• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Co-op high st bham

Hi It was Doug ClucasThe sports Dept was Myself Don Mcindoe and Geof Brown ( who married a young girl out of the dry goods office )when Basil Bourne and Mrs Swift were in charge.During this period Eric Preece moved to the basement and Tim Buxton became supervisor ground floor, then later was a carpet measurer...Mr B H Davenpoert and Fred Ickringhill held office as did Mrs Hood Pictures. Shelie Turten toys .There was a man on the gardening ex thebakery dept Tom Jones,and a man on the tools who was a bit of a whizz kid ???? we all remember the Hoover rep Mr Searle ( walter ) and was it Horrice lee on furniture,,.. other will come to mind I'me sure,, And I do have a few photos of the sports section ....

Yes I remember him I sold him a squash racket.......He and his wife were the face of the coop in the adverts at the time....

yes I remenber him I sold hima squash racket... He and his wife were the face of the coop at the time in all the adverts

Another Harrold on the deck was H Summers ( Pop Summers ) Always answered the phone "" Hello the Deck /Dispatch "" Everyone else said Goods Received....Anyone know why Harrold Cooper was dismissed ?? allegedly.in 1977/78 ??

img012.jpg

I have no date with this picture but just looking at it conjoures up some great memories.

I popped into the personnel department one day because i had just missed the 50 bus to see what jobs they had...ended up working for the co-op for about 15 years in different jobs. I had the choice of two shops to work at, Acocks Green or Strichley (formerly TASCO)...i picked Stirchley because it was near home. I had to go for a couple of days training and a medical at King Edward House in New St where we were given our uniforms. I remember doing a test when we arrived along the lines of, if you bought a four pairs of socks for a pound and a cabbage for six pence, how much change would you get for five pounds...HAHA.
A few of the people named in previous comments moved to Stirchley when Central closed...they moved the offices there. I remember Graham Mace, Frank White (proper nice chap) were a couple.

I was bassed at the Big top site, on the ground floor , we had no dealing with that area, I knew a few people from Great Brook Steet ,,, , being some of the carpet fitters.. ((( Eddie Allport ,,, Tim Buxton ...and a Mr Taylor accounts who also looked after the Football team... his was a nice man, had no bad word for anyone..... I remenber him in his last job in the Dry goods office ,working with Mark Thomas and Mrs Swift ...(((( Mark Thomas )) moved to Lichfield...when Central closed . Don

Hi co-op john,
your talking about what we at the store called "THE WORKS DEPARTMENT" and although I did have to go there on one or two occasions I am afraid it was not enough times for me to remember any names, I can remember the very tall dark haired electrician who wired up my office in the basement when it was refurbished his name was Charles I think.

Bruce was there to launch Dividend Stamps according to Ned Williams book, a photo of him and the co-op girls at central is printed in "Birmingham Shops" by Alton Douglas.

The store closed on 1 February 1985 according to David Harvey in the book "Birmingham Buses At Work" There are some colour photos including the rear of the store from 1984 on the Birmingham Moor Street Derelict Stations Web site.

In the late 1960's I worked in the cosmetics department on the general counter on the ground floor. I remember Pat Fall and Mollie Longmore, we used to sell stuff like Nivea cream and Oil of Ulay etc. There were specific counters for Max Factor, Coty, Revlon and Yardley who had beauty consultants who worked for those specific companies, we wore pink or blue gingham overalls and each sales girl had a wooden drawer with a mortice lock for a till, every sale was written down in the ticket book and we had to write the customer's co-op number so they got their dividend, we had to add everything up in our heads as I don't think calculators were invented then never mind computerised tills that are in the shops nowadays.

Great memories Patricia. I remember the Co Op then, you jolted my memory about the uniform. I have a book somewhere on the Co Op will sort it out and see what photo's there are.

Hi, I worked in the basement on the tool section in the early 1960`s. Ted Turner was in charge, Mr. Buxton Supervisor with Mr. Fackerall and Mr. Archer ran the floor.
DOES ANYONE HAVE PHOTOS OR MEMORIES DURING THAT TIME.

I would like to see some from the early 80,s if anyone has any, I am sure the food hall manager at the time was a guy called Pete...cant remember his surname, does anyone know it. If I remember rightly the staff canteen was on the top floor...maybe 6th floor....remember it well. The deli manager in 1982 was a guy called Dexter if my memory serves me well...
His name was Pete Whitmore

Back