• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Co-op high st bham

gingerjon

master brummie
there was a building called Grand Louvre Buildings which housed many other business's from Kelly's 1940

John Houghton said:
there was a building called Grand Louvre Buildings which housed many other business's from Kelly's 1940
Thanks John. Is the Co-op drapears just one of many business' in the Grand Louvre in 1940?

Hi ,,,has anyone got any pics of the co-op in the High st City centre...I worked there early in the 80,s and it was a lovely old building....shame it had to go.....it had the old style lifts with a concertina inner door and the sliding solid doors......and a lift attendant....happy days..

Hi there should be a book in the library entitled THE CO-OP IN BIRMINGHAM AND THE BLACK COUNTRY by Ned Williams which has a lot of photo's and testimonials from former employees, very interesting book. I worked at High Street from 1965 untill 1979 in the basement of the Big Top Site
Regards Chris B

My cousin, Barry Brain, was a lift attendant at the Co-Op for many years. He had slicked back black hair and wore 'owl glasses' and the Co-Op provided him with a very smart uniform. This was the only job he ever did as far as I know, because he was disabled.
Does anyone remember him? I lost touch with him many years ago.

Hi, I worked at the Co-op at the 'big top' site in the High St in town - 1970 - 1971 and remember lots from there from the different departments and some of the things that went on! Happy to share memories with anyone.

My cousin, Barry Brain, was a lift attendant at the Co-Op for many years. He had slicked back black hair and wore 'owl glasses' and the Co-Op provided him with a very smart uniform. This was the only job he ever did as far as I know, because he was disabled.
Does anyone remember him? I lost touch with him many years ago.

I worked with a Brain who thick Black glasses at BCT Tyburn Road and was a good cricketer. 1958/60

A Slide Show including a talk about -
The Birmingham Co-op back in time
will be on in Birmingham City Centre on
Wednesday 20th May 2009. Time 7.30pm.

Details in Carl Chinn's April Brummagem Magazine.

Bo

Hi, I too am looking for pics of the high st coop - big top site - pref in the 70's but any are good - esp if anyone has interiors.

I worked there in early 70's and remember lots of people and events.

Thanks in advance

Frank

Hi Frankf,
Here are some pics' of the Big Top Site Basement in the Hardware and Gardening Dept where I was the Gardening Buyer and the basement Supervisor. In the background of pic' 1 & 3 you can just see the subway entrance leading to the Restaurant and the old building across the the other side of High street. These photos were taken when I was leaving in about February 1979. The person in the grey/blue suit was Mr Eric Preece the Hardware Officer, he had worked for the
Co-op for getting on for 40 years
Regards Chris B

Last edited:
Hello Chris,

An old pal of mine, Terry Andrews used to work at Birmingham Co-op.

Did you ever meet him?

regards Neville..

High Chris, many thanks for those pics - excellent! I remember the tunnel to the other side of the road too. Wasn't there an electrical dept in the basement also? near the entrance to the tunnel?

Also, Neville - I remember Terry Andrews - didn't he work in the basement somewhere also?

I'd be very interested ina ny more pics anyone may have of the various depts on the big top side.

Frank

Hi All,
yes Terry Andrews was a member of my staff on the Gardening Dept in those days, unfortunately he had a "problem" and left suddenly, I think his dad used to work over on the mens tailoring at one time. The electical department, white goods and small appliances were alongside the hardware at one time before the refit, T.Vs and lighting were on the first floor then, we used to share the display area in the tunnel 6 months about, Gardening during the spring and summer and electrical during the autumn and winter, after the refit they opened up the 3rd floor on the old side of the road, for a complete electical dept, the 3rd floor was originally only used for paying out the dividend 4 times a year plus the toy fair at christmas time, which when you think of the price of floor space in the city centre keeping this area unused for the best part of the year was not financially sound.

Hi All,
I worked as a Trainee Sales Manager at the Co-op from 1977-1979 and moved around departments including the basement on tools and the long lonely days in the Picture Gallery where we had pictures and tea trolleys for sale.
The canteen on the top floor was always good for food and I remember one Christmas the Evening Mail advertised the wrong date for the opening of the grotto and staff worked through the night to complete it on time.
Does anyone remember that comedian Don McClean visited the store on some promotional execise

Hi Chris, thanks for that info - what year did the refit take place? Also, do you remember someone called Margaret Wallace, who worked in the electrical dept in the basement, 1970/72?

I'd be very interested in seeing any more pics anyone might have - esp the tv and lighting dept on the first floor.
Does anyone remember Bill Dove the senior manager for electrical I think, or Dave Rollason, the manager of the TV dept?

All memories and stories greatly appreciated.

Frank

Hi Frankf
I can't put a face to Margeret Wallace, (one of my failings names), the refit at a guess was in the early to mid 70s. I well remember Bill Dove, I had many run ins with him, I found him to be very ignorant and heavy handed, fortunately I didn't work for him directly otherwise it would have been a case of pistols for two and coffee for one. Mervyn Manley who before he was Store manager was in charge of the Whitmore Road T.V. repair centre, he then became Doves number 2 and John Blackband became the repair centre manager. Dave Rollason was a great little guy in charge of the T.V. dept etc lighting supervisor was Ivy Snowden on the 1st floor, Peter Lovell was in charge of the basement electrical. The basement electrical were always short of change, bags, wrapping paper, string etc, and they were always sending someone over to me to help them out. Peter had to take early retirement through illness only a couple or three years ago.
Castle street passage before it was the picture gallery was the kitchen furniture dept run by a character named Jack Cook who had worked for the Co-op for many years, and his pal Cyril Joyce.
On the Big Top site ground floor I think Len Billingsley ran the record dept, Shirley Jones the china and glassware, somebody(Bill?) Clucas the jewellery and clocks, Alf Freer the toys etc,
The goods entrance supervisor was Harold Cooper and his mate Alan Wolverson.

Hi Chris,
amazing! some of those names you mentioned, I'd long forgotten about. I remember Mervyn Manly from Whitmore rd - did he become store manager then? I remember their department invented and designed the very first anti theft device for stores - a closed electrical loop system - a design that was quickly adopted and copied by just about every store in europe after that and is still in use today. It also incorporated pressure switches placed beneath items on shelves - if anyone lifted the item up, off went the alarm! I bet they never got the credit /patent for that.

I vaguely remember Alf Freer, I'd completely forgotten about Len Billingsley from the record dept. I remember Ivy Snowden, she had an assistant called Ann Lawrence who worked there also. The bedding and carpet depts were on the first floor also - i forget what was on the floor above - was there anything - apart from Bill Dove's office?

There was a car accessory dept on the ground floor too as I recall - at the bottom of the stairs?
And yes your'e right, Bill Dove was a miserable whatsit!

I can't place Castle street passage - where was that?

Many thanks for the memory jogs - keep it coming if theres more.

Frank

The site is currently undergoing a major rebuild - if you look thru the gap in the temporary wall, you can still see the huge goods lift at the very back of the store.

Hi Frankf,
Castle St Passage ran from the basement by the Wines & Spirits and exited into the street opposite Moor Street Station roughly, and there was a door in the wall half way along that led to Castle St goods deck, the rest of the first floor in the Big Top Site was carpets and floor coverings run by somebody ? Macdonald, and the second floor was furniniture, run by Fred Turton, and above that there was the Rainbow Suite for functions and meetings and a few offices. Do you remember Basil Bourne who used to run the Dry Goods office and when he retired it was run by Mark Thomas, who incidently died New Year 2008 aged about 58, you had a character named Dennis Downing who was manager of the Restaurant, his brother was on the board of directors.

Hi Chris: Great to read the memories of the Co-op on High Street. I left Brum to live abroad in 1963 but when I visited Brum I loved to go in there.
I remember the 3rd floor where we used to go to collect our dividend money
in the late l940's early l950's. It seemed very dark ...was it? When did the High Street store actually close please. Thanks Chris.

Hi Jennyann,
I suppose it must have seemed dark, possibly they wouldn't have had it fully illuminated like when it was used as a sales area, I am looking for the exact date of closure, but I think it would have been around 1983, I had left in 1979 and although I had kept in touch with a lot of friends I was working as Manager of the Warwick Cinema In Acocks Green at the time of closure, if I find the exact date I post later.
Regards Chris B

Hi Chris,

I realise where Castle st passage was now, I used to use it many times coming in from Moor st station or some lunchtimes. The staff entrance as you will no doubt recall, was at the end of the arcade, through the glass doors and up the stairs or in the lift - the public could also use this entrance however but not many did. I seem to remember the clocking in machine was outside the lift on the first floor - at least for us anyway. You were able to see this entrance, the stairs and lift exactly as it was then for years until very recently, but is now boarded up for the major refit.
I dont remember Basil Bourne himself but remember the name well - the guy who ran the dry goods office - occasionally I'd have to go over there to the offices for various things. Was there a Dave Bury working in the basement where you were at some point? (I may have got the name mixed up however!)

I remember the Rainbow suite and went to a few do's up there - co-op staff do's not sure if it was publicly used as a club - don't think it was- had a great pic of a few us on one such occasion but lost it over time.

Frank

Thanks Chris.....Be good to know exactly when the store did close if you happen to come across that info.

According to the book 150 years of co operative by Ned Williams the High Street Store closed in 1984.

The Rainbow suite could be hired by anyone wanting to put on a function
Regards Chris B

Hello Chris B and others,

I remember some of those names mervyn manley, john blackband, bill dove, dave rollason. My first job after leaving school was with the co-op will never forget it they used to send the aprentices to maturis on the coventry road for a tub of elbow grease. Any one remember the eds card. And yes I did go to the rainbow a couple of times. That first wage was £7.50 a week.

Shady

My Mom Hazel also worked at the High Street Co-op up until around 1979 I think. She was a supervisor in the food hall on the ground floor and worked with her friend Floss Savage. Anyone remember these two?

Back