with the wheatsheaf logo (not the horse),the breadman jumped off and on the back of the chariot with a basket full of loaves and cobs then take it to your door.The horse kept walking until he knew where to stop.The breadman usually fed the horse oats at certain stops.
The breadman and the horse were retired together.
This was the Tyseley area.
Stephen.

Back